Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 05/01/2016 18z onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe weather, tornadoes,intersting synopsis ,snow
13 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

Pressure is far too high. You'll struggle to get any precipitation at all above 1030mb and really you want sub 1020mb.

Not a very good way of reading convective precip I'm afraid . SST's are near 10c in that location and 500mb heights approaching -30 . I don't even need a Skew-t to tell me there will be adequate ML  CAPE for convective given the lapse rates.

P.S Dublin Ireland had thundersnow in 2009 with pressure about 1025 Hpa, if memory serves correctly. 

Edited by rory o gorman
  • Like 6

Posted

The ecm parallel retrogressed the Atlantic ridge North days 8/10 and pretty well linked up to the Arctic high to form a mega block to our west

steves 552 dam making it into se Greenland by day 10

all conjecture from an op at that range but at least  an ecm op of sorts more in line with the ens

• Like 3

Posted

Just a question for the experts.... I know the weather can technically go 'tits up' at any time but at what time scale can we safely say that 'something' is going to happen?  To my untrained eyes I take it that if the Greenland block appears then some sort of cold weather will come (with more specifics nearer the time).

Was just wondering when we can be sure of this pattern change? 

Cheers :)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
6 minutes ago, rory o gorman said:

Not a very good way of reading convective precip I'm afraid . SST's are near 10c in that location and 500mb heights approaching -30 . I don't even need a Skew-t to tell me there will be adequate ML  CAPE for convective given the lapse rates.

Possible and of course there are micro things to bear in mind but in my decade on here i've only really seen one cold spell deliver reasonable snow on a widespread basis with such high pressure values (Feb 12) so while some locations may get lucky i suppose that it's my mental guideline. I only really look deeper if the dam and pressure vales check out.

Edited by summer blizzard
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

The gatekeeper has finally gotten off his stool, turned the key to the lock and flung those Arctic flood gates wide open

gfsnh-0-204.thumb.png.df4562a27e2f2408f4:cold:

Edited by Minus 10
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Momentum seems to have built from a few days ago, cold looks to be upon us from early next week. Noticeable temperature change down here already, nice to see day time single figures but want daytime low single figures next week please!? If 850s are -10 then that will mean very low daytime temps.  The ground is still warm so a week or so of cold followed by some battle ground action through the channel would be spot on. 

Posted
12 minutes ago, rory o gorman said:

P.S Dublin Ireland had thundersnow in 2009 with pressure about 1025 Hpa, if memory serves correctly. 

I thought it was 1015hpa... I'll have to look it up, but the big difference then was that upper 850's were -9 and -10 weren't they?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
1 hour ago, Tamara said:

Can't think who has been boring people for so long posting pages of 2015 atmospheric circulation history - and suggesting  possible July/Jan -AO/NAO connect:wink:

Neither could I, that's why I asked

BFTP

Edit - Read your edit  @tamara .....I refer to my correlation post...some find if confirmed as per current outlooks

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BEASTERLYS

Can i just ask those in the know... 

Do you think this will be a nationwide cold spell wth snow chances for many even us southeners. 

Or Snow confined to usual areas i.e northern  parts , scotland and areas wth elevation..

Im asking because to the untrained eye those northelys predicted never seem to bring the cold far enough south or the precipitation...

I personally will be hoping for more of a N.Easterly at some point during the coming cold spell..

Posted
31 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

Pressure is far too high. You'll struggle to get any precipitation at all above 1030mb and really you want sub 1020mb.

Jan 1987....best sea effect snows in (my) living memory in the southeast.....right on the 1020 line. (that assuming I'm talking same things (new to charts lol)

Rrea00119870113.gif

Edited by Nemesis
  • Like 3

Posted
9 minutes ago, Rocheydub said:

I thought it was 1015hpa... I'll have to look it up, but the big difference then was that upper 850's were -9 and -10 weren't they?

It was certainly above 1020 hpa at one point with a nasty grapel thundersnow streamer with tops about 30k. 850 mb temperatures play a role but not nearly as much as the 500mb . The LFC for a parcel in a streamer here is probably nearing 800mb so buoyancy above that would be the telling factor. 

