Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia weather discussion/Chat - A new year

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Cold Cold
4 minutes ago, Greenland1080 said:

Want these clear skies to hang around as much as possible now Suns going down....will get temps right down before any fun an games:cold::cold::cold:

It's still lovely and clear here, not one cloud just a beautiful bright moon! 

Posted
3 minutes ago, Ben Lewis said:

SK, am I right in thinking even west Essex come into play there? 

If the output from that model ends up being on the money then yes this may just about edge into the Western-most fringes of Essex (probably a better chance the further South and West you head in Essex). I've just done a quick overlay (locally) of the latest radar imagery vs the AROME projection and the current precipitation is a little further N and W of where it was predicted to be at this time on the AROME so better signs from this perspective.

SK

Posted

If it is to believed the radar shows the snow falling in areas around 2C up north,  the band of ppt is quite fast moving  It covered the distance across the whole of Birmingham to Coventry in around an hour. So I expect it to be around Milton Keynes  by around 6, Luton around 7.

North London around 8 , Rochester Medway around 9 , Canterbury around 10 ish...  all guestimates of course, should be plenty cold enough to snow by then , if and it's a big if any ppt survives.

It really is the wrong direction for snow for this region , to a large extent , but probably best to take what one can get.

Edited by crazysnowcatz4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun
20 minutes ago, snowking said:

Indeed new high-resolution modelling coming in now. The ultra hi-res AROME model (another Meteo France product I believe) edging things further Eastwards on the 12z to cover much of the London area:

Edited by Ben Lewis
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun

Upgrade for London and Northern Home Counties. Even West Essex in on action.... 

image.png

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Ben Lewis said:

image.png

Good screen grab.

That certainly aligns to current radar imagery being just that touch further East than even the AROME model is suggesting right now, although this situation is so dynamic whilst in the graphics it looks good it's still a little bit of a nervous wait later on tonight.

I'd recommend getting a good (snow themed, naturally) movie ready to try and fill some of the time in between. I vote cool runnings.

SK

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Looks like I'm too far west to be in the sweet spot. I'll still be lamppost-watching between my fingers, though :D 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Cold Cold

I'm guessing we are quite close, I was thinking the same thing but you never know!! 

Posted

SK, I agree, the front is a LOT further east than models are projecting especially when you review the radar overlay on loop.

The only thing we need to watch is precipitation intensity which is already declining on the southern extent.  

Edited by SxK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

What a lovely sky, some whispy white clouds about with verga and even a bit of a rainbow in one of them.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW
Just now, Ben Lewis said:

Upgrade for London and Northern Home Counties. Even West Essex in on action.... 

image.png

I feel it's really on a knife edge for us on the south coast.  Exciting times for radar watchers. Enjoy everybody!:cold:

• Like 1

Posted

Bucks your in a good location tonight to be honest based on current data for at least some snow.

Posted
3 minutes ago, BucksSnow said:

can someone tell me their honest opinion for high Wycombe snow tonight

High Wycombe should do ok,no one is expecting mountains of snow but as you are quite elevated i would say about 3cm sound about right.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold
On 3 January 2016 at 7:04 PM, terryall said:

Model Output thread has gone ballistic over latest charts. Expect a huge rise in members logging on for the great will it won't it debate over the next week. Looking good though.

Why is when I want to post I always end up quoting this random message above ? Help

Posted

Looking at the NW Radar, the band is definitely more east than was projected BUT it is clearly weakening as it comes down AND its also looking like sleet and even rain for anywhere home counties and below.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Copious amounts of snow and ice days

Does any of the output suggest anything other than average temps and conditions for the East? I would rate this "cold spell" 1/10. I managed -0.2c last night, wouldn't call that a severe frost. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme
10 minutes ago, BucksSnow said:

can someone tell me their honest opinion for high Wycombe snow tonight

I would be very surprised if High Wycombe didn't get a flake or two. High Wycombe, Stokenchurch area always seem to get some when  I just have rain / sleet, possibly because of higher elevation.  Good luck and hope you get some!