Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 05/01/2016 18z onwards

Posted
20 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Well not an SSW, it would take a lot more after that but it isn't as good as I thought tbh.

gfsnh-10-384.png?18

It looked about 5 or 6 frames before the end to be far ahead of previous runs, I expected to see red near to the North pole, still very decent though but probably not worthy of my original post, more runs needed.

The 12Z parallel also flirting with this.

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?ech=204&code=0&mode=10&runpara=1&carte=1#

4rZZ54x.png

• Like 3

Posted

I see the models are trying to make the best out of what we got, just think it could of been so much better even without the proper Greenland high if the trough that is over us now cleared as quickly as the Euro models first forecast, therefore if things did get messy and slack like they are going to be it seems, then at least we could be more confident about things being on the right side of marginal. 

It certainly going to be a forecaster's nightmare next week, one thing that might favour snowfall is that there shouldn't be too much wind so evaporative cooling could well take affect. Hopefully the cold can be extended as much as it can but it be foolish to read too much into the outputs beyond the medium timeframe at this moment in time. 

Despite what some say on here, the GFS has been spotting trends lately and proving to be right if albeit some of the details on each run does leave something to be desired but take away from that, never discount what the GFS says at times. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow
2 minutes ago, Earnest Easterly* said:

To add some contrast in here not to be taken seriously It really does turn very ugly, as blocking wanes and dissolves, with PV wanting to reconsolidate into a scary sight, giving way to very mild conditions, with long fetch SW'lies from Azores with the return of the fat Euro Slug, RIP the rest of January, although Knocker wouldn't mind he might pop out his woodshed. A lot of water to go under the bridge, oh I do hate cliches. 

image.thumb.png.2f080741f595effc0652ef23

I know it is only just one run and shouldn't be taken seriousily ut that takes us almost back to square one and the mild December we have just endured.

It really has been an amazing 5 days with some quite incredible charts on Tuesday a la December 2010,then a backtrack to less cold conditions and today models have swung more in favour of quite a decent cold spell for some with elevation playing a key part in terms of snowfall. If we can get the cold in and it lasts till this time next week or even longer I am still holding on to GPs comments and Tamara"s comments and hope that their thoughts come to fruition going into the final third of January. Interesting times compared to last 2 winters ...:)   

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

That's yesterdays day 5 chart Carinthian (not sure why it hasn't updated on meteociel but it has on here)

Day5.png

The front clearing the south east will likely have some back edge snow on it, actually a rain to snow event looks most likely in my view with cold air digging in behind that front with the 528 dam line well south of the UK by then.

This coming week shows a lot of disturbances and with conditions turning increasingly cold, so does the chances of snow at low levels.

Edited by Captain Shortwave
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
Just now, Nouska said:

Good spot, I haven't been following the parallel as religiously as I used to, has the parallel got any early signs of good verification?, probably one for Recretos to answer really

Posted
2 minutes ago, Captain Shortwave said:

That's yesterdays day 5 chart Carinthian (not sure why it hasn't updated on meteociel but it has on here)

Day5.png

Looks good to me :)

Posted

Its funny although the easterly drama of last week went pearshaped the cold that left to the ne has resulted in some unusually cold 850's showing up on the UKMO charts for the actual synoptics on show.

Roughly -8 Midlands to around -10 towards Scotland at T120hrs.

• Like 3

Posted
10 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Its funny although the easterly drama of last week went pearshaped the cold that left to the ne has resulted in some unusually cold 850's showing up on the UKMO charts for the actual synoptics on show.

Roughly -8 Midlands to around -10 towards Scotland at T120hrs.

Surely that's guaranteed snow territory in terms of PPN type?

Edited by feb1991blizzard
  • Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Surely that's guaranteed snow territory in terms of PPN snow?

You are similar to me height wise around 200m - should be good enough i would have thought :)

asit stands :cold:

Edited by northwestsnow
  • Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

You are similar to me height wise around 200m - should be good enough i would have thought :)

asit stands ;)

I get the feeling though that there just isn't going to be enough PPN around, lower 500mb temps thus steeper lapse rates in between fronts would be great giving higher cloud tops.

Polar low definitely off the menu now.

Posted
Just now, feb1991blizzard said:

I get the feeling though that there just isn't going to be enough PPN around, lower 500mb temps thus steeper lapse rates in between fronts would be great giving higher cloud tops.

You could be right, but there appears to be a fairly sturdy trough pushing SE - im guessing the irish sea will aid precipitation intensity as the system moves in.

All conjecture at this range might push through NI/Wales yet, i wouldnt be suprised.

Posted
2 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Surely that's guaranteed snow territory in terms of PPN snow?

That's just off the raw output and using that 850 guide. I think inland away from coastal regions with that onshore flow will help and of course your altitude certainly helps. Unfortunately the UKMO keep too much data under lock and key as if protecting the Crown Jewels!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Yes Nick just been doing the Meteociel upper air temp look on UKMO charts using the Pressure, Dam Line table. 

850.png.2cff4dc576a82ee4af5c398cf8df2a10

Edited by Mark N
  • Like 2

Posted
Just now, Mark N said:

Yes Nick just been doing the Meteociel upper air temp look on UKMO charts using the Pressure, Damn Line table.

850.png.2cff4dc576a82ee4af5c398cf8df2a10

Yes that's the guide, its certainly a help but it would be even better if the UKMO would just be less stingy with their data. Be careful apparently the UKMO Data Protection Unit will be after us for having the cheek to try and decipher their cryptic outputs! lol

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

A day of mixed emotions watching the models.....always better when the mix ends up in optimism at the end of the day, though nothing yet is suggesting that a prolonged cold spell is anything more than 50/50 at best at the moment

I won't believe we are going to enter a pattern that will endure well into February until I see GP's torpedo listed in Nick F's signature :)

• Like 2

Posted

gensnh-21-7-384_fqj8.png

Ens mean now quite significantly starting to back up some sort of warming event at 10mb, cant help thinking though its not going to be the silver bullet (SSW), chiono would have already told us it was likely to start coming in range if that was the case, he's usually cock hot when it comes to predicting modelling of SSW's

Posted

Tamara - what did you make of that strange loop the GFS threw up in phase 8 the other day if you don't mind me asking?  It certainly seems to explain why the GFS has been at odds with other models.  It's interesting to see that you think that speed of the MJO is underplayed in the early phases.  If correct it means Feb could be very interesting.

Edited by Trom
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Blizzard, Hot & Sunny

Looking at the latest GFS, it doesn't look good for the snow on the south coast. Marginal in terms of cold and precipitation 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

2016 eclipses it in response extremes. In truth, I am finding comparative analogues impossible anyway to find based on the uniqueness of  the ocean/atmosphere state of 2015/16

Maybe T because one might have to go back to Dalton or Maunder times

BFTP

• Like 1

Posted

http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_panel.php?modele=0&mode=6&ech=192

GFS 18Z ens - I count 8 out of 20 still on a cold northerly by T192.

Been a strange few days for the GFS - the ensembles remain in no-mans-land.

Having taken in all the output of the last few days, I'm wondering if a High Pressure centred somewhere NW of Scotland is our next destination after D7

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

10 mb looking v interesting ... 

IMG_20160110_000333.jpg

• Like 6

Posted
1 minute ago, lorenzo said:

10 mb looking v interesting ... 

IMG_20160110_000333.jpg

Looks better although doesn't the blue blob right up in the right hand corner spoil it a little?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Beginning with S ending with W ;)

Some signs showing for extended period? 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Sounds even more encouraging Stratospherically speaking then :whistling:  Certainly encouraging that tweet with longer range models showing good signs. 

• Like 1