Edited by rory o gorman
  • Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, Nemesis said:

Jan 1987....best sea effect snows in (my) living memory in the southeast.....right on the 1020 line. (that assuming I'm talking same things (new to charts lol)

Rrea00119870113.gif

Southern Ireland was also blasted with 6 inches plus of snow , with thundersnow reported as a streamer setup. Again the pressure is plus 1020 hpa but the SST/upper trough created quite steep lapse rates . 

Posted
10 minutes ago, Nemesis said:

Jan 1987....best sea effect snows in (my) living memory in the southeast.....right on the 1020 line.

Rrea00119870113.gif

I lived in Germany then. -20c for over a week, awesome

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather...heavy snow and heat waves
2 hours ago, LeeSnowFan said:

but what sort of time frame do you look at to say "It's locked and loaded and ready to go"?

T24 

• Like 1

Posted

Classic model thread - people worrying about snow chances by area when we haven't even got the cold in yet:rofl:  ensembles in staggering agreement at such long range for a cold spell now but remember how fickle the models can be, let's get the cold in.. Then see who gets lucky.

In all honesty dry weather wouldn't go amiss it in a lot of places! On to the 12z's.

• Like 4

Posted
4 hours ago, craigore said:

Do you think this will be a nationwide cold spell wth snow chances for many even us southeners. 

Or Snow confined to usual areas i.e northern  parts , scotland and areas wth elevation..

Im asking because to the untrained eye those northelys predicted never seem to bring the cold far enough south or the precipitation...

I personally will be hoping for more of a N.Easterly at some point during the coming cold spell..

I think East Kent will do very well, particularly if the cold spell becomes more extended. 

• Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, craigore said:

At this moment in time its obvious Northern Scotland will have the best chances for extensive snow showers or periods of snow as they are closer to the source of the cold. However, it is looking more likely in recent runs the cold will extend to the majority of the UK and stay there (not a toppler). Once you have the cold, then you can look for the snow and in the case of the upcoming cold "spell", troughs and other features could pop up anywhere. 

In December 2010 the cold came from the North yet the biggest falls for Southern england came from activity moving up from the South and stalling, so no point worrying about where and how much snow yet!

• Like 2

Posted

A lot of Kent would do well, we get all sorts of streamers in really cold weather, the thames and the medway acting as tramlines.

In 2010 we did vey well here in West Kent due to  a slight ENE which switched the streamer from the Thames to the Medway. Got 32cm of snow here in Tonbridge.

• Like 1

Posted
37 minutes ago, captaincroc said:

Just a question for the experts.... I know the weather can technically go 'tits up' at any time but at what time scale can we safely say that 'something' is going to happen?  To my untrained eyes I take it that if the Greenland block appears then some sort of cold weather will come (with more specifics nearer the time).

Was just wondering when we can be sure of this pattern change? 

Cheers :)

I'd like to get it within T+92 to be sure, but maybe I'm being over cautious. 

We've seen some situations go TU within T+92 before and I've no doubt there will be plenty of squeaky bum moments to come yet. 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Just caught up with the gfs 6z what another great run even upgrades on the 00z. But I still don't think this is a given yet. Yes it's going to turn colder. But let's not forget these charts are at 9/10 day range away yet. Think a lot depends on what that Azores decides to do. Hopefully we see the ecm and ukmo move towards the gfs later today. But at the moment keeping feet firmly on the ground as we've seen these types of sypnotics go wrong at t72. 

Posted
25 minutes ago, rory o gorman said:

It was certainly above 1020 hpa at one point with a nasty grapel thundersnow streamer with tops about 30k. 850 mb temperatures play a role but not nearly as much as the 500mb . The LFC for a parcel in a streamer here is probably nearing 800mb so buoyancy above that would be the telling factor. 

It was indeed, you are correct. It was 1025 for some of it. Apologies. That was a fantastic night. I was in work in the city centre, and remember the fright I got when the first clap of lightning-thunder came, I was expecting it, but not so close to where I was!!!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
29 minutes ago, Turnedoutniceagain said:

I lived in Germany then. -20c for over a week, awesome

Ditto. -16 inside the Barracks corridor.Breath froze.

When I mentioned in reply to SMs post that we could dream of a link between our Atlantic ridge and the Arctic high, I was thinking further down the line in output not the 06z

gfsnh-0-288.png?6

• Like 1