Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussions pm 31/12/15

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything
2 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

The question to ask Nick is, how likely at that time scale is this to actually happen? Will it be there at T198h, moved on of course from the actual position shown at 222h. At 240h even at 500mb any model is rarely more than 70% correct. At the surface then it is much less for such detail.

Not only the margin of error that FI gives but it's the 06z and taking that seriously after D7 is going to lead to a lot of disappointments! Anyway both the op and control have little support from the GEFS and are technical outliers after D10:

568910f0cb91b_graphe3_1000_306_141___Lon      568911931772e_gfsnh-0-276(1).thumb.png.1

Added to that both the hi res runs have the perfect setup^^^ with an upper low setting up just west of the Azores aiding two wave WAA towards Greenland. This feature has maybe one other ensemble member support and the rest of the members are rather poor in comparison:

Mean: 5689122238e4a_gens-21-1-384(16).thumb.pn  

The main clusters at D15 are 40% Atlantic and 30% UK high. The GFS is probably too early with the amplification re GP's lag of three weeks, but we would accept it if the hi-res have spotted an early bonus!

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, *Sub*Zero* said:

Just had a look at the 00z ECM control and at day 10 the UK is in a northerly air flow with a ridge out west up to Iceland so frost and snow (for favoured locations in a northerly) all of the UK in -5c or below 850's and the 522 dam to the south coast. Thereafter the ridge gets toppled and we eventually end up with with heights centred over Spain/SW France leaving the UK in W/SW flow with depressions tracking close to Iceland. Would be drier than recently especially over England and Wales, rain at times for the NW of the UK.

I like the beginning bit but not the second part! Hopefully we get the toppling ridge towards Scandi.

• Like 1

Posted
16 minutes ago, Glacier Point said:

Torpedo away !

gltotaam_sig_90day.thumb.jpg.6b831f6895egltend_sig_90day.thumb.jpg.91118529fad12

These westerly winds, induced by the MJO will be fluxed poleward over time (takes around 21 days). On everything we've seen this winter, poleward fluxing has occurred. As soon as those westerlies strike the sub-tropical Atlantic belt, the NAO will flip negative.  The AO being negative should also allow for the MJO to remain highly active, so we may see a further pulses of westerly winds being fluxed poleward after passage of the MJO through the Indian Ocean late January.

Another way to look at the GWO which is going off the scale again much as it did last July which Tamara has often commented on.

gfsgwo_1.thumb.png.0c778d44bd57526ead5c4

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summer, cold winters.

Sorry guys what does gwo stand for and what effects will this have on our shores?

• Like 1

Posted
41 minutes ago, Glacier Point said:

Torpedo away !

gltotaam_sig_90day.thumb.jpg.6b831f6895egltend_sig_90day.thumb.jpg.91118529fad12

These westerly winds, induced by the MJO will be fluxed poleward over time (takes around 21 days). On everything we've seen this winter, poleward fluxing has occurred. As soon as those westerlies strike the sub-tropical Atlantic belt, the NAO will flip negative.  The AO being negative should also allow for the MJO to remain highly active, so we may see a further pulses of westerly winds being fluxed poleward after passage of the MJO through the Indian Ocean late January.

is there any way to watch the progress of the "torpedo"?

basically so we can 'up periscope' and see it hit its target!

542401647-naval-warfare-u-boat-war-view-through-the-gettyimages.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, IDO said:

Not only the margin of error that FI gives but it's the 06z and taking that seriously after D7 is going to lead to a lot of disappointments! Anyway both the op and control have little support from the GEFS and are technical outliers after D10:

568910f0cb91b_graphe3_1000_306_141___Lon      568911931772e_gfsnh-0-276(1).thumb.png.1

Added to that both the hi res runs have the perfect setup^^^ with an upper low setting up just west of the Azores aiding two wave WAA towards Greenland. This feature has maybe one other ensemble member support and the rest of the members are rather poor in comparison:

The main clusters at D15 are 40% Atlantic and 30% UK high. The GFS is probably too early with the amplification re GP's lag of three weeks, but we would accept it if the hi-res have spotted an early bonus!

