Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 05/01/2016 18z onwards

Posted

Its one of those knife edge situations and one where your location really will be key for what is a 'good run'. I'm sure, like myself, those in the south west will not want any further westward corection in future runs, although it extends the cold spell we miss out on the potential for frontal snow, even if its tempoary. There is always the risk that we reamin cold and dry for a couple of additional days before as GFS shows we end up with a tame warm up as oposed to something a little more exciting. UKMO obviously the pick of the bunch which what looks like a continuation of undercutting if it went out further.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

Absolutely full of joy this morning the fresh clean polar air with sunshine and models showing what Steve Murr was talking about yesterday good call Steve hope the pattern holds ukmo model shown its worth.

some nice blocking let's see if we can get a nice north east or east flow certainly possible

• Like 7

Posted

I'm not sure I'm feeling quite the same love for the UKMO today!

It does go onto develop a more snowier outlook but I'd rather it was a bit sharper with the troughing at T96hrs. That's just me perhaps being overly cautious!

Indeed one could say its moved a bit towards the GFS whilst the ECM has moved towards last nights UKMO.

In terms of the ECM that shows signs of re-amplifying the upstream flow over the eastern USA by day ten which could help dig the troughing to the west further south pushing the high further ne again.

This mornings GFS has continued to edge the pattern further west and those shortwaves could bring some snow.

Overall bar my slight irritation with the UKMO a good start to the day in terms of cold prospects and the UKMO could be quite snowy.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Looks good to me! Granted this cold spell probably won't go down in the pantheon of truly memorable winter weather, it's a decent attack of cold air after the warmest December and biggest CET departure on record. Much welcomed!

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Frosty. said:

Oh Nick you are hard to please, as far as I'm concerned this is heavenly compared to the blow torch hell back in December!:D:cold-emoji:

Never assume that things will go right with this type of set up! lol Margin for error always needs to be factored in especially when you're dealing with shortwaves and undercutting. For that reason the ECM gets a Green light from me, the UKMO Orange.

The undercut isn't just down to the high to the north but the interaction upstream of low pressure which digs the cold into the eastern USA this helps to draw energy away from the main low to the west of the UK.

Anyway I'm not here to deflate the mood, I'm happy that the ECM has picked up the UKMO baton which the UKMO has fumbled with this morning. Not quite the GB relay team disasters, as everyone knows whose been here for years I tend to get picky and look for what can go wrong, once I'm happy that theres sufficient margin for error I will ramp away!

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Good Morning, still a good chart this morning from UKMO regarding cold prospects. So doubt remains regarding the quicker route to milder conditions. The UKMO still think by middle of next week a likely return to milder flow after a transitional snow event in places. However, looking at this chart and some of the other Euro models, I am not too sure. As you can see the high pressure still holds out over Iceland with a cold block now established over the British Isles. The trough disruption evident to the SW could easily transfer into mainland Europe as indicated on last nights chart. This would help the main player as I see It to produce the goods for a continued cold spell, possibly snowy weather is the continued strengthening depth of cold air over Scandinavia that could easily spawn out troughs SW wards,  as one to watch.

C

UW144-21 (2).gif

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
5 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

Looks good to me! Granted this cold spell probably won't go down in the pantheon of truly memorable winter weather, it's a decent attack of cold air after the warmest December and biggest CET departure on record. Much welcomed!

And it's still evolving, it could yet become truly memorable!:cold-emoji::D

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

Delighted with the outcomes this morning's models are showing. And though I certainly can't say it's anything I predicted, I always am optimistic that where a slowly evolving block to the east has developed and is far west enough, the models will always rush too much to push the Atlantic through and the block will prevail.  My happiest experience of this is from 1979 I believe when I went to bed just after seeing the BBC weather after the news say milder air was pushing in overnight and lookign outside to see the falling snow already turning to rain.  I woke up to Narnia! :)

However with a potential breakdown to come from the Azores, i think this may be more potent. So, although I know it's some way ahead, I think this will be the way it goes and we could end up with some pleasant days in 9-10 days times albeit with chilly nights. And potential for further cold spells in Feb

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
1 hour ago, Nick F said:

Hats off to the much maligned UKMO global model at first picking up on the stronger ridge building north into with the Atlantic and troughing going under to our SW early next week, while the main players, particularly GFS, were keen to bring in milder SWlys by early next week.

