06z

gfsnh-0-198.png?6

12z 

gfsnh-0-192.png?12

Some decent WAA pumping up to the west of Greenland

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, swilliam said:

Shortwave alert around Iceland - holding back the colder air.gfs-0-192.thumb.png.7059ba1c0b4d7c85ce50

I wonder if they might drop down within the flow though and gift the north with some whiteness.. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Cold, Very Snowy
2 minutes ago, swilliam said:

Shortwave alert around Iceland - holding back the colder air.gfs-0-192.thumb.png.7059ba1c0b4d7c85ce50

Nothing wrong with that as may introduce a snow opportunity in it's own right and colder air does arrive. Also better heights Atlantic and Greenland

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!
2 minutes ago, swilliam said:

I think GFS throws up the worse possible scenario from 168 to 192 with all the energy going in the wrong directions and appearing in the wrong places so I am happy with the run out to the reliable.

Posted
4 hours ago, swilliam said:

Negatively tilted though. May slide into the colder air.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

UKMO looks very good to me @144, full of potential.

Modele UKMO - Carte prévisions

GEM cut off Greenland high, could just do with being a little further East.

gemnh-0-228.png?12

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

All gone a bit messy.

Looks like the heights over Greenland have gone and the PV is rebuilding in later stages.

gfsnh-0-234.png?12

Posted
6 minutes ago, Mucka said:

UKMO looks very good to me @144, full of potential.

Modele UKMO - Carte prévisions

Does look nice.. And if my learnings are correct, then it is certainly unusual to see high pressure over Newfoundland instead of the next low pressure system lining us up. I also notice that there is low pressure area over the north eastern states, which might  prove helpful towards pumping up the Newfoundland high a little more.. So far I would the 12z suite has been postive for coldies.

Edited by TSNWK
  • Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, radiohead said:

GEM

gemnh-0-222.png?12

Does look ok to me.. And with that vortex over north eastern Canada with its negative tilt, surely that can only help pump up the Greenland high

Posted
5 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

All gone a bit messy.

Looks like the heights over Greenland have gone and the PV is rebuilding in later stages.

gfsnh-0-234.png?12

This run is like a reverse of what usually happens in the search for cold. Normally the signal is tentative and we have to search around for runs where everything goes just right to get some eye candy - in this case everything goes just wrong to avoid eye candy. For that reason I would give much more weight to the positives out to 168 than the negatives thereafter. I think the ensembles and 10 day mean anomalies will be telling in that regard but we will see.

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 4

Posted

gfsnh-1-288.png?12

Can you imagine that would just be our luckkk......

Cold spreading into africa?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

The 12z looks better on face of it compared to 06z but it isn't.  Block will collapse as that SW near Iceland puts spanner in works.

I get this feeling that the ridge is a temporary one and won't succeed to dig in and hold this time round.  This isn't to say it won't but just my take on it.  If it can get a propoer foot in then it could get very interesting cold wise.

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 1

Posted

We just always seem to be so unlucky previous runs the Greenland high would not build strong enough to meet the Arctic high now it seems the Arctic high is not strong enough to help the Greenland high you can,t write this stuff:wallbash::wallbash: still plenty of time for improvements :D:D

Edited by booferking

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

The gfs 12z'

Starts ok sniffs at cross polar positive flow..then quickly stamps on the idea!

Gem, pick of the 12zbunch (thus far)! With a partial greenland block' extending to a more pronounced one.

Its typical model mismanagement via gfs imo...

And plenty to be watching for on a northern hemispherical scale.

Be watching this evening ecm with KEEN interest! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......

GFS is having a nightmare trying to model the US in the next week or so; there is no consistency at all. Because of that the building blocks are having so many contrasting things thrown at them that eventually one of them sticks.

Until that pattern is settled then anything beyond 144h is going to be on shifting sands.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

The 12z GFS is bad but no point worrying about it as it will all change again by the 18z. All the models are struggling, so no point looking after 144.

• Like 2

Posted

Well the GFS backtracks towards the more amplified solution and looks good for a time before going downhill. Regardless of the later timeframes we do need to see that more amplified upstream pattern because this at least gives a chance for some WAA towards Greenland. The UKMO is more interesting especially as it takes the jet further south.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

Let's just hope this is not a repeat of what happened last week. The ECM and UKMO were both optimistic and then back tracked to more of a blended version of what the GFS had showed.

The GFS gets criticised for showing messy scenarios when the Euros can often be cleaner but sometimes they are too clean and the ECM has had a tendency to over amplify things the last 18 months. 

Posted

Disturbance in the force.

gensnh-1-1-180.png

Looking at GFS ensembles out to 192, and predictions for the NH profile, I think we will be very unfortunate not to get something out of this one way or another. (At least first proper cold snap/spell of the Winter)

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 2