Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 05/01/2016 18z onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

As highlighted above..

By IDO.

That Bermuda LP 'could' be the spoiler. ..but the track and ultimate setting will be defining! 

AND STILL OPEN TO LARGE UNCERTAINTY! 

Posted
1 minute ago, nick sussex said:

Well that blxxdy Azores low. Just sitting there waiting to phase with the shortwave energy heading down from Iceland, this has been troubling me for days.

At worst any phasing needs to takes place with the pattern sufficiently se. Very disappointing outputs from the GFS/ECM. The UKMO somehow refusing to phase this shortwave energy. This morning I did a rather strange thing, I went straight to the fax charts and at T84hrs I thought great its stuck to its guns so then thought surely it can't still be an outlier only to be met by the underwhelming ECM/GFS.

I'm shocked that the UKMO hasn't backed down, we are talking here of massive differences within T96hrs. Anyway in an effort to find some crumbs of comfort I will do my best to see what NCEP think of the upstream patterns and see if theres any mileage in the UKMO.

Nick I do remember from previous failed cold spells that UKMO was always the last model to back down. Could it be a case that it's lower resolution is not picking up on the details that often act as "spoilers" in these setups?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
2 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Well that blxxdy Azores low. Just sitting there waiting to phase with the shortwave energy heading down from Iceland, this has been troubling me for days.

At worst any phasing needs to takes place with the pattern sufficiently se. Very disappointing outputs from the GFS/ECM. The UKMO somehow refusing to phase this shortwave energy. This morning I did a rather strange thing, I went straight to the fax charts and at T84hrs I thought great its stuck to its guns so then thought surely it can't still be an outlier only to be met by the underwhelming ECM/GFS.

I'm shocked that the UKMO hasn't backed down, we are talking here of massive differences within T96hrs. Anyway in an effort to find some crumbs of comfort I will do my best to see what NCEP think of the upstream patterns and see if theres any mileage in the UKMO.

Mods may say this is off topic but please bare with me, i have a genuine point here, why are they backing an outlier solution on the FAX yet their text forecast is and has always backed the solution that the GFS/ECM (broadly speaking) now shows?

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes
1 minute ago, tight isobar said:

As highlighted above..

By IDO.

That Bermuda LP 'could' be the spoiler. ..but the track and ultimate setting will be defining! 

I agree it also if it runs east and not northeast threw into france along southern England could be a real snow fest so all hope is not lost but very disappointed to see the ecm remove our block we need northern blocking to sustain its location or move east otherwise vortex re locates in the area where we don't want it.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow
1 hour ago, knocker said:

Partly cloudy this morning with Cu and Sc. Temp 8C and wind SW 15mph

The cognoscenti over on the MOD thread have gone into one of their meltdowns this morning. Personally I find the formation of this low from the tropical cyclone very interesting from a meteorological perspective but even with ecm support this morning if this actually pans out as currently predicted I'll cavort naked on Brown Willy.

Knocker is having none of it though IDO (see above!)  :D

13 minutes ago, IDO said:

That LP system from Bermuda looks like it is definitely heading in our general direction and there is a 30% chance it blowing up by the middle of next week according to the warning issued:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Looking at the very latest UKMO it would have to make a big turn around this evening to come in line with ECM same time model. The big difference on this picture is the position of the low to the east and the strength of the Atlantic high. This would advance the Arctic feed quicker than the other models. An erratic movement to start the week but the cold flow well established later. So I would go for a progressive colder week with bands of snow/ sleet in the circulation but more importantly drier week ahead for many. Hope this model in correct, a lot of assumption about a break down from the Southwest that can easily flip back to another scenario.

C

Rukm1441.gif

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Mind you i don't think the UKMO is perfect either, not sharp enough ridging IMO to bring a really bitter blast down and slice the Arctic completely, plus its not messy enough and would just give coasts showers, where as the other models are too messy with the shortwave pattern thus the cold never really makes it at all.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

If nothing does come of this, I want access to some of the data the meto and accuweather have been using! Both said yesterday they had doubts over anything sustained, and there is a greater chance than ever of this being true today.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
11 minutes ago, tight isobar said:

As highlighted above..

By IDO.

Well i hope it "spoils" near me i as i love deep snow.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, radiohead said:

Nick I do remember from previous failed cold spells that UKMO was always the last model to back down. Could it be a case that it's lower resolution is not picking up on the details that often act as "spoilers" in these setups?

