Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussions pm 31/12/15

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything
9 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Not really the beast we are after, more of its lame lesser cousin. Which is pretty unlikely to verify, very weak ridge that is certain to get shoved east as is usual with the GFS imo 

Yes it's the 06z and very unreliable of late after D10. Another GFS OP with no apparent support:

5687b89a6f85e_graphe6_1000_306_141___Lon

The GFS OP's in FI even on the 0z and 12z are in a state of flux at the moment as they respond to the background signals so it is hard to take them serious (more than normal!) with regard to developments at that range. The main theme for the next 10 days are rainfall totals and the op run up to D10 is showing some very high totals. More so for the western regions, and the south not escaping the deluge from a more westerly Atlantic flow:

240-777UK.thumb.gif.0cc2539b0e0adb367c6f

• Like 1

Posted
16 minutes ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

Will probably post longer after the 12s but I can't understand the despondency. Yes we fail on the direct hit but the chances remain of more shots at cold, and I don't think they will go away either.  We haven't seen the well vaunted pressure rise from the SW have we...

BFTP

Lol! yes the pressure rise looks to have bitten the dust. I wonder does Glosea and some of the other UKMO models actually include an MJO tropospheric response. They obviously have MJO forecasts because we see them, perhaps they think the El Nino will completely override the MJO which is bizarre because NCEP have clearly stated that the MJO will impact the NH pattern and to use their words " destructively interfere with the El Nino downstream response".

Its for this reason they've had to change their January outlook,  of course the question is what effects that will have in Europe.

At this point I'm still happy to go for the displaced Azores high to the nw  initially with eastern USA troughing, and troughing towards Scandi.

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.
19 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Lol! yes the pressure rise looks to have bitten the dust. I wonder does Glosea and some of the other UKMO models actually include an MJO tropospheric response. They obviously have MJO forecasts because we see them, perhaps they think the El Nino will completely override the MJO which is bizarre because NCEP have clearly stated that the MJO will impact the NH pattern and to use their words " destructively interfere with the El Nino downstream response".

Its for this reason they've had to change their January outlook,  of course the question is what effects that will have in Europe.

At this point I'm still happy to go for the displaced Azores high to the nw  initially with eastern USA troughing, and troughing towards Scandi.

I can certainly see the disconnect between the classic strong El-Nino pattern and the pattern predicted on the anomalies for the USA in the extended range.

gensnh-21-5-240.pnggensnh-21-5-300.pnggensnh-21-5-360.png

Low heights persist across the eastern parts of Canada for a good part of the run which is against the classic EN-Nino motif of persistent above average heights. I might be wrong here mind you.

A stronger signal on the 06z suite to recover pressure through a good part of western and north west Europe through the later stages of week 2, it at leasts offers something less unsettled if we can get this trend to build. A lot of water under the bridge to get through first, literally.

GEM ens similar 

gens-21-3-240.pnggens-21-3-300.pnggens-21-3-360.png

The best shot at cold pretty much comes from the evolution shown on the operational where low another the lobe of the polar vortex drops into eastern Canada and pushes a ridge in the Atlantic northwards which can drop enough cold air south to allow the ridge to collapse towards Scandinavia instead of building through Europe.

Edited by Captain Shortwave
  • Like 5

Posted
5 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Yes, it's quite odd as the meto long range forecasts are saying drier to south and east. They have gone against their glossea model which was showing height rises to south west. 

• Like 1

Posted

Yes Captain S, and do bear in mind the time lag in terms of tropospheric response. The dynamic model forecasts have the MJO already in phase 7 , indeed the MJO using the smoothed out version which does its best to remove Kelvin waves and ENSO interference is only just about to leave phase 6.

realtimemjo.thumb.png.f8fe827825665432d7

Using the rough timelag tropospheric response should be expected around 10/11 January.

If theres to be some big changes in the outputs then that's the dates I would be looking for to see the models playing around with displacing the Azores high, a bit like what the GFS has been trying to do.

I think its down to the troughing set up in the eastern USA, how amplified will this be?

