Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Atlantic Storm #6 - Frank

Thunderbolt_

Posted

Not real rain here at all just 1.5miles west of Belfast International Airport.

Wind is causing some issues as Jello mentions above.

The secondary low does look quite concerning, surprised it hasn't really been mentioned fatboy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)
6 minutes ago, E4-Fatboy said:

Would I be correct in thinking that the secondary low is more of an issue, than storm Frank itself.

GFS not interested in the secondary feature bringing any significant winds, ECM still has it but wind speeds have been reduced on the latest run... so tonight is looking like the windiest period but wouldn't rule out some increased wind speeds from the small low due to run in across Ireland. 

Edited by *Sub*Zero*

Posted
2 minutes ago, E4-Fatboy said:

Would I be correct in thinking that the secondary low is more of an issue, than storm Frank itself.

Looking at the track of the secondary low it seems destined to thunder through the central belt of Scotland so for me I think it's going to be the major issue here. I'm in a rural area surrounded by trees in the garden and two horses stabled in a field shelter at the side of the house. It has no foundations, just huge pegs holding it down. Luckily it's quite sheltered there, but I think I may have to nail the horses down. I may stay up most of the night just in case.

• Like 3

Posted

Having followed this thread from a far and with limited knowledge, my understanding was the second low was the low carrying all the fronts with rain on and this was going to be the issue, to the north of the country, adding to the already saturated ground in those areas.

Posted

The rain is starting to pile in now from south west Ireland, continued to blow gales here for the last 5-6 hours and been as strong at the start as it is now

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Nowhere near as bad down here, but it is picking up a lot now.
The MetO have me down for 50 - 57mph gusts tomorrow, that's the highest speeds forecasted this season for my part of the region. I can't see my station beating that rogue 55mph gust I had last week though! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Didnt expect the wind to be this strong, its actually pretty mental outside.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms
43 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Nowhere near as bad down here, but it is picking up a lot now.
The MetO have me down for 50 - 57mph gusts tomorrow, that's the highest speeds forecasted this season for my part of the region. I can't see my station beating that rogue 55mph gust I had last week though! :)

No Condor Liberation sailing tomorrow then!!!!!

Posted

Atlantic eastbound crossings will be making the advantage of the jetstream, record-times i'd expect for some airlines crossing transatlantic. Westbounds however will be taking the brunt of this adding up to delays. AMX over Iceland is currently at 591mph (m 0.7)

The Shipping tracker also shows a few trawlers offshore the Irish Coast, taking the brunt of the winds and waves. 

Edited by SNOW_JOKE

Posted

Great nights sleep.... NOT!! And it's still blowing strong, St Bee's station down the coast recording gusts 65-70mph overnight. Hasn't rained too heavy thankfully but not over yet and looks bad over Ireland if that fronts going to move eastwards. Intense rainfall over Scotland. 

Edited by *Sub*Zero*

Posted

looking  bad  over scotland   ,reports  of lots of damage in ireland  ,its looks  like the rain now heading to the nw  of the uk

Posted

Managed a full 2 hours sleep thus far, currently listening to liveatc and watching the FR24 for Dublin inbounds. First batch of the arrivals should be arriving at 7am, at the height of the rain, already had one go-around due to windshear warning about 5.50am.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

It's wild out there this morning, Gusting 57mph S/W here with light/moderate horizontal rain. Feeling mild with temp 10.2c Rain 0.6mm

a.png

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 2

Posted

Maybe that small low is going to cause some problems, have a look at  XC over S Ireland, the winds have increased again over the last hour or so - http://www.xcweather.co.uk/

ECM 00z pressure chart for 6z this morning and gust chart for 12z, 60-65kts in places as it zips NE, strange no mention of it on any TV broadcasts but haven't seen any today...

ecmp6.thumb.png.29542d6542c4dc89f6e89c41ecmg15.thumb.png.c9f537d0a3ad168b5dc2fe3

Euro4 also showing a short lived period of severe gales from this little feature. 

e44.thumb.gif.679920484123cfec99e6c23ca8

Edited by *Sub*Zero*
  • Like 1