Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia weather discussion/Chat - A new year

Captain Shortwave

Posted

I live at the top of Woodingdean and we got about 2cm nearly gone now though, (and I was in Worthing for the night where it just rained!) shame temp aren't lower otherwise we might have had another shot this afternoon/evening ......

Posted

Haven't trawled the thread yet but was delighted to receive 3-4cms in the early hours here. In the park at 8am with the nippers, great fun. Forgotten what that crunch and feel felt like. All gone now, of course. As if it never happened. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.
21 minutes ago, pureasthedriven said:

was delighted to receive 3-4cms in the early hours here. great fun. Forgotten what that crunch and feel felt like. All gone now, of course. As if it never happened. 

Are we talking snow? :D;) 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Cold/Snowy Winter! Just SEASONAL!!

Soooooo.....when's our next shot??!!x

Posted
1 minute ago, weathergeek said:

Soooooo.....when's our next shot??!!x

unfortunately (if it can be believed!) looking at the met office outlook thread, not for a long time although remaining cold to average in the southeast.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

Well done all those who posted pics, real nice to see a good covering of snow in many places. All white apart from main road and pavements when I looked out 1st thing this morning but melted pretty quickly, about 1cm on cars. Not seen any falling snow though was in bed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Cold/Snowy Winter! Just SEASONAL!!

Thanks Thanet.....does staying cold just in SE suggest an easterly airflow?!

Gorgeous pics Angelici!!! Yes Boxhill was packed and everyone seemed really happy, there was a buzz about the place!!xx

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, weathergeek said:
10 minutes ago, weathergeek said:

Thanks Thanet.....does staying cold just in SE suggest an easterly airflow?!

Gorgeous pics Angelici!!! Yes Boxhill was packed and everyone seemed really happy, there was a buzz about the place!!xx

.hi weathergeek

I am no expert at this but can only assume that it could be a high pressure over the continent or the remnants of a block holding back the advancing lows from the west (that is my non expert view) but obviously someone else can be more precise on the cause 

edit....can I just add that the original info for the weather ahead came from the meto outlook and judging by the performance of any model lately can a forecast that far ahead be trusted even though it is the met office

Edited by PLANET THANET
  • Like 2

Posted

I miss the excitement we had from the suspense of snow yesterday.

I am extremely happy (& maybe a little bit jealous) of those of you who got some snow last night! I can't wait till Kent sees some snow but I'm not convinced it'll be any time soon.

Kids want it to snow tonight so that they can't go to school tomorrow! :) 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warmth, sun, blue sky, and the odd bit of snow on a weekend would do nicely

Well, the forum has now gone quite. Nothing here in Attleborough  from this cold spell apart from some wet snow/rain mix on Thursday evening.. Model room all quite too, from Thursday onwards possibly 2-3 weeks of mild weather ahead. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny in the summer, cold and snowy in the winter

Gritter has gone past again here. Do they know something we don't? 

Mind you, they went past yesterday, too 

Posted

A few cm here last night. Mostly gone by early afternoon though. 

IMG_1343.JPG

IMG_1348.JPG

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme
2 minutes ago, March said:

A few cm here last night. Mostly gone by early afternoon though. 

IMG_1343.JPG

IMG_1348.JPG

Hi March, please could you put your location onto your profile? It will then sit underneath your avatar and we will all know know where your pictures have been taken. Welcome to the forum, you will enjoy it here! ☺

• Like 1

Posted

Just now, Snoopie42 said:

Hi March, please could you put your location onto your profile? It will then sit underneath your avatar and we will all know know where your pictures have been taken. Welcome to the forum, you will enjoy it here! ☺

Yeah I did originally but stupidly wrote it in the wrong section! Fixed now I think. Cheers! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Temp 3.2 dp finally looking decent at -1. Wind is blowing up from the SSE according to my station but most importantly it is forecasting shower for later. I wonder if it's right or wrong.

Afternoon All-

well a long night for some - but just rewards as well....

todays journey ( To preston to drop some seats off ) started with nothing here at greenhithe - just the odd patch on the grass by the road leading up to the dartford toll -

once we got past lakeside the scenery did then change to a dusting of snow  - just a sprinkling on the grasses & dirt fields -

The next level of cover was past the M11 turn off - where again a sprinkling become a little more substantial - maybe 0.5cm -

this then increased to around 1cm or so at around potters bar- 

Joining the M1 it was fairly wintry & the depth increased as we went higher at luton etc- I suppose pushing 2-3 cm, I bet dunstable downs had 3-4 !!

that was max then, there was varying levels all the way to preston & even in preston where there was probably 1.5cm....

from what I saw today though the snow was very wet -everywhere was melting fast.

the journey home was preplanned by me to go back across the peaks then back down the M1

As we turnes off to Knutsford just off the M1 JNCT 19 there wasnt a trace of snow, the height on the app was 51M- 

it was sopping wet everywhere  - which was suprising as normally its colder in these areas.

anyway Buxton is 22Miles from there with a slow ascent followed by a fast climb at the end-

The towns along the way - even at 200M which is good height there was just patches- It was only when we got on the A53 where the patches became cover - 

the snowline ( where the grasses / ground was more white than green ) was 3/350 M (1100 FT) which is quite high elevation in northerly....

thereafter if you have ever driven that road it climbs to about 600M- so getting on for 2000FT...

at the top the cat & the fiddle ( shut ) car park was full with lots of sledging-  

it was 0c & snow depth about 5-6cm in intreated areas & the wind was up, But what a great view !

As said sadly it was shut so we left.....'

just on the way home at leicester in the middle if a snow flurry !!!'

best

S

• Like 8

Posted
26 minutes ago, TheMoonman said:

Gritter has gone past again here. Do they know something we don't? 

Mind you, they went past yesterday, too 

Well the GFS show some wintry precip around our region in early hours of Monday that explains that.

image.thumb.png.903a0724ef42335690d61fc7image.thumb.png.4f730a1f9ab8654570b15a00

Posted
18 minutes ago, Isabellesnanny said:

Can anybody tell me if we are expecting anything tonight/ tomorrow - actually hoping not as travelling.

Thanks 

I am in Croydon area.

Nothing that will stop you traveling and probably not very much if anything tonight

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme
1 hour ago, PLANET THANET said:

.hi weathergeek

I am no expert at this but can only assume that it could be a high pressure over the continent or the remnants of a block holding back the advancing lows from the west (that is my non expert view) but obviously someone else can be more precise on the cause 

edit....can I just add that the original info for the weather ahead came from the meto outlook and judging by the performance of any model lately can a forecast that far ahead be trusted even though it is the met office

I would agree. If you look at the attached image for Wednesday you can see the SE still under high pressure, increasingly under attack from the Atlantic...It's not until Thursday / Friday that the high pressure gives way........obviously this could change given the uncertain model output of late, however, they do seem to be slowly getting their act together ? 

h850t850eu.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

Well here's hoping the next time it actually gives us a good dollop,yes there was a slight patch of snow here and there,and i do mean slight,but on the whole its yet another crappy winter,i like the cold and snow,yet its almost bloody impossible to get anything remotely decent,despite being closest to the continent,i drive myself mad,i get all excited,even when i know its not happening,and when it doesnt,i feel let down badly.Ive got the sledges ready,welly boots on call,and carrots and coal,just 1 ingrediant left,then its party time.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

an someone link me to that site that does hourly pressure readings, not the xc weather one, the other one can' find it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All extreme weather especially ice and snow.

Sadly its a 4.0 temp

Feel like 1

Dew point 1