Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia weather discussion/Chat - A new year

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine

@ReindeerMarmalade you are very kind thank you. Yes it's very deep seated I've had years of treatment but nothing has worked unfortunately I take meds to get through this part of the year. I do try to keep things in perspective like u say when people take stupid risks in bad weather- any weather extreme ty can be lethal if u take silly risks I guess even hot temps which is my favourite kind of weather but yet I know someone who is scared of hot summers. Being on here is a good and bad thing for me. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun

Pouring with rain, mild, grey and miserable. 

I still wonder in complete confusion, how anybody can be a mild lover in winter. Each to their own - I get that!

But mild in winter, in this country means a day like today = Me completely baffled! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

Very depressing; raining and turned mild again here, yuk!

Pity Steve M's prediction from New years eve didn't come to fruition, the cold air keeps trying to lap at our shores, close but no Beast from the East Cigar. Of course a decent Easterly is a pretty rare beast for these Isles anyway....Maybe we will get something from the North, followed by a ridge setting up shop in a favourable location if we are lucky after mid month as per G.P's posts over on the main discussion thread.

Edited by snowray

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.
8 minutes ago, Ben Lewis said:

Pouring with rain, mild, grey and miserable. 

I still wonder in complete confusion, how anybody can be a mild lover in winter. Each to their own - I get that!

But mild in winter, in this country means a day like today = Me completely baffled! 

Hi Ben

Some people have things like health reasons to not be fond of extreme cold or heat along with financial considerations etc as well a fears and frustrations of certain weather.

On a day like today I planned my walk earlier so I missed the rain and managed to fit in some shopping, will crack on with some indoor activity whilst it is damp out.

But some will always hold a firm favorite and nothing will change that.  But I cannot understand why anyone would left the weather we get given get them down because there is nothing that will change it, but if you plan with it in mind you can still keep active inside/out.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

@amanda2012 I can understand why this place can be good and bad for you, especially if you're getting routinely anxious about charts that end up downgrading. I'm guessing you've already worked through precisely what about a storm worries you? Trees falling? Driving in a storm? Something else? If you haven't already done that then maybe pinpointing and mitigating specific risks will help. Or (impractical as this probably is) identifying a safe room in the house you can feel secure in...just knowing it's there may be enough without you actually using it.

I'm so sorry you have such a fear, especially living in this country. You're absolutely right that any and all extremes can be dangerous, and even mediocre weather can cause problems, but logic doesn't always help.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Amanda, if you are able to stay indoors during these storms then you are perfectly safe.:good: It would have to be something out of the norm for you not to be, 1987 was a rare event by the way.

A certain ahem.....'weather forecaster' is getting a well deserved pasting on the web for his arrogance. You complain to him that he has been wrong three years in a row, he bans you. You ask him what happened to the predict snow events, he says we had them as he predicted, WHAT A PLANK. Snow in the highlands is not a nationwide snow event.:doh: He still has the cheek to charge for his 'forecasts', GET THIS CHARLATAN OFF THE WEB:angry:

Rant over:oops:

So when is the 'beast from the east' going to pay us a visit?:rofl:

• Like 2

Posted

if there any one on here  in the ketting ,corby area look out some very heavy rain heading that way if the radar right

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

@tinybill yeah that already hit here and is headed to them now, some very heavy rain involved.

Posted

Quite bizarre to get convection like this nearing mid-winter? Very bright echoes.

image.thumb.png.1418aaebaf89a82da42b0076

I changed my name in a moment of madness! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

Nothing much on the Radar for this area but I saw lightning earlier to the South East from here, very Strange.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers
3 hours ago, Earnest Easterly* said:

Quite bizarre to get convection like this nearing mid-winter? Very bright echoes.

image.thumb.png.1418aaebaf89a82da42b0076

I changed my name in a moment of madness! 

You can't fool us Earnest. :nonono: We can see through your disguise and know who you really are! :) 

sphynx-cat.thumb.jpg.987e40d4ecf9f14888ethumbs-up.thumb.jpg.6835762a2c38236bea4a

Edited by Blessed Weather
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow events / Wind storms
4 minutes ago, Blessed Weather said:

You can't fool us Earnest. :nonono: We can see through your disguise and know who you really are! :) 

sphynx-cat.thumb.jpg.987e40d4ecf9f14888ethumbs-up.thumb.jpg.6835762a2c38236bea4a

Yes! Turns out he is my long lost brother! :)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Spells or thunderstorms.

