Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia weather discussion/Chat - A new year

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes, snow, thunder, hot heat, ice cold, etc

definately sleet here, had a bit of wet snow but quickly turned back to sleet, seems too marginal, heavier stuff incoming so fingers crossed x

Posted
8 minutes ago, Alpine glow said:

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

so is all this PPN snow?  It looks like we (and probably not me) may get a chance as temps and dp's drop.

Hi, well the bulk of it is in North Sea. The precip consists of sleet/snow rain for coasts. Looking at radar I do not think the easterly element is as pronounced, as what E4/NMM ect shows.

More likely to catch the precip to the N & E. 

Edited by Earnest Easterly*
Corrected spelling
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW
2 minutes ago, Blessed Weather said:

Use the Netweather Radar and turn the "Weather Type" at the top of the map to "On". Shows rain blue, sleet green and snow pink. :)

Fab, thanks.  It's more hopeful than I imagined it would be - but still i am not hopeful!

Posted
6 minutes ago, Surrey said:

Western edges of the Region watch out tonight and tomorrow to, the odd surprise! 

PPN going to far east for us and but big snow clouds a long way away in Ireland would they make it to us, ,i think not,will die out maybe a flurry

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun
5 minutes ago, Surrey said:

Western edges of the Region watch out tonight and tomorrow to, the odd surprise! 

Yes I saw this on the Lunchtime BBC weather with John Hammond.

I think it really will be the very very western edge of our region (if at all) 

Places like Bristol/ Cardif down to Bath could get a small covering tonight... Lucky buggers.

Posted
1 minute ago, fulham snow said:

PPN going to far east for us and but big snow clouds a long way away in Ireland would they make it to us, ,i think not,will die out maybe a flurry

Yay fellow Fulham fan, COYW :-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.

Does anyone have the Met Office App? if so would you be kind enough to tell me the latest update please, it goes to that before reaches the website. I'm hearing good whispers?

P.S Can't be seen with phone out at the moment lol

Edited by Kent Blizzard

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny in the summer, cold and snowy in the winter

No alerts, it says sleet at 4pm for my location.  Not great.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Very very windy here now. Lunchtime Look East forecast suggests gusts of 70 mph possible around the EA coast. Yellow warning in place.
The latest graphics much as expected and the uncertainty of "where rain and where snow" was emphasised, although they did ask that 'Weather Watchers' send in any pics of snow, so clearly they don't rule it out! :)

20160114_134248_resized.thumb.jpg.6fd425

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.
3 minutes ago, TheMoonman said:

No alerts, it says sleet at 4pm for my location.  Not great.

On the Meto App? what about the written forecasts?

Posted

As I alluded to earlier I think Norfolk quite well placed for a bit of snow, window between 4ish and say 9pm. Looking at the METO predicted PPN on the app.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

I think i've had my lot today. oh well.

Posted

Looking at the radar and the current movements of the ppn it looks at this stage that it is slipping down the East coast and not making it very far inland. It appears the bulk of it will hit north Norfolk and will probably miss me in Cambs. Win some, lose a lot !!

Posted
44 minutes ago, Blessed Weather said:

Very very windy here now. Lunchtime Look East forecast suggests gusts of 70 mph possible around the EA coast. Yellow warning in place.
The latest graphics much as expected and the uncertainty of "where rain and where snow" was emphasised, although they did ask that 'Weather Watchers' send in any pics of snow, so clearly they don't rule it out! :)

20160114_134248_resized.thumb.jpg.6fd425

Hi Malcolm,

I'm not quite sure who makes the graphics a blind man?

:cc_confused: as it does not correlate with the radar one bit.

image.thumb.png.3c454b8f06940285aae5eab6

Edited by Earnest Easterly*
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers
1 minute ago, Earnest Easterly* said:

Hi Malcolm,

I'm not quite sure who makes the graphics a blind man?

:cc_confused: as it does not correlate with the radar one bit.

image.thumb.png.3c454b8f06940285aae5eab6

Lol. I quiet often think that of the Look East graphics! But we're possibly being premature with our judgement at the mo, as their pic was for 15.00. So I'll wait for the 15.00 radar and then post a comparison and we'll see how accurate their forecast was!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Just bits and pieces of rain on and off today. Not much else to add apart from the strong winds. There is light precipitation on the radar showing up as snow, well I am only seeing spots of rain here at the moment.

Hopefully some heavier bursts later will yield some snowfall as my location on the face of it looks well placed.

Edited by Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Had some stuff fall out of the sky today, not sure what it was, more slurp than sleet. Cold and windy now 4.8c. Got lots of birds in my garden eating mash potato, looks like more slurp is possible tonight.:reindeer-emoji::drunk-emoji:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun

As I thought, PPN barely making it west of Eastern coastal counties this afternoon.

Norfolk and East /SuffolkEssex look favoured spots to see some of the white stuff this evening.

The rest of us can expect the cloud clearing leading to a widespread frost, tomorrow looks dry, Saturday could see some wintry showers across Norfolk and Sunday looks very dry and sunny. No sleet/snow for 80% of us but at least its dry. So a very useable weekend coming up… At Last.

Edited by Ben Lewis
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny in the summer, cold and snowy in the winter
1 hour ago, Kent Blizzard said:

On the Meto App? what about the written forecasts?

Upgraded to light snow between 5 and 8 now

2 minutes ago, Ben Lewis said:

As I thought, PPN barely making it west of Eastern coastal counties this afternoon.

Norfolk and East /SuffolkEssex look favoured spots to see some of the white stuff this evening.

The rest of us can expect the cloud clearing leading to a widespread frost, tomorrow looks dry, Saturday could see some wintry showers across Norfolk and Sunday looks very dry and sunny. No sleet/snow for 80% of us but at least its dry. So a very useable weekend coming up… At Last.

HMMM...

hirlamuk-1-37-0.png?14-10

Posted
2 minutes ago, Surrey said:

BBC graphics when shown are usually 6 hours out of date sometimes more... Don't really pay much attention to them, best to come on here and see what the more experienced say 

Aye, sometimes I feel the public would be better informed in this thread, looks like Salter road has been gritted here. Temp 4*C importantly the dew point is 0*C.

I wonder what Croydon council have been informed by MO regarding tonight into tomorrow. :p

@yamkin