Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Deleting a quote box

AWD

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

This may be simple but with a banging headache I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

In the Sports section I quoted someone's post and wrote my post below as normal.  Submitted post and all was fine.

I now want to write another post in the same thread but I still have the original quote I previously quoted in my posting box.  Whilst I can delete all the writing in the quote box, the actual grey quote box remains.  I can't delete it from my posting box.

1) Is it right that every time I make a post into a thread that I've previously posted in after the upgrade, the previous post stays in my post box and I have to manually delete it?

2) If Yes, how do I delete the grey quote box?

Thankyou

Posted

It's the dumbed down interface again, which assumes we are too stupid to understand BB code or Html tags and hides them.
It wouldn't be so bad if you could select an option to insert tags manually.
I think your best option would be to start again and use a different quote method e.g. italics and "quote" marks

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms
16 hours ago, Paul said:

If you click the top left of the quote box, then hit backspace or delete, it'll remove it, and it shouldn't return.

That doesn't always work. I've tried it and either nothing happens or it sends me back to the previous page.

Posted

Same thing happens for me and I'd stopped posting till the wife showed me what was wrong.

Put your cursor over the quote you don't want and a little symbol with squares appears above the box in the top left. Move the cursor over that symbol and when cursor changes to diamond shape over the squares; click on it, hit backspace and it is gone.

Posted

Only works sometimes for me, GF. Other times it clears all the text, does nothing or goes back a page.

Posted
1 hour ago, BornFromTheVoid said:

That doesn't always work. I've tried it and either nothing happens or it sends me back to the previous page.

You need to make sure it's selected - by clicking on the cross top-left, it should work every time then. I've not had an issue with it since doing it the once. 

Posted
2 hours ago, Paul said:

You need to make sure it's selected - by clicking on the cross top-left, it should work every time then. I've not had an issue with it since doing it the once. 

I've made sure, many times. But like I said, it doesn't always work. Saying that, since I switched to Edge, I haven't had an issue with it (about 3 days ago). The problems were in chrome.

Posted
14 minutes ago, BornFromTheVoid said:

I've made sure, many times. But like I said, it doesn't always work. Saying that, since I switched to Edge, I haven't had an issue with it (about 3 days ago). The problems were in chrome.

I use chrome, although the method Paul suggested above seems to have resolved the issue currently.

Bit annoying that you have to do it every time you make an additional post into the same thread though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

same here too Paul, I'm on the latest chrome release and it's a pain.....when I've managed to get rid of the previous quote box using the method above, I can't then add any text!....I've switched to the new MS Edge browser to test it, and no probs replying to quoted posts with this browser....bizarre

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
2 minutes ago, Paul said:

Clear your cache AJ. It should sort it - the change in browser helps because you have an empty cache on there.

*test*

yep, cheers mate, solved! :)

• 8 months later...
Posted

I've recently brought a new phone which runs on Android Marshmallow.

My previous way of deleting a quote box by clicking the top left corner and pressing delete no longer works.

Have also tried manually deleting it and using backspace to no avail.

Have read other replies above which I don't think are applicable to my device.

Any suggestions of what to do or how to go about this?

Posted

I have a marshmallow based phone, and don't think I've had a problem with it - will have a look, remind myself what I did to remove one, and let you know. 

Posted

Thankyou

Posted

I'm not ignoring this, am just looking for a solution as it does appear not to want to remove the quotes on some versions of Android. It's been flagged as a bug with Invision for months now, but still no fix, so will contact them and see what's happening. 

Posted

Have finally got a fix for this, sorry for the delay. We've added an undo button to the editor on mobile and tablet, if you have a quote which won't go, clicking that as soon as you open the post editor will clear it. @AWD

undo-button.png

Posted

Brilliant, Thankyou.

Can confirm it works.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

Thanks Paul, as you know I posted a similar thing a while back but this fix is great.

Any reason why the italics button has gone from the editor bar please? Only got five icons now... Page with magnifier, bold, smilies, link and undo .

Maybe I need to change a setting?

Posted
On 06/09/2016 at 09:28, Paul said:

I think that's something at our end rather than yours, will take a look. 

Thanks Paul, seems to have reappeared. I didn't knowingly do anything but all good now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

cant use the quote box..click on it but nothing happens..must be something to do with cookies or something but I cant find how to change this either??

Posted
1 hour ago, kar999 said:

Thanks Paul, seems to have reappeared. I didn't knowingly do anything but all good now.

Sorry yep, meant to say that we'd re-added yesterday.

49 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

cant use the quote box..click on it but nothing happens..must be something to do with cookies or something but I cant find how to change this either??

What are you trying to do with the quote box, and what device are you on there?

• Like 1