Meh , been raining on and off all day. Just a boring day, I suppose.

Posted
49 minutes ago, Blessed Weather said:

Hi Malcolm, 

Are you not a fan of the name change?  

I was toying with Ealing Easterly :rofl:...not quite sure if this will be permanent. 

I joint the dark side alongside my fellow @Essex Easterly :)

*meowing intensifies* 

image.thumb.jpeg.cd70af5cf42354dd64e4b06image.jpeg.9e1dae05f2a83355f1da02d3f6373

Edited by Earnest Easterly*
added image
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers
5 minutes ago, Earnest Easterly* said:

Hi Malcolm, 

Are you not a fan of the name change?  

I was toying with Ealing Easterly :rofl:...not quite sure if this will be permanent. 

I joint the dark side alongside my fellow @Essex Easterly :)

*meowing intensifies* 

image.thumb.jpeg.cd70af5cf42354dd64e4b06

Hi Daniel. No problem at all my friend! Just as long as I know it's you behind whatever name/avatar you fancy!! :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
32 minutes ago, Essex Easterly said:

Yes! Turns out he is my long lost brother! :)

Little Earn?:D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: greenhithe, kent (nr bluewater) 51.45216 n 0.25966 e
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter hot in summer
  • Location: greenhithe, kent (nr bluewater) 51.45216 n 0.25966 e

hi amanda

just looking at the charts there is nothing for you to worry about all the bad stuff stays well away from us,

do the other bods on here agree with me on this

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.
2 hours ago, greenhithe said:

hi amanda

just looking at the charts there is nothing for you to worry about all the bad stuff stays well away from us,

do the other bods on here agree with me on this

Still a lot of uncertainty but I will post this based on the fact it is a day 5 chart.

The ECM does show gales across us for the 7th.

ECM1-120.GIF?02-0

Major disagreements on how this low will react to the deep low 500mb heights and the weak heights to our north. No need to worry just yet but this low has the potential to bring a lot of rain and some strong winds.

Edited by Captain Shortwave

Posted
7 hours ago, amanda2012 said:

@ReindeerMarmalade you are very kind thank you. Yes it's very deep seated I've had years of treatment but nothing has worked unfortunately I take meds to get through this part of the year. I do try to keep things in perspective like u say when people take stupid risks in bad weather- any weather extreme ty can be lethal if u take silly risks I guess even hot temps which is my favourite kind of weather but yet I know someone who is scared of hot summers. Being on here is a good and bad thing for me. 

I'm also very anxious about very windy weather.I carry meds with me if stormy weather is forecast,but I'm slowly improving. I avoid the Atlantic storm thread unless I see a weather warning from the met and then I arm myself with as much info as possible. The last time I struggled was Valentines day 2014 but I just about coped with the rest of that winter. I feel for you, but I also understand lots of people love extreme weather in all it's forms

• Like 1

Posted

looking  at  the radar  its going  to be a very wet  day!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
10 hours ago, Frosty hollows said:

I'm also very anxious about very windy weather.I carry meds with me if stormy weather is forecast,but I'm slowly improving. I avoid the Atlantic storm thread unless I see a weather warning from the met and then I arm myself with as much info as possible. The last time I struggled was Valentines day 2014 but I just about coped with the rest of that winter. I feel for you, but I also understand lots of people love extreme weather in all it's forms

9 hours ago, amanda2012 said:

@Frost Hollow it's horrible isn't it I also remember that valentines night it was awful 

If you both got through the winter of 2013/2014 okay, then you'll be fine with this one, it's almost over already too.:reindeer-emoji:  How are you both with thunderstorms?:cold-emoji:

It started clouding over and the breeze has picked up, expecting the first flakes of snow soon.:cold: That easterly breeze sure is:cold::cold::cold: I threw  some chicken in the garden.....as you do and ravens turned up, filled their beaks and flew off, don't tell me they have babies in the depths of winter.:shok::help::bomb::reindeer-emoji:

Edited by lassie23

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

The sky was clear at around 7am, not any more with a mass of heavy rain approaching.