IDO the 850's don't always give a correct picture. We want to see what the pattern looks like at T240hrs, like where is the PV, has it split over Greenland and how many tweeks are needed to get it to support the GFS operational and control runs. The issue seems to be shortwave attachment to the UK troughing but even with that I count around 8 which look promising. Bear in mind that its the upstream pattern between T144 and T168hrs which allows the progression to what the GFS and control run deliver.

If the ensembles have got that wrong then the rest is likely to be wrong. I think we need to wait and see what happens with those shortwaves to the sw, I'm more worried about those and that's why I'm being cautious.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)
17 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

I like the beginning bit but not the second part! Hopefully we get the toppling ridge towards Scandi.

I don't like the second part either! A bit of deja vu for a moment but there was no blow torch mild air as we saw last month! The very last frame 360hrs temps are approaching double figures with the 546 dam approaching, but very much FI by this stage! 

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, cyclonic happiness said:

I don't know if that's any better. If it's gonna be extremely wet and windy, I'd rather it be mild.

This really is turning into Japanese water torture isn't it?  :D 

It'll be good for the Scottish ski resorts though. Sometimes these cold meridional setups when we nudge north of the PFJ are the best conditions for them.

For the rest it could be grim and I agree with you. If you're going to have lashing rain it's probably better it's mild than cold.

We do indeed need to look for those Greenland height rises with this kind of pattern.

Edited by West is Best
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards, drifting snow, ice days
1 hour ago, bobbydog said:

is there any way to watch the progress of the "torpedo"?

basically so we can 'up periscope' and see it hit its target!

542401647-naval-warfare-u-boat-war-view-through-the-gettyimages.jpg

Apologies for my ignorance but what is the 'Torpedo'?

Posted
3 minutes ago, Sideways Snow said:

Apologies for my ignorance but what is the 'Torpedo'?

I am assuming it is a metaphor for that AAM spike!

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, IDO said:

long time lurker so go easy!! am i right in assuming that upper low west of the azores is a consequence of what GP is referring to when he says as soon as the westerlies hit the sub-tropical Atlantic that will flip the NAO negative? ie low presure in the sub tropical atlantic aiding WAA north and setting up a High pressure in our locale thus the NAO flipping negative...??

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Here you go E.W :  Global Wind Oscillation

http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/map/clim/gwo_maproom_new.htm

http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/map/clim/wb08_revised_final.pdf

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards, drifting snow, ice days
11 minutes ago, IDO said:

I am assuming it is a metaphor for that AAM spike!

Thanks IDO

Posted
1 hour ago, nick sussex said:

IDO the 850's don't always give a correct picture. We want to see what the pattern looks like at T240hrs, like where is the PV, has it split over Greenland and how many tweeks are needed to get it to support the GFS operational and control runs. The issue seems to be shortwave attachment to the UK troughing but even with that I count around 8 which look promising. Bear in mind that its the upstream pattern between T144 and T168hrs which allows the progression to what the GFS and control run deliver.

If the ensembles have got that wrong then the rest is likely to be wrong. I think we need to wait and see what happens with those shortwaves to the sw, I'm more worried about those and that's why I'm being cautious.

Sorry Nick, I was coming from a purely statistical point of view. The T850's are outside the margins of error and therefore the chances of them happening statistically are low compared to the dataset, though with weather the confidence in that conclusion is maybe less certain, as of course the ensembles may be having a bad day:oops:.

