Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 05/01/2016 18z onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Well apart from a brief less cold blip where low pressure rides over the Atlantic ridge the GFS is cold and potentially snowy all the way to the end with a monster Euro/Scandi trough developing in low resolution.

Still a long way to go and questions about whether we can build a high latitude block in a region favourable for us is going to be a big debate.

If we can get the day 6/7 charts currently on offer I suspect a toppler would be very hard to achieve with strong positive heights to our west and strongly negative ones to our east/south east.

So addressing the high latitude block;

The GFS has toyed with the Greenland high over the past couple of runs with varying success, the 06z achieved this but sucked it away leaving a west based -NAO, ironically the failure on the 12z actually delivers a colder run with the Atlantic ridge still in place even at day 16.

gfsnh-0-144.png?12gfsnh-0-186.png?12gfsnh-0-240.png?12

Low resolution

gfsnh-0-300.png?12gfsnh-0-360.png?12

This fits reasonably well with the current ens guidance with the pattern remaining similar throughout.

The GEM is fairly similar to the GFS to day 10, a faster development of the cold pattern (Close to the UKMO, but a faster transition to a brief more settled and less cold spell at day 10).

So that leaves the UKMO

Modele UKMO - Carte prévisions

Now this certainly catches my eye, more else but for the potential to develop a high latitude block east of Greenland (potentially aligned between Iceland and Svalbard). So a block directly north of the UK with a deep cut off trough over Europe with winds east of north, certainly more so than the GFS/GEM solutions this afternoon.

A lot of interest and some serious potential beyond 4/5 days away when the current Atlantic trough clears eastwards and allow polar maritime and eventually an Arctic maritime airmass to sink across the UK.

Edited by Captain Shortwave
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Beginning with S ending with W ;)

Few US guys mentioning about how the negative NAO in mid/long range is nothing like past 2 winters (which where brutal in US) but more of a tradition NAO, does this mean more central or east based like what GP was referring to last night. Going by tonight's runs we seem to be heading towards a negative anyway.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.
1 minute ago, Harsh Climate said:

As great as this run is it offers little snow for 90-95% of the country! With coastal areas/northern scotland/northern ireland getting a pasting. 

What's great about this run is the potential and how it may develop though.

Yes i think that's the best way to look at it.:)

The main point is the cold starts to land in Scotland around 11/12th and nationwide by 13th with uppers circa -5 to -8c up north.If anything UKMO a little quicker with that.

Plenty of disturbances around the upper trough just to our east by then along with possible channel runner as Captain S mentioned earlier.

A decent run by GFS with the cold never really lifting.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings
4 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

Nor sure exactly where it starts to diverge (at work, so awkward to full-screen the charts to compare runs), but I'm not sure the 12Z in the middle stages bears much resemblance to the 06Z, never mind the latter stages.

Undoubtedly, and to be honest I think we're still a fair way from a done deal (as far as cold longevity goes). The storm that spins up off the coast of Canada at T174 was there on the 6z and it helps to reinvigorate the WAA into Greenland. But as ever it's timing, alignment, shortwaves, etc, etc. So many moving parts. Who knows?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
14 minutes ago, Harsh Climate said:

As great as this run is it offers little snow for 90-95% of the country! With coastal areas/northern scotland/northern ireland getting a pasting

What's great about this run is the potential and how it may develop though.

Don't worry, this setup is ripe for polar lows to form and unexpected shortwaves to develop.

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm sunny days with the odd cloud.
3 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Don't worry, this setup is ripe for polar lows to form and unexpected shortwaves to develop.

True polar lows are extremely rare..so I have been told on here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

Just got in from work and wow ha a GFS !!:yahoo::yahoo:.However, what is more positive is that a good cold trend is developing from the Models now in the semi reliable timeframe. Not popping the champagne corks yet as I have seen things go TU on mny occasions but think I might enjoy a nice glass of chilled Sav blanc this evening.

Coldies have waited 2 years for these synoptics and hope the weather gods play ball now !!  

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
Just now, fat chad said:

The last one I can recall, was in February 1969: from light graupel with no wind, at 2C, to driving snow at -5C, all within about 30 minutes. I think that the pattern then was very similar to what the GFS is suggesting...Here's hoping!:drunk-emoji:

• Like 8

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Fantastic GFS again tonight with even stronger heights over Greenland/Poles, With re-load potential.  All about the detail now.. 

a.png

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
2 minutes ago, fat chad said:

They are but if any setup could deliver one, its this, you can see the isobars curving and wave type features, its not your straight isobar, wishbone type Northerly, I thing polar lows form to the NW - NNW of british isles, I think it depends on exactly how cold it gets way above 850mb though.

Posted

For me the 12z GFS is the best run since late Feb/early March 2006 - we could be looking at around 10" / 12 " of snow by next weekend

Edited by Zerouali lives
  • Like 2

Posted

Mucka - I wouldn't be looking for shortwave spoilers on the ens 

they are far more likely to appear on ops and the few that show up on ens members are less likely to verify

they are only there to keep you on edge !

• Like 2

Posted

We are now starting to be shown a bit of consistency in the output. Different variations, but on the whole much colder and certainly the best chance of nationwide wintry weather this winter. We now need to see this theme maintained for the next few days. Specifics I don't care about, we can nail that down nearer the time. What I don't want to see is any of the models starting to abandon ship now. We have seen it loads of times in winters past, so I for one will not be dusting off the sledge for a while yet. But, I think we can safely say it will be more "seasonal" as we go through next week. About bloody time as well.

Posted
24 minutes ago, Stormeh said:

What a great 12z from the GFS!

Does anyone know if it's possible for polar lows to form in this kind of setup? thanks.

Polar lows ideally require 500mb temps to be -40C or colder for formation - ideal set up shown on the GFS 12Z run. Earlier part is more on the west coast but look at this moving down the North sea in the low-res section.

gfs-13-240.png?12

All subject to change but a long time since such potential seen.

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?mode=13&ech=204#

Edited by Nouska
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

12z is a stonker I must say. Pretty much all of Europe and UK going into the freezer with brutal cold on stand by to tap into. 

The extent south of the cold is mind boggling too, with even morocco seeing a potential snow event, especially over the Atlas Mountains! 

Edited by East_England_Stormchaser91
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!
6 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Mucka - I wouldn't be looking for shortwave spoilers on the ens 

they are far more likely to appear on ops and the few that show up on ens members are less likely to verify

they are only there to keep you on edge !

Agreed but I was just giving a summary of what the ensembles show, I actually de-emphasised them in my post.

GFS short ensembles central England.

Diagramme GEFSDiagramme GEFS

Cold programmed to be here from the 13th according to these.

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 3