Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thunderbolt_

Boxing Day Sales

These sales are something that occur every year, and have done for a long time, but they always happen it irritate me! It is of course the dreaded Boxing Day Sales.

I was settling down to watch TV yesterday and on Christmas Eve and was getting increasingly annoyed by all the adverts being thrown in my face about these stupid sales that start first thing in the morning. As if we've not bleeding spent enough already?! Boxing Day to me is supposed to be a day of rest that should be spent with family, not another commercial day and I really feel for those today who are forced into work for this rubbish!

So after my little rant, what are your opinions on it?

I'm afraid its just something we've got to get used to now I have shopped online on Christmas day and in stores boxing day

At the same time there is absolutely no need for shops like Next and Matalan to open at 6am

no sales at all. people think they are getting a bargain when in fact. all the shops do is put a few loss leaders on offer

You're not even getting a bargain either. It's just old stuff from before Christmas that they want to clear out. I pity the poor sods who get sucked into it ever year.

The best bargain is the one you don't need and don't pay for.

Spend the day with your loved ones and for all those dedicated folk who have to work in hospitals and other emergency services a huge thank you for helping to keep us safe.

As a nation we pay over the odds for most things so it makes you think when companies put that 'expensive TV' down to half price and will probably still make a profit on that anyway, or putting the price up on things before Christmas then bring it back down to the original selling price in the 'sale' -I even believe a famous retailer got into trouble for doing it. 

I was lucky in my retail days I got at least both xmas day and boxing day off, but unless you are really happy to do so why would you want to work on boxing day yet alone go shop? 

Queensville Retail car park absolutely packed at 8am! must be for Next sale, for heaven's sake give shop workers a rest, heard they opened at 6am

Speaking of the boxing day sales the Lush website is under huge pressure this evening

21443344.png

Shut all big retailers from the 24th Dec right up until the 2nd of Jan. Then begin the sales. Question is how would people survive?   Many would crumple without the convenience factor because quite simply they really don't know any different. Also don't realise, or even care, that many workers need to get a proper rest and some quality time together. True crimbo spirit has been lost long ago now that cash is king.

21 minutes ago, four seasons in one day said:

Shut all big retailers from the 24th Dec right up until the 2nd of Jan. Then begin the sales. Question is how would people survive?   Many would crumple without the convenience factor because quite simply they really don't know any different. Also don't realise, or even care, that many workers need to get a proper rest and some quality time together. True crimbo spirit has been lost long ago now that cash is king.

It's sad isn't it really, how people can't seem to go more than 24 hours without a shop. They all shop like maniacs on Christmas Eve, as if there is a big famine predicted.

I said this earlier, but I really do feel for the shop employees on Boxing Day as they will be forced to go in without any chance of having the day off like everyone else, because the shops know they will be busy with these stupid sales. For them, Christmas break is only one day pretty much, and I actually wonder when the government will finally say that shops can open on Christmas Day...

I went on to the Topman website to get my bargains pn Boxing Day - and I received a Topman gift voucher for Christmas with £100 on it - woohoo! But the jeans I desperately wanted are out of stock and not available at my nearest store. Boo!

Personally speaking, I don't hold Boxing Day in high regard. For me, it's just another day off. It isn't just retail workers who have to work Boxing Day either - my sister is a social worker and was at work yesterday. She came down from Middlesbrough for Christmas and had to leave early the next day. She worked on Christmas Day last year - and she isn't alone as  countless people have to work Christmas Day - usually emergency services, hospital workers.

Just one reasons amongst many that I wouldn't work in retail, or work as a nurse, or a police officer or firefighter.

I know people who have 'camped' outside next at 5am during the sales, I mean some of the next stuff is nice but c'mon why would you want to sit outside in the 'cold?!' to buy last seasons tat? I wouldn't of done that in a younger days when I was clothes shopping mad.

Spotted some real Xmas trees for sale today, half price and down to less than a tenner each lol. Just proves how gullible and quite frankly silly many are at this time of year. When prices plummet from just a few days beforehand. Including many so called luxury food items, millions of pounds worth of which will probably end up being binned. Ho, ho, ho :D

On 27 December 2015 at 8:26 PM, Dami said:

I know people who have 'camped' outside next at 5am during the sales, I mean some of the next stuff is nice but c'mon why would you want to sit outside in the 'cold?!' to buy last seasons tat? I wouldn't of done that in a younger days when I was clothes shopping mad.

do they anymore?..not like 10-15 yrs ago..i went out on boxing day ...mostly as i wanted a coffee and a cake for breakfast and the local mall was dead compared to previous years..i think shopping is now mostly online where there are sales pretty much 24/7 365 days a year ..gone are tha days when i was a kid of sales  just once a year where people would camp out for weeks for that £50 colour tv! 

1 hour ago, cheeky_monkey said:

do they anymore?..not like 10-15 yrs ago..i went out on boxing day ...mostly as i wanted a coffee and a cake for breakfast and the local mall was dead compared to previous years..i think shopping is now mostly online where there are sales pretty much 24/7 365 days a year ..gone are tha days when i was a kid of sales  just once a year where people would camp out for weeks for that £50 colour tv! 

Not sure if they do anymore as one of the ladies i know became a mum, but the retail park down the road was so busy when hubs went to get a doll with bubs xmas money, people asked him if he was going before he had reached the car. As much as online is easy, nothing really beats a proper shop and seeing the items and being able to buy them and get them, straight away. 

I think one of the nicest shops to go to is a waterstones, and i'm not much of a reader. The one in my home town had a very peaceful atmosphere and you could smell the newness of the books.  

I agree sales are getting out of hand. I used to look forward to NewYears day and bagging a bargain, now it's sales all year long and it's lost the magic of finding something you had your eye on being cheaper!

But then again everyone is so much greedier.

Give us your money because Christmas is coming!:angry: Give us your money because it's the sales:angry: Give us your money because it's new year:angry: Give us your money because you need to go on holiday and have a break from giving everyone your money:angry: Haven't you greedy ******** made enough money out of everyone already?:angry: More to life than profits and feeding the economy:angry::reindeer-emoji:

7 hours ago, lassie23 said:

Give us your money because Christmas is coming!:angry: Give us your money because it's the sales:angry: Give us your money because it's new year:angry: Give us your money because you need to go on holiday and have a break from giving everyone your money:angry: Haven't you greedy ******** made enough money out of everyone already?:angry: More to life than profits and feeding the economy:angry::reindeer-emoji:

You sound a bit er angry bit like the crowd in the clip above lol?  Vowing to get in. Make their point perhaps. You could always not bother with the buying job done :)

I just buy people Christmas presents and that's where it ends for me:D Oh and I buy a tin of sardines to see the new year in!:reindeer-emoji:

On 27/12/2015 at 8:26 PM, Dami said:

not a problem nowadays, tropical at Queensville it was! 13C