Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 05/01/2016 18z onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Beginning with S ending with W ;)

Well currently Scotland is having good bit of snow especially further south, Glasgow has slightly suprising snowfall too with heaviest snow falling just now and hasn't gone above 2-3 degress. With all that said Scotland should expect at least 10-14days of cold weather with continued snowfalls I would assume. I don't think the latest model changes will have much of an impact on temps in Scotland compared to further south. Then the following week seems to be undecided with the subtropical and energy around Greenland area.

Edited by Bullseye
  • Like 2

Posted

Gefs between t144 and t200 show us nothing.  Almost every scenario you can think of and most starting early in the run. Quite a few cold ones though but pretty much anything is up for grabs.

ecm will not prove anything imho as I have no doubt it will be total disarray amongst its members. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything
1 minute ago, gottolovethisweather said:

And what would this likely result in down the line IDO, serious question? I'm talking about mid-range rather than D10 or beyond.

Not sure, depends where the WAA and associated ridging goes from the cut off low. Though the op has been consistent over the last three runs and the GEFS are now following suite. So an upper ridge east of the LP and then a surface high developing from there is reasonable. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......
1 minute ago, Minus 10 said:

Ensemble 16 or 17 please ECM

gensnh-16-1-180.thumb.png.2db7374238bdefgensnh-17-0-180.thumb.png.783d7fa2b182b5gensnh-17-1-180.thumb.png.97d4373df4a503

There were three perturbations that, by 90h, were modelling the Arctic by not shunting the high away and keeping it more in line with the CPC charts, those being 5, 7 & 17. It is no surprise to see how different they turn out to what the op and its cluster show days down the line. Who models the Arctic the best?

Posted

Lets just be glad that the GFS operational wasn't like GFS ESMEMBLES member 13

gens-13-1-300.png

gens-13-1-312.png

gens-13-0-324.png

gens-13-2-312.png

Only to see on the esembles it was a huge cold outliar lol

Edited by Harsh Climate
  • Like 1

Posted

Overall a disappointing start to the evenings outputs. At least we can put the UKMO trauma behind us until the next one appears!

Still one wonders how on earth it got the pattern so wrong at just T96hrs. That's normally the preserve of the GFS. I wonder what awaits us on the ECM?

On a lighter note the GFS operationals have been dumped by NCEP from the 13th and aren't included in the WPC outlook past that point.

Edit that, given the time of that update its definitely not including either 00hrs or 06hrs runs. As for the 12hrs we'll know more later in the State forecasts.

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 7

Posted
17 minutes ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

GEM to the rescue.....wll just shows...who knows?

gem-0-210.png?12

BFTP

Gem was the Model that wouldn't agree with the big 3, when they were showing the Cigar charts . Now it is showing the opposite gives us all faith

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning

Hard not to be negative, GFS seems to have been the trend setter in recent times, UKMO has taken a step towards it and fully expect the Ecm to agree. And also more ensembles starting to back the OP. If we get cross model agreement I think we can kiss goodbye to a cold spell. ECM is crucial tonight I think, but on the positive side next week will get a lot colder with snow for some. Cmon ECM.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

The cma pulls one out the bag,huge dumping of snow at 144hrs,IF that was to verify of cause,but a possibility:D

cmanh-0-144.thumb.png.91a7c6a35eabcc0542cmanh-1-144.thumb.png.be1805ba1eff89171ecmanh-2-144.thumb.png.3bb0c6d69f793f872a

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

GFS ensembles London (ish) not pretty but the Op was progressive and on the  mild side.

Diagramme GEFS

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Mucka said:

GFS ensembles London (ish) not pretty but the Op was progressive and on the  mild side.

Diagramme GEFS

Indeed - the ensembles are trending the wrong way and fast!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
6 minutes ago, snowangel32 said:

We know things are going downhill fast when we have to show the GEM, JMA, CMA, NASA models lol.:rofl:

It's still model discussion though snowangel,you never know,cma it could be right:p:)

Edited by Allseasons-si
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Exciting weather!
Just now, snowangel32 said:

We know things are going downhill fast when we have to show the GEM, JMA, CMA, NASA models lol.:rofl:

.....I seem to remember the CMA being correct though on the 3rd July 2005 at +48hrs, so keep the faith :) 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

That GEM run... how did I overlook that? It's a great representation of what's possible so long as the blocking is held in place to our NW, even if the NAO becomes more west-based with the jet firing underneath.

The target for the ECM 12z det. has been acquired.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
2 minutes ago, stratty said:

.....I seem to remember the CMA being correct though on the 3rd July 2005 at +48hrs, so keep the faith :) 

You'd have a hard job, pretty sure it didn't exist for public viewing back then!

• Like 1