Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussions pm 31/12/15

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Wouldn't blame the BBC presenters getting a little excited when looking at the UKMO 144h

Just a shame we can't see the 850hpa data.

http://images.meteociel.fr/im/2702/UW144-21_idq8.GIF

Q...Does anyone know why the UKMO stopped giving out the 850hpa data at 144h or even 72h,96h and 120h for that matter :cc_confused:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

ee33957ef948cdf4ec2d16a33964f359.png

Lovely ensembles 

Edited by SN0WM4N
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms

Hi all.

just to add a little something that I have read throughout the day and that is few of the met people over in the USA aren't liking the GFS at the moment and are using the ecm, U.K. Met and some Canadian model I don't know if Nick has read something similar or can shead any light on this

fromey 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
6 minutes ago, Dancerwithwings said:

Wouldn't blame the BBC presenters getting a little excited when looking at the UKMO 144h

Q...Does anyone know why the UKMO stopped giving out the 850hpa data at 144h or even 72h,96h and 120h for that matter :cc_confused:

The data we have just seen from our portal service goes for a substantial snow event early /middle part of next week in the Alps with widespread lower uppers with some depth, which I assume would be Arctic sourced airmass. Looks encouraging news this evening for many snow starved citizens of the British Isles.

Edited by carinthian
  • Like 3

Posted
3 minutes ago, Dancerwithwings said:

Roughly that looks like 850's of -8  around the Midlands and - 10 towards northern Scotland. Snow likely on the northern flank of that low at T144hrs.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Looking at the GEFS and the op is clearly non-representative of it's run; probably the worst run (for cold) out of the group, apart from if you live in the US and its a killer cold run throughout:

At D8: Meteociel_-_Panel_GEFS.thumb.png.0e163f8  w1 & w2 wk1.wk2_20160104.z500.thumb.gif.0b040048  w3 & w4:  wk3.wk4_20160104.z500.thumb.gif.11b74303

Though the control is rather uninspiring as well. The CFS weekly's have performed a volte-face^^^

Still little agreement how that Arctic block will mix with any Rossby Waves in the NH? But whilst it meanders around in the general Arctic region it should provide opportunities for further links with Greenland and the recurring Atlantic Ridge. The CFS hinting at that. 

The cold air getting to the south during D7 on the GEFS and trending to remain below the seasonal average for the rest of the run. 

MT8_London_ens.thumb.png.d1a1c6b45d92ab7   568c0139e1ef9_graphe6_1000_306_141___Lon  Clusters at D8: weather_model_gfs_ensemble_-_europe_-_su

2m Temps look cool in London; with the chances of snow, although still low, showing some life, something we haven't seen much this winter. Hopefully its a case of the ensembles dragging the op down to the correct solution. Clusters show four different varieties, all viable, so there remains entropy at that range from the GEFS (and I assume ECM). Tomorrow 12z's may be a bit more helpful in how this will unfold.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
1 minute ago, nick sussex said:

Roughly that looks like 850's of -8  around the Midlands and - 10 towards northern Scotland. Snow likely on the northern flank of that low at T144hrs.

However not one ensemble member of the GEFS gets anywhere near that at day 6. GEFS bring the cold in later. There's going to have to be a monumental flip in that tight ensemble grouping to get anywhere near that. Will be interesting if the ECM picks the same solution.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Looking at the UKMO 144hr chart from a UK viewpoint

U144-21UK.thumb.gif.f06bec455a7852ddb805

-6c uppers for Southern England based on that, Agree with Nick Sussex a pain not having access to uppers for UKMO so a case that chart comes in handy!

Edited by Mark N
  • Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

I'm using this guide for the 850's. It comes in handy with the UKMO which for some reason thinks its 850's are top secret and a matter of national security! lol

850.png

Oh, I wasn't questioning the validity of your claims of the uppers Nick- Just pointing out how unlikely that day 6 chart is if we're using it in context of the GEFS. I'd say it's about 7C lower at 850s level than any GEFS pert for that time.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, CreweCold said:

Oh, I wasn't questioning the validity of your claims of the uppers Nick- Just pointing out how unlikely that day 6 chart is if we're using it in context of the GEFS. I'd say it's about 7C lower at 850s level than any GEFS pert for that time.

Yes I know I didn't take that inference! lol Agreed though its strange that none of the GEFS come anywhere close to that. Perhaps that guides dodgy! Doing it by hand is a pain, so I just use that guide!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)
8 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

I'm using this guide for the 850's. It comes in handy with the UKMO which for some reason thinks its 850's are top secret and a matter of national security! lol

850.png

Roughly for the Midlands 1000 by 522 = -8.5  850 value.

Thanks, best desk top background ever...Well it is now :)

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I think that our collective reasoning, on model-predicted snow-chances, has evolved? 

Back in 2003, it seemed that the 528 dam line was the Holy Grail; but no more: IMO (taking variables like distance from the coast, RH values, even wind speed, into consideration) an 850 temp of -8 to -10C is the thing to look for? In Jan, 2010, Inverness had sleet with 850s of -9C??

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Finding the 'tableaux' setting in the ensembles useful just now when looking for a quick glance across the ENS suite vs. clicking through Perturbations.

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gefs.php?table=1

Then click Carte Europe or Carte Monde to extend the map and click where you want a chart for.

The example chart attached is for 850hPa temps across somewhere round about my location, but easy to do the same for your own location or wherever in the world you want to look at. Again, handy for overall trends, and makes exceptional charts easier to find quickly.

table_zml9.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

@96hrs..ecm..

The Canadian lobe is imploding! 

And weakening in volatility. ..

Where's this going. ..

Anyone's guess! 

ECH1-96-1.gif

• Like 1

Posted

A lot more realistic 144 uppers chart from the ECM in my opinion....

ECH0-144.GIF?05-0

Synoptic chart not as good as UKMO (obv). Let's see where it goes from here

ECH1-144.GIF?05-0

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

Tbf..its looking like an A☆

For mr Steve murr....

With interest @the Canadian lobe granted. ..but attention turned to the east format. ..going forward. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy
Just now, booferking said:

So there we have it ECM & GFS going the slower route..:wallbash:

Tortoise and the hare, my friend. 

Posted
5 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

A lot more realistic 144 uppers chart from the ECM in my opinion....

ECH0-144.GIF?05-0

Synoptic chart not as good as UKMO (obv). Let's see where it goes from here

ECH1-144.GIF?05-0

Dont be fooled we could get copious amount of snow from a chart like that!!thicknesses i assume would be really low and with a slack flow it will help!!

• Like 1