......... but the noaa 500mb charts predicted that for over a week now, so im not sure why the ukmo are getting the praise!  see the attached charts for jan 6th, and 12th, they have consistently suggested this pattern which is why some of us refused to believe the gfs mild solution. (ok the latest suggests a weakening of the ridge and the atlantic systems returning later next week? ).

814day.03b.gif

814day.03new.gif

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold or very hot
Just now, mushymanrob said:

......... but the noaa 500mb charts predicted that for over a week now, so im not sure why the ukmo are getting the praise!  see the attached charts for jan 6th, and 12th, they have consistently suggested this pattern which is why some of us refused to believe the gfs mild solution. (ok the latest suggests a weakening of the ridge and the atlantic systems returning later next week? ).

814day.03b.gif

814day.03new.gif

Indeed and they seem to think that the high pressure should last up until 26/1 according to the latest one 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
23 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

814day.03b.gif

814day.03new.gif

Yes they have, but in my post I was referring to the high res / operational outputs rather than the means or the prognostic NOAA analysis to which you refer. Of the high res runs, UKMO has done well compared to GFS in particular with EC close behind with regards to maintaining the blocking longer and put back any return of SWlys.

But agree with your last post re: the NOAA 8-14 day anomaly charts being the best source for likely pattern in that timeframe, John Holmes often bangs on about how well they verify, so good to take note of his anomaly updates when he's around.

I also find the NOAA CPC analog charts fairly good at picking up patterns too, these are based on official CPC forecasts for out to day 11 but using analogs of days in the past that matched the official forecast pattern within a 35 day time frame of the forecast period.

image.thumb.gif.69c3b3d4fac10b5af4cab119

more about how to interpret them here:

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/erf_tools_info.php?outlook=814&var=500&tool=an

Edited by Nick F
  • Like 7

Posted
7 minutes ago, Nick F said:

thanks for that Nick will bookmark the info, another source of data for checking the mid term forecasts.

Can you give me the actual link for the charts please Nick?

Edited by johnholmes
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

1958 is in there again @Nick F! ( @lorenzo take note!) 

Ensembles keen on UK ridge with Atlantic held back and by day 15 GEFS this:

gefs_z500a_nh_59.thumb.png.563964d0ff933

Close to day 13 EPS

medium term has a fairly good outlook.

• Like 9

Posted
5 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

thanks for that Nick will bookmark the info, another source of data for checking the mid term forecasts.

Can you give me the actual link for the charts please Nick?

There you go John: http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/814day/analog.php

06z looks quite progressive again, with lifting jet energy NE of the U.K.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
20 minutes ago, Nick F said:

There you go John: http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/814day/analog.php

06z looks quite progressive again, with lifting jet energy NE of the U.K.

Rtavn1922.thumb.gif.ab07fb14c9c48b109a4eRtavn1922.thumb.gif.ab07fb14c9c48b109a4eRtavn1922.thumb.gif.ab07fb14c9c48b109a4e Looks like GFS now in a rush to bring in super mild Tm overnight next Wednesday into Thursday.Any transient snow would melt away before the sleep is rubbed away from your eyes. We will see.

• Like 2

Posted

Hi all, I don't write much on here, but still read everyones thoughts and obviously learn a lot from the very knowledgable.

Am i right in thinking that you can have the worlds most expensive computer to model but at the end of the day accuracy comes from the data that you put into it. Now i was always under the belief that the areas we want to get the cold from are very data sparse areas compared to the amount of data that is available from the more zonal areas, am i right in thinking if you put a ton of data in from zonal areas and considerably less from our North that this is why models can be way too progressive for a return to normality.

Cheers Chris

• Like 1