Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia weather discussion/Chat - A new year

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Clear start here, not sure whether there is a frost or not yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Frosty Mornings

1c at 5am in Huntingdon, bit of ice on the car. Lovely morning and so much better than bloody rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun

Morning everyone, 

Very cold and frosty start here. 

Looks like a cold and dry next few days for our patch with good amounts of sunshine. No snow (Except coastal Norfolk) But I'll take that anyday over the wet and mild dross! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

Clear and very cold out.

I didn't get any snow, just as I normally don't get any thunder.

I probably won't see a flake this time either.

Be thankful.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow events / Wind storms

Not looked outside here yet but it's currently 1.2c 

Overnight minimum of 0.7c just before 5am, DP plummeted last night down below -3c 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm Summers, Snowy Winters

Snowing heavily in Lowestoft again. That band running along the Far East coast is just clipping us!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun
43 minutes ago, fulham snow said:

-1 on Epsom Downs.

Maybe 1 or 2 flakes tonight would be great to see even a single flake.

Where have those 6" snow event all gone over the past few years.

If only... I certainly dont see that happening with this Cold snap. Still... we have February coming up. Fingers crossed. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.
24 minutes ago, Ian Suffolk said:

Snowing heavily in Lowestoft again. That band running along the Far East coast is just clipping us!

Lowestoft certainly the place to be in this current cold spell, meto have forecast that area well the last 24hrs imo. Also Sunday could be of interest to you there nice dollop of precipitation clips East Anglia.

...It's annoying that we can't switch in to a proper NE'ly, Majority of the white stuff get's wasted in the North Sea to most of our East as per usual!

Edited by Kent Blizzard

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm Summers, Snowy Winters
49 minutes ago, Kent Blizzard said:

Lowestoft certainly the place to be in this current cold spell, meto have forecast that area well the last 24hrs imo. Also Sunday could be of interest to you there nice dollop of precipitation clips East Anglia.

...It's annoying that we can't switch in to a proper NE'ly, Majority of the white stuff get's wasted in the North Sea to most of our East as per usual!

It is often a frustrating game living on the east coast. Lowestoft funnily enough often loses out when there is an easterly as the sea raises the temperature a degree or two when compared to inland and it just rains! We have been quite lucky so far during this spell though, personally I always prefer a northerly :-). As you say, there is so much being wasted in the North Sea though, if that would edge just a little further west it would be game on for a lot more people. Annoyingly, these frustrating setups seem commonplace when there is a cold spell!!

im sure Kent will get something over the next few days! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Nice bright sunny day,  temp went down to 0.6 over night. Temp now 2.1. Less windy then yesterday.

Posted

3.1c here now, still very crisp outside with a frost still in the shade, not expecting anything higher than 4c or so today, so for this area it'd be the coldest day so far of the year, GFS shows a max of 3.8 - 4.3c, going on my 0.7c minima this morning, If today were to reach 4.1c we'd have a daily mean of 2.4, beating yesterdays 2.9c and 1st Jan's 3.9c, showing it has got a lot colder! :)

Lovely clear sky, can't see the maxima getting too great today!

Cam1..jpg

Edited by Essex Easterly.

Posted
7 minutes ago, Surrey said:

Certainly looks snowy for Monday :D

Fancy elaborating? Snowy iyby? U.K.? How does it develop? From the east? Low from the west? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy Snow
10 hours ago, Neilsouth said:

I have't seen a covering of snow for over two years! And I should get excited about a cold dry spell? Uh no

Yet again east Kent misses out altogether. Saw not a single flake last year I can't believe we're going to miss out. So frustrating it's the same old sweet spots. Norfolk and Norwich, central spine, western areas and the Midlands always seem to do well. Norfolk and east Anglia most probably because its backside juts out into the North Sea ...  sour grape anyone lol 

Edited by snowfish1
  • Like 1

Posted

Nothing is certain yet from the way the models are handling things, but it does look promising for Monday! We still don't have a proper grip (or the models don't) on ex tropical storm (now a hurricane?) Alex. This could disrupt things? 

Posted
2 minutes ago, Essex Easterly said:

Nothing is certain yet from the way the models are handling things, but it does look promising for Monday! We still don't have a proper grip (or the models don't) on ex tropical storm (now a hurricane?) Alex. This could disrupt things? 

It could also make things very interestingly good further down the line for the U.K.  It could be just what's needed to raise heights over Greenland and pull proper cold air down from that trough over Scandinavia

Edited by Kent Blizzard
  • Like 1

Posted

I can't see Thursday of next week bringing the 6*c as forecast currently IIf we are in a cold continental flow from the SE imo. However still long way off and plenty of cold days to enjoy before then and of course chances of surprises.

156-778.GIF?15-0

Edited by Kent Blizzard

Posted

Not quite sure if the feature is a hurricane quite yet, something I heard from other threads and sources, I've heard it has hurricane speed sustained winds, but not sure of the classification of the storm! I know it was ex-tropical or non tropical, it's still a very interesting feature to establish and direct close to our shores at a critical time for snow lovers! 

EDIT: Whatever it was (could someone clarify? I'd like to learn a little on this subject) Alex is now a hurricane.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/gtwo.php?basin=atlc&fdays=2

Edited by Essex Easterly.

Posted

Surrey do you have the earlier frames for that Chart please, I want to check something against the Euro4