The UKMO's resolution should be fine. Its not just about the Azores low though its the handling upstream. Very bizarre because within T96hrs in this type of set up we shouldn't be seeing this much divergence.

• Like 3

Posted
20 minutes ago, No Balls Like Snow Balls said:

The dramatic changes are because it's 10 days away LOL. Honestly nothing ever changes in this thread.

I made a comment yesterday asking what the difference was to normal as it still looked like 7-10 days away and the cold could be gone on the next runs but being a newbie chart reader had no 'experience'. It just didn't feel right. Hopefully it flips back we'll see but big changes on the latest runs 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything
1 minute ago, Kentish Snowman said:

Knocker is having none of it though IDO (see above!)  :D

Yes it is early days for that feature to verify with respect to potency and direction of travel. Knocker's vast experience and knowledge is always worth taking note of and I do agree. To me it was more that this very rare shortwave development ~could~ disrupt the mid latitude long wave pattern just when we were seeing some strong WAA into Greenland. 

Posted

I'm also surprised the UKMO has not backed down however me optimism soon faded when I saw the GFS/ECM runs. Now I think its still a little too premature that we will get a west based NAO seeing as most runs especially the ECM but some GFS runs also has not went for this so I still would not worry too much about that just yet but i just can't buy into the UKMO's thinking the trigger low/trough will head eastwards as quickly as it saying it would. ECM has backed down slightly on this but really the big spoiler in all this really is the stubbornness of shifting the trough from the UK, it just delays and modifies the cold air. 

Still a very small chance the UKMO is correct in its projection and if it is, a west based NAO is less likely but more runs is needed too see if a west based NAO is going to be the trend forward. 

The outlook will probably turn a bit colder but to be honest it seems too much to ask for a nice strong clean cold flow of air, its all messy and complicated unfortunately and there are hints the cold may not last all that long. 

Posted
14 minutes ago, mulzy said:

The De Bilt ECM ensembles are trending the wrong way BUT still huge uncertainty after day 7.

http://projects.knmi.nl/exp/pluim/vijftiendaagse/index.php?run=00

Quite a big shift in just 12 hours...

Still a lot of cold clustering there, bearing in mind the pattern may lead De Bilt to be warmer than the UK in most synoptic variations

• Like 2

Posted

I think the GFS just about to run will trend colder, not like yesterday's runs but still better...just a hunch.

• Like 3

Posted

I think given the timeframes involved if the UKMO has actually picked up on the right trend then we should see this in the GFS 06hrs run.

Even allowing for the GFS 06hrs run not being viewed as the best the extra 6 hours of newer data and the fact its what happens before T120hrs should mean that if theres anything to the UKMO it would edge towards it.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
26 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

Comparing the ECM spreads with the mean at T168, you can see they're still pretty happy with a Greenland High (indicated by blue shading on spreads chart over Greenland), but there is a uncertainty over how far troughing from the north gets towards Canada + tropical low getting north (green blobs in the Atlantic) and how far troughing over Canada gets towards Greenland (yellow blob off NE Canada). 

EDH1-168.GIF?08-12

EEH1-168.GIF?08-12

The presence of troughing between Shetland and Norway looks consistently modelled throughout the ens, as shown by the dark blues/purples in that location. Now I would say, for once, that this makes some sort of N/NWly feed over the UK more likely than not, as getting a pattern to avoid a northerly from this situation is actually quite complex.

Indeed MWB, just to back that up, the operational does seem on the highside for London..

Diagramme ECMWF/CEP

So very much a case of more runs needed. Until we have consistency this s not nailed on. if the the subtropical low does veer more east than north east, or just stays put, well we will see a different outcome.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

^^^ I wouldn't be surprised to see the 6z gfs churn up a 1947 synoptics. .

Given the current situation. .I think just about anything is synoptic'ly possi:cc_confused::cc_confused::cc_confused:ble

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.
2 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

I think given the timeframes involved if the UKMO has actually picked up on the right trend then we should see this in the GFS 06hrs run.

Even allowing for the GFS 06hrs run not being viewed as the best the extra 6 hours of newer data and the fact its what happens before T120hrs should mean that if theres anything to the UKMO it would edge towards it.

Was thinking the same, Nick. Awaiting with interest, for once.:)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

The GFS P shows the Subtropical low going east, so thats good news in my book.

gfsnh-0-198.png?0

Although it ends in tears soon after.

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 1