Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 05/01/2016 18z onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

I understand that we look west on most occasions to see what is happening as this effects us later but I would be interested in comments around the ridge out east which is there on all 3 @ t144. Ukmo goes no further but ECM goes on to build this yet gfs flatterns it out. 

My thought is that if it remains would this not have the effect of slowing everything down and allowing more heights to build over or near to us?

hope this makes sense but genuinely interested in thoughts.

• Like 1

Posted

So to my untrained eye is it possible the ECM could deliver snow to more northern areas before high pressure moves in so therefore frosty with snow?

Edited by Polar Maritime
Deleted quote box.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything
9 minutes ago, Severe Siberian icy blast said:

The gfs has a deep trough north of Norway.  The ecm doesn't.  

The gfs has blew up a massive low in the atlantic with pressure down to 960mb . Where as the ecm has it at 990/985 with an undercut.  They model things quite differently but the one similarity they both have is low pressure in Europe. 

With that there the high can't sink so that in itself will keep things interesting.  

I'l challenge what you say and say it looks better this morning for a long cold spell .

Your assuming that ECM has the Arctic profile correct. ECM has a vortex parked over the pole from D5-D10 where neither GEM or GFS do. Downstream the ECM is blowing up the Russian upper high at D10 where as GFS does not. That Russian High acts as another block to prevent the UK high and Euro trough being pushed east. These are text book ECM failings at that range, and although they could be right, I suspect that ECM is playing catch up and will correct in due course. If you have a bias to over amplify, that means by D10 it is can have a totally blocked pattern when in reality it is far from that. So if the Russian high is over done then the pattern will be more mobile. I have been watching similar ECM D10 charts for years and nearly all of them backtrack, statistically they are due one to verify so this may be the one, but all I am saying is don't bank on it.

Last night's ECM D10 mean which I find hard to believe at the moment:  EDH1-240.thumb.gif.c1bd7d73bf359b59bbaa3

Posted
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme winter cold,heavy bowing snow,freezing fog.Summer 2012
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet
18 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Hmmm.

If anything I would have said GFS op run has been moving more towards ECM.

This was yesterday's GFS 0z run for Saturday 1am

gfs-0-168.png?0

and look at it now

gfs-0-144.png?0

ECM yesterday's 0z for same time

ECM1-168.GIF?00

and today's

ECM1-144.GIF?10-12

Exactly my thoughts this morning, the GFS has prolonged the cold spell with a cold high developing around 150 hours and is beginning to track ever north with each run. The UKMO and to a certain extent the ECM have remained more solid. From my observations it is the GFS which is subtly changing its projections. 

Rtavn1501.gif

• Like 7

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Yes Frosty, It will feel bitter by the end of the week. A snapshot of Thursday's snow 'potential' from the NetWx - MR Model. All subject to change..

a.pngb.png

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 4

Posted
6 minutes ago, Polar Maritime said:

Yes Frosty, It will feel bitter by the end of the week. A snapshot of Thursday's snow 'potential' from the NetWx - MR Model. All subject to change..

a.pngb.png

Basically over high ground on Thursday. The Pennines taking a good hit.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow
15 minutes ago, Polar Continental said:

Exactly my thoughts this morning, the GFS has prolonged the cold spell with a cold high developing around 150 hours and is beginning to track ever north with each run. The UKMO and to a certain extent the ECM have remained more solid. From my observations it is the GFS which is subtly changing its projections. 

Rtavn1501.gif

Yes I have been studying the GFS Ensembles for a few days now and the point where the massive scatter starts in terms of the 850 temperatures is always stuck around T144 with the cold spell being prolonged within that timeframe in the meantime.

It seems to me that the GFS is being persistently overly progressive with the pattern but at the same time it refuses to do a full backtrack just to extend the drama day by day which always seems to be around the T120/144 mark.

Still great to see how it all unfolds though.  Cold and snow for many this week that is for sure.....

• Like 4

Posted

FRI looks like better potential for a decent accumulation down south, colder air than in place on Thursdays potential.

Posted

Ecm is slightly above avg re temps on Thursday/Friday but has considerable snow for the east and the wash/Lincs on Thursday then snow on Friday for the west I.e Cheshire Wales and a little for the sw going from precip charts

a long way down the road, but areas of snow potential for certain. Wider possibilities for snow on Thursday are much more uncertain. 

Edited by Iceberg

Posted

I see the UKMO is back to its old tricks! I was thinking we might have less drama but oh no!

The differences start early upstream around T96hrs with how the models handle shortwaves running in from the Pacific, the net result is the UKMO develops this shortwave it runs across the Canadian/USA border and helps to sharpen up the troughing to the west as it interacts with the PV lobe.

Downstream the more sharpened up troughing helps to develop the ridge further north. The GEM shows something similar in terms of a favourable interaction between the PV lobe to the nw and shortwaves running east.

Hopefully NCEP will have some thoughts on these interactions, we'll see whether its a case of the UKMO/GEM leading each other up the garden path or whether theres something to their different view.

Well I think this says it all, the WPC extended outlook:

MEDIUM RANGE GUIDANCE REMAIMS IN LARGER SCALE AGREEMENT WITH THE IDEA OF STEADILY PROGRESSIVE PACIFIC ENERGIES RIDING INTO THE LOWER 48 UNDERNEATH MORE BLOCKY NRN STREAM FLOW ACROSS THE HIGHER LATITUDES. HOWEVER...AMPLE DETERMINISTIC MODEL AND ENSEMBLE MEMBER FORECAST SPREAD AND RUN TO RUN VARIANCE ISSUES WITH FLOW EMBEDDED SYSTEMS AND STREAM INTERACTION EMPHASIS SEEM TO SUGGEST PREFFERENCE FOR A MORE CONSISTENT/SMOOTHED ENSEMBLE MEAN BASED FORECAST APPROACH. ACCORDINGLY...WPC MEDIUM RANGE SURFACE FRONTS/PRESSURES AND 500 MB PROGS WERE PRIMARILY DERIVED FROM THE REASONABLY COMPATABLE 18 UTC GEFS MEAN AND 12 UTC ECMWF ENSEMBLE MEAN. MANUAL FORECASTER ADJUSTMENTS WERE ALSO APPLIED TO MAINTAIN WPC CONTINUITY IN A COMPLEX PATTERN WITH SEVERAL INTERESTING WINTERY SYSTEMS WITH BELOW AVERAGE PREDICTABILITY.

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
46 minutes ago, Polar Maritime said:

a.pngb.png

The Pennines look to be in line for a pasting if that comes off but, as is often the case, altitude is key and most on here will be looking at a sleety mess, at least until the colder air digs in.

i just hope that we can get get some widespread cold and snow from this upcoming spell so, for a short while at least, white can replace wet across the country and not just be a high ground affair.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Blizzard, Hot & Sunny
16 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

FRI looks like better potential for a decent accumulation down south, colder air than in place on Thursdays potential.

This is very marginal. It seems anything south of London has temperatures round 4-5 degress

Posted

Sub zero 850s for ALL of the UK for ALL of the  ECM run. Winter doth cometh.

Disturbances running South East:

ECM1-120.GIF?10-12

• Like 8

Posted
14 minutes ago, liam300 said:

This is very marginal. It seems anything south of London has temperatures round 4-5 degress

Timings may be critical, temps will quickly fall after dark so as long as precip coincides with this , we may have a chance.

• Like 1