Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Sign in to follow this  
Captain Shortwave

South East and East Anglia weather discussion/Chat - A new year

The more intense snow is still up over the Borders area and that may offer more hope as it comes down this evening in colder temperatures. The current snow is turning back to sleet at Nottingham and beyond so best hope is from later this evening. Temperatures above Nottingham currently around 1c whereas more like 4c/5c around London.

Edited by Paul33

58 minutes ago, Hammer said:

Earnest here is how I see it. I think Oxford good location.

image.thumb.jpeg.a55cfac00abb4b518c87d02

Yes looks like best place to be for this event , my house. :D

1 hour ago, Hammer said:

Earnest here is how I see it. I think Oxford good location.

image.thumb.jpeg.a55cfac00abb4b518c87d02

Hi mate, 

that trianglar region well many in it will see rain ect parameters are not so good also factor in precipitation is moving southeastwards many will remain dry altogether, the current radar imagery depicts a good trajectory for London & Home Counties.

I'm pleased with my graphic, I will not be making changes. 

Here it is again (putting accumulations aside).

image.thumb.jpeg.f6b4bbaa51f4773064e898f

Edited by Earnest Easterly*

4 minutes ago, Snoopie42 said:

I would be very surprised if High Wycombe didn't get a flake or two. High Wycombe, Stokenchurch area always seem to get some when  I just have rain / sleet, possibly because of higher elevation.  Good luck and hope you get some!

I had rain in slough and went to Stokenchurch about 30 miles away and it was 4 inches of lying snow. Rain started to change to snow as you hit the M40. That was about 1998/1999. Have pictures somewhere

Definitely heading this way but it does seem to be petering out a fair bit as it comes down....?! Any chance it could suddenly pep up or am I wishful thinking?!x

Earnest that's fair enough. As of earlier data I see Oxford as good location you don't.  You could well be right. I will be taking a look about 8pm ish for PPN plot.

I am going to put my neck out and say West Sussex, South downs is going to be a sweet spot tonight, also maybe as far as East sussex! 

The shunt eastwards is on!!!

And despite the southwards track and highlights of decay..its classic pep-and expand prognosis as occurring wider land mass incur.!!!! Think there maybe afew localised surprise accumulate! !!...east Essex/kent maybe just to far east on this occasion! !!

Looking at the radar I think it may just be clouds by the time it gets down here. 

The precipitation seems to be dying - really need it to start reinvigorating. 

2 minutes ago, clark3r said:

I am going to put my neck out and say West Sussex, South downs is going to be a sweet spot tonight, also maybe as far as East sussex! 

Im keeping my eye on radar which sadly as some have already pointed out seems to show ppn fizzling out just north of Northampton as it moves across and down, although pepping up not impossible.

It's fizzling out across the Midlands, can't see much other than very light sleet or snow for your region tonight

Just now, tight isobar said:

The shunt eastwards is on!!!

And despite the southwards track and highlights of decay..its classic pep-and expand prognosis as occurring wider land mass incur.!!!! Think there maybe afew localised surprise accumulate! !!...east Essex/kent maybe just to far east on this occasion! !!

I think so just been looking at prediction by met and radar now.

that top piece I alot further east atm.very marginal but I have noticed a swing east over my region before.

2 minutes ago, Hammer said:

Earnest that's fair enough. As of earlier data I see Oxford as good location you don't.  You could well be right. I will be taking a look about 8pm ish for PPN plot.

Yes I'm not dismissing that but in that part of the world danger lurks in boundary between rain/snow for our most western peeps I have my doubts, big risks big rewards? :) 

Heads up from the north! 

Hello SE/EA people, seeing as I spend part of my time back down south, thought I'd up date you all on the situation here.... It's a lot further East, but a lot of the initial PPN is not falling due to Evaporative Cooling. 

It's brought us in West Yorkshire really into player later on. 

Your main issue, as long as it reaches that far south (It is slightly weakening), might be temperatures... But they might well be fine!

1 minute ago, saint said:

Heads up from the north! 

Hello SE/EA people, seeing as I spend part of my time back down south, thought I'd up date you all on the situation here.... It's a lot further East, but a lot of the initial PPN is not falling due to Evaporative Cooling. 

It's brought us in West Yorkshire really into player later on. 

Your main issue, as long as it reaches that far south (It is slightly weakening), might be temperatures... But they might well be fine!

Temp dropping like a stone here -2 already,so don't think temp a problem just depends if there is any think left on it

13 minutes ago, Kieran said:

It's fizzling out across the Midlands, can't see much other than very light sleet or snow for your region tonight

All of this is all going SE I think that is premature to say.

image.thumb.jpeg.a72b098328675731a0d9761

Dew point -2.5 and temp 0.2 so we're going to get a decent frost even if no snow

All is just fine... Temp going down PPN slowly pushing south lovely jubbly

Current conditions in Havant:

weather 1710.jpg

Edited by Reefy