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
1 hour ago, Captain Shortwave said:

Indeed PM, the GFS has again found a cold solution for around the 13th/14th onwards. This time an Atlantic low undercuts the developing Atlantic ridge and slides through the channel, northerly follows with perhaps a chance to veer the winds north easterly as the low clears and heights build to the north/north east.

gfs-0-276.png?6gfs-0-300.png?6gfs-0-324.png?6

There certainly seems to be a window of opportunity around mid-month again after a spell of unsettled and stormy weather. That said said I would like to see some strengthening anomaly evidence for this from the ensembles and NOAA.

Actually seen that 'window of opportunity' a couple of times show up mid-month on the CFS (monthly) - so certainly something to keep an eye on but unfortunately the high pressure rather than joining heights over Norway (and a prolonged cold spell) the CFS was modelling just a toppler.

Posted

As noted in previous posts the GEFs (not the ecm) has been signalling height rise from the south in days 10-15 but it's very dependent even if does materialise, on the orientation of the surface high. It would produce more settled weather but certainly no guarantee of anything very cold

gefs_z500a_5d_nh_41.thumb.png.dd1a3a5943gefs_z500a_5d_nh_63.thumb.png.a1c3cbc0e7gefs_t2ma_5d_eur_63.thumb.png.d055c39412

• Like 1

Posted

And just to throw this into the ring the  EPS Parallel 46 day output has the European HP ridging north over the UK 18th-28th.

Edited by knocker
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

I have been looking out for high pressure in FI, still trends for it to build, I would even pay for this to come off, if only, we deserve a break, especially flooded areas of the north

gfs-0-348.png?6

• Like 3

Posted

Huge spread in the ECMWF ensemble means on that deep low around midweek. The hi-res operational gives sub-940 hPa but the mean is more like 964 hPa. A large spread in the strength and position of the upper trough too.

ec-ens_nat_mslstd_mslmean_hres-msl_20160

ec-ens_nat_gh500mean_gh500std_thk500mean

Edited by Su Campu
  • Like 1

Posted
45 minutes ago, knocker said:

And just to throw this into the ring the  EPS Parallel 46 day output has the European HP ridging north over the UK 18th-28th.

I would bank that right now. The amount of rain is absolutely ridiculous now, shocking.

Posted
1 hour ago, Glacier Point said:

So, following up on previous posting....

Steady as she goes..

So looking more and more like a mediocre affair by the looks of it. Certainly for the rest of Jan anyway. One transient northerly in Jan does not a winter maketh imo.

Edited by Polar Maritime
To reduce long quote.
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
2 hours ago, The PIT said:

Surprised nobodies posted the beast from the east

viewimage.pbx.png

possibly because people are now more aware of getting too excited over one or two fi charts that dont have support?...

the anomaly charts would suggest that any such synoptic chart would only be brief (although i suppose welcome) affair.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Nemesis said:

There's always a lot of talk about the beast from the east on this thread - here's a great vid (apologies mods if its off topic too much - feel free to delete) of how the models were in the run up to the great Jan 1987 event running from December (which shows a surprisingly similar mild trend to this December) to the big event. I'm not implying in anyway its at all similar this year just interesting.

Quite agree that on the face of it, this is not too dissimilar our December pattern and it is easy to wonder, did we just miss out?? I very much doubt it. I am not a great believer in simple year-on-year analogue comparisons. There are just too many drivers in force and it is their mind-blowing complex interactions with other that keeps us from being able to forecast the weather any better than we are currently able to (and in my view, ever will be able to).

So as is almost always the case when doing these,it does seem things were running differently back in the run up to that event, so with the small amount of relevant (or maybe not, who knows?) data available, the differences were, IMO, not insignificant...

We are in a declining W-QBO pattern, Jan87 was in an inclining E-QBO pattern.

We are in the midst of a strong El-Nino peak, Jan87 was in a moderate inclining El-Nino state.

The temperature in the higher latitudes has been running at about 10 degrees C cooler than back in Dec'86-Jan87, in conjunction zonal winds have been stronger this winter as well, this vortex on paper looks a much tougher nut to crack than the one back then.

