Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather Patterns

Those 850's aren't to be sniffed at.

gfs-1-192.png

Edited by Polar Maritime
To move discussion on..
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
13 minutes ago, Iceberg said:

The sub tropical air does not come through on this run and instead in the Day 7-9 timeframe the Tm is pushed northwards as WAA. Far too many judging a very complicated set up too early, but it goes to show the total uncertainty still in the models.

Totally agree Iceberg,best to look at 12z only for more exact variation but peruse the other runs. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Still plenty of cold air on the 06z for next week

gfs-1-102.png?6gfs-1-126.png?6gfs-1-150.png?6gfs-1-174.png?6gfs-1-198.png?6

Then later next weekend and into the following week milder air pushes back in as the flow turns more south westerly

gfs-1-222.png?62432232.thumb.png.191e98a9dd837f36350100

Many more runs before next weekend it will turn colder next week it should also be a lot drier and lets face it many areas are in desperate need of something drier now some parts will also get some wintry showers some won't

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

The GFS 6z continues to show a cold Northerly flow into next week, With overnight sub-zero temps and the chance of snow showers almost anywhere. The usual choppy synoptic's further into the runs continue as expected.. 

a.pngb.pngc.png

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Poor 6z again, a small coldish blast is replaced by yet more SW mush. Real cold ends up in the Balkans again. How can it be that we have a rampant jet and no blocking in December leading to the awful mildness we had.....then we get a massive arctic high, Greenland high, AO and NAO all in our favour.....yet still potentially end up with the same cack weather. Just doesn't seem fair at all!

• Like 3

Posted
5 minutes ago, s4lancia said:

I hope the 06z has highlighted the uncertainties of this upcoming cold spell to those already writing it off on this forum. Not a stella run by any stretch of the imagination (up to D7) but it handles the deep (relatively speaking) sub tropical low differently (that will become a common theme) and et viola we are heading off down a different route again mid term...

Going to be some wild variations in the offing over the next few days I feel. Those of a nervous disposition should take a break for a while.

Indeed, and on that basis, the latest from Ian Fergusson on Twitter (in response to a query about model output):

"All models are currently experiencing high sensitivity to initial (starting) conditions, and this level of volatility in outcome is not expected to improve quickly. So no solution can be considered definitive. ….And sure enough, the model chaos continues, and is expected to do so for a while".

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!
1 minute ago, mb018538 said:

Poor 6z again, a small coldish blast is replaced by yet more SW mush. Real cold ends up in the Balkans again. How can it be that we have a rampant jet and no blocking in December leading to the awful mildness we had.....then we get a massive arctic high, Greenland high, AO and NAO all in our favour.....yet still potentially end up with the same cack weather. Just doesn't seem fair at all!

I don't think this has been sorted out yet, there will be lot's more changing. And with these sypnotics, you'd have to be excited about even further cold and snow prospects after next week's cold spell, which still looks fairly decent for alot of the country. Regardless, the runs will continue to play around with different scenario's, fear not.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Paul_1978 said:

Indeed, and on that basis, the latest from Ian Fergusson on Twitter (in response to a query about model output):

"All models are currently experiencing high sensitivity to initial (starting) conditions, and this level of volatility in outcome is not expected to improve quickly. So no solution can be considered definitive. ….And sure enough, the model chaos continues, and is expected to do so for a while".

Absolutely, The wild swings of late certainly tell the story over the past few days. Big changes in the Arctic as the models toy with different height placings. 

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 3

Posted

What an over reaction, just have a look through the GFS ensembles from the 0z and despite the OP and control going blowing up after day 8 as usual, I would say over 60% of the ensembles maintain some kind of cold flow.

UKMO still looks very good to me, GFS 6z I don't normally look at as much as 0z and 12z but had a quick look and still looking positive to me and I'm in one the worst possible positions to benefit from any of the white stuff.

Going to take a look at the postage stamps when I can but the ECM blows up that low after day 6/7 unrealistically IMO.

Edited by Weathizard
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning

9 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

It looks none to shabby to me possible ice days and snow and harsh frosts. And you really can't take the models serious at present they are all over the place read Fergies tweets.

Edited by snowangel32
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder & Lightning, Thundersnow, Storms, Heatwave

This is very rare that NHC publish something like this in January, not common at all. This is a feature that's going to cause the models and us some pain over the next few days. 

image.thumb.png.03bdc9d45aaa55e4b78d8bf2

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, freezes, bitterly cold and icy. Thunderstorms and heatwaves!

Models are all over the place as it stands, anything could happen. Let's enjoy the cold snap at least and see what happens there on.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning
6 minutes ago, bradythemole said:

This is very rare that NHC publish something like this in January, not common at all. This is a feature that's going to cause the models and us some pain over the next few days. 

Hi what does that mean is it showing the predicted track or is it estimating severity. :cc_confused:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

I think some (including myself) are being misinterpreted here!

It's the exact points flagged on why so early I dismissed carrying on watching the 6z gfs

Not for point of whimpering away and sulking due to given synoptics 'but' the cross current model confusion!  

Its still very much an open  book with next week and beyond. 

However. ..I still don't think our real winter outbreak come from current model evolutions!!!

• Like 1

Posted

Some posts are regrettably having to be hidden again. Please remember there is a winter thread open for general chat/moans/ramps good run/bad run and the likes.. Just sensible 'Model Output Discussion' with charts to back up posts in here. 

Thanks, Please continue.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

ironic that the gfs 6z better than the ecm and the ukmo seems better than all.

so does this sub tropical feature aid the Greenland heights the 6z gfs don't look terrible and as was posted some tasty upper 850s so all is not lost.

and to be fair GP did say that it could well be west based nao.

but I'm happy to see some strength to the block in and around the Greenland and arctic.

the worse thing about all this is the drama is set to continue until a pattern is locked in and I should really know better than to call game over before its even here but I cant really see an overly exciting snow event here in the sunny costa south coast its so rare I'm thinking of moving.

but all jokes aside there is support from the ens that Greenland block becomes west based lets just keep the faith.

as nick Sussex and nick L have suggested all very messy but cant wait for the 12z now and I will wait for all the runs before jumping the gun.

but interesting model watching all the same.

• Like 2

Posted

With forecasters still saying the weekend is uncertain, the initial starting point for the models will also be uncertain, so massive variability will occur.

2 days ago there wasn't a sub tropical low, now there is, the atmosphere is all over the place which model watching is great fun at the moment.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
1 minute ago, bradythemole said:

Well lets hope it heads for Africa. 

It's not uncommon for tropical storms to meander in the Atlantic and actually head back in the same place they came from. Tropical storms and Hurricanes is where I turn my attention to every summer. So this is far from over(in terms of where it goes), it is incredibly difficult to predict where these storms track.

• Like 2