As you say in a fluid situation with maybe the Weather Gods onside for the UK what we see is quite feasible, but I do like a bit more support before I will tell family and friends (once bitten...). As I have said in previous posts I think GFS sporadic cold charts are just jumping the gun with reference to background signals. The last week of Jan looks like where we may get some Rossby wave action and even then the UK maybe on the wrong side of any block:wallbash:

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, kev f said:

long time lurker so go easy!! am i right in assuming that upper low west of the azores is a consequence of what GP is referring to when he says as soon as the westerlies hit the sub-tropical Atlantic that will flip the NAO negative? ie low presure in the sub tropical atlantic aiding WAA north and setting up a High pressure in our locale thus the NAO flipping negative...??

No. See Bluearmy's post, too early. That cut off upper low is an aid to supporting any HP cell (stops it sinking as quick) so is helful to get some WAA up north. Getting a feature like that right at this range would be a rare feat from GFS so I wouldn't get too hopeful yet of that being the final solution.

Just keep watching and there may be some promising charts showing up around next weekend onwards...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summer, cold winters.
19 minutes ago, Polar Maritime said:

Thanks PM.mUch appreciated.EW

Posted

Models please, There is a banter thread open. Thanks.

• Like 2

Posted
36 minutes ago, Polar Maritime said:

Some good discussions about the GWO (Global Wind Oscillation) here on Netweather from a few years back as well.

Gwo And Global Angular Momentum - The netweather guides... - Netweather Community Forums

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, severe gales, heavy rain and alpine climates

A question for the more experienced perhaps? Currently sea surface temperatures are approximately 2 - 4 C above average (anyone who lives near the coast will notice this) with the current sea surface temperatures here on the Northumberland coast at 11.5 C! (anomolies chart below). Have we ever been in such a scenario in January?

sst_anom.gif (800×600)

So lets say such a scenario plays out where a prolonged northerly / north easterly occurs as is now being discussed as potential - my thoughts are that this in the short term is more likely to lead to increased convection, but significant modification delivering cold rain and sleet to many low lying / coastal locations rather than snow, and given the elevated SSTs - the most likely scenario is that the Scottish Highlands and other upland areas of the UK (NYM, Cheviots, Pennines etc) will get a pasting with the rest of the UK left cold and soggy.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

A ramping post and replies have been moved here https://forum.netweather.tv/topic/84481-winters-moans-ramps-chat-and-banter/

where they are better suited.

We welcome any punts for the longer range as long as they are shown to have some model or similar data to support them.

Edited by phil nw.
  • Like 6

Posted

The dynamical model forecasts for the MJO haven't been updated for a few days so looking at the smoothed out version which reduces ENSO and Kelvin wave interference this still looks good:

realtimemjo.thumb.png.6178bc1d9185b98233

The MJO composite chart for high amplitude phase 7 and positive ENSO is here:

JanENMJOphase7gt1500mb.thumb.gif.8cc4959

Note the similarities with the chart that Greenland 1080 just posted! Interesting, if only things were that simple! Because of the very strong ENSO this will have some moderation of the MJO signal but nice to see regardless.

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 1

Posted

06z GFS parallel run agrees with the "normal" GFS regarding the possible mid-month cold shot.

gfsnh-0-276.thumb.png.2ad37e0ed8faedd13a

• Like 1

Posted
16 minutes ago, recklessabandon said:

A question for the more experienced perhaps? Currently sea surface temperatures are approximately 2 - 4 C above average (anyone who lives near the coast will notice this) with the current sea surface temperatures here on the Northumberland coast at 11.5 C! (anomolies chart below). Have we ever been in such a scenario in January?

sst_anom.gif (800×600)

So lets say such a scenario plays out where a prolonged northerly / north easterly occurs as is now being discussed as potential - my thoughts are that this in the short term is more likely to lead to increased convection, but significant modification delivering cold rain and sleet to many low lying / coastal locations rather than snow, and given the elevated SSTs - the most likely scenario is that the Scottish Highlands and other upland areas of the UK (NYM, Cheviots, Pennines etc) will get a pasting with the rest of the UK left cold and soggy.

I have to say I find that anomaly surprisingly high. This was the chart week ending the 27th

ST.thumb.jpg.4f02739a3aa19d960f454544cfe

• Like 4