There was a strong wave2 peak mid December, I suspect this could have helped split the tropospheric vortex shortly afterwards, we on the other hand, have had very low wave2 action thus far this winter.

There was moderate to strong (and maybe crucially, constant) wave1activity from Mid December '86 onwards, this is closer to what we have had but Dec'15 has been more sporadic in nature. Although, this is probably looking to increase as we head into January.

Jan '87 delivered because the atmospheric drivers / state listed (combined with numerous others not listed) came together ( with nigh-on perfect timing) to give us that remarkable event. So whilst a repeat of that cold spell will no doubt appear again (at some point) in similar guise on the 500hpa charts, it will never be as a result of that exact combination. There were/are some pre-requisites though and we can at least look out for those. Vortex disruption, established heights in and around the Arctic area, subsequent severe cold pooling to our NE and most crucially the nosing down (as opposed to a ridging up of a Mid-lat high) of a fully fledged Arctic high. So currently with meandering heights around the pole, very cold pooling to our NE it is not impossible to think that, for all we know... with slightly different underlying conditions, a Jan'87 repeat was (still is?) as close to repeating this year as any year since. Hence why I was very interested by the unusual vertical WAA surge to our east up into the pole and what happened next, any time that happens in winter it opens up a rare window (however small) to an extreme event like the early Jan-87 event.

Anyway, probably all irrelevant as the the next cold spell (should it appear at all) looks far more likely to come from a more 'conventional' route, aka Greenland hight rises mid month onwards.

• Like 9

Posted

Well I for one would be happier if GP was forecasting cold rather than the Meto. I find they chop and change if and when the charts do.

So in that regard lots to look forward to as we await this evenings runs....

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, Glacier Point said:

@blizzard81 I think maybe you interpretation of that would be different to mine..

Northerly flow period occurring during 15th-20th January, candidate pattern shift to classical -NAO around 25th/26th January.  If the cards fell right, that could be cold throughout and would certainly denote potential for the second half of the month to be colder than the first, more likely the latter third.

Thanks GP. My post was more reflective of my rather pessimistic mood today lol. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.
1 hour ago, blizzard81 said:

So looking more and more like a mediocre affair by the looks of it. Certainly for the rest of Jan anyway. One transient northerly in Jan does not a winter maketh imo.

I'm not sure that is quite the correct interpretation of GP's post at all. Did you not look at that composite for February? If the last week of January turns cold, and this intensifies through the first half of February then I think we will all be happy...

... apart from the snow starved members of the South and South West of England. I didnt like the bit about a potential north/south split! I'm gonna conveniently ignore that, and trust in a deep European trough to our south come February.... :-)

• Like 4

Posted

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?mode=2&ech=204

i  know its  fantasy  world  but the gfs is hinting of a possible  change to a bit colder weather  after  jan 12

Posted
Just now, Catacol said:

I'm not sure that is quite the correct interpretation of GP's post at all. Did you not look at that composite for February? If the last week of January turns cold, and this intensifies through the first half of February then I think we will all be happy...

... apart from the snow starved members of the South and South West of England. I didnt like the bit about a potential north/south split! I'm gonna conveniently ignore that, and trust in a deep European trough to our south come February.... :-)

Thanks Catacol. Mine was just a weary post from a snow starved member lol. Third winter (and counting) of discontent.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.
12 minutes ago, blizzard81 said:

Thanks Catacol. Mine was just a weary post from a snow starved member lol. Third winter (and counting) of discontent.

Ha - me too.... Got to go back several years for any snow here in lowland Somerset... and there wasnt any at all from 1999 - Feb 2009 in my first 10 years here (bar a brief flurry in Nov 2005 I think...). Enough to make the teeth grind a-plenty.

But with both GP and RJS going for some cold in the not too distant future there is enough to be interested with. As I'll have to post a model chart to avoid being binned, let's look at something like this from mid month as a starting point. It certainly fits GP's thinking of "transient amplification" to start off winter proper... 

gfsnh-0-312.png?6

Edited by Catacol
  • Like 4