Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

7 Days 7 Charts

lorenzo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

This is a confusing concept, I got tagged in a 7 days 7 tunes thing on facebook.

So rather than tunes I thought 7 days 7 charts. Perhaps better  - 1 day 1 chart.

Game is - 

You pick a chart and then tag another member in the post for that chart and then they roll it forward.

You can do a tag by writing @ then the members name...

If you get tagged you have to post a chart then tag someone...

Enjoy !

Tagged 7 of you ! could have been more, pick a chart and tag !!

First Up

Rrea00120101130.thumb.gif.11197a37d223ea

Really obvious choice, cold euro continent, cold floating off the continental shelf into a flow that dialled in on the east coast of Scotland burying everything in it's path. Heavenly Beasterly. @chionomaniac @The real Lomond snowstorm @LomondSnowstorm @sub zero @damianslaw @Glacier Point @bluearmy

Edited by lorenzo
  • Like 2

Posted

image.thumb.jpg.30080a6827ce4690c2f60a92

there are are quite a few wintry options, plus summer of '76, or the 100f+ chart from 10/08/03. 

However, this one is  a beauty and I posted it before Steve got a chance!  For my part of the UK, this is the most reliable snow maker. A brute of an upper cold pool making a direct hit.  Some of you may remember that this was the day the IRA launched mortars at Downing St. 

crewe cold, the chosen one, knocker, fergieweather, IDO, captain shortwave, snowking

@CreweCold @THE CHOSEN ONE @knocker @fergieweather @IDO @Captain Shortwave @snowking

Edited by lorenzo
Names added! Tags Added
  • Like 1

Posted

I could have picked many charts from the summer of 59. It was some summer and my first year working in the METO at Dunstable and it was wall to wall sunshine over the downs.

Rrea00119590820.thumb.gif.306a103da10ffc

@Nick L@Weather-history@Evening thunder@Polar Maritime@mushymanrob@Bristle boy

@nickl @Weather-history @Evening thunder @Polar Maritime @mushymanrob @Bristle boy

Edited by lorenzo
adding tags
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

Well I think I had better go for a strat Chart. And this one is from the first SSW that I monitored on the first strat thread back in January 2009. It led to a short lived but potent easterly with a lot of snow for me here.

post-4523-1232874604.thumb.gif.d7fdce0d1

I nominate @Paul @Nick F @Thundery wintry showers @Frosty. @Catacol @Tamara @BLAST FROM THE PAST

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

My favourite Christmas Day, since I spent it in Tyneside and my location was hit by frequent east-coast snow showers, although Christmas Day 2010 had a deeper snow cover.

Rcfsr_1_1995122512.png

@Weather-history @DiagonalRedLine @Nick F@Nick L @Evening thunder @Polar Maritime

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Loved this December 17th 2010 chart purely for the extremely heavy back-edge showery snow it produced. This was when the blocking High Pressure system over Greenland forced a Low from the Arctic to drop Southwards through Eastern UK bringing much colder weather conditions with it.

Was breaking up from College on that day for Christmas and remember their were showers in the morning falling as rain with the flow backing from the West. Then, in the early afternoon, noticed the skies suddenly turned quite dark and stormy. The radar also showed an area of precipitation intensifying greatly to my North-West. Had assumed this was in response to much colder 850 hPa temperatures undercutting from the North along with lowering 500mb heights increasing instability in the atmosphere to really pep up the precipitation.  The flow backed increasingly from the North and sleet was falling outside. Soon, this was followed by full on snow that went absolutely insane for about 5 to 10 minutes: white-out conditions with dense 50p snowflakes. It managed to leave a covering on the ground as the snow made a hasty exit Southwards/South-Eastwards. Dry, clear, night followed.

@phil nw. @Daniel* @Evening thunder @Nick L @Costa Del Fal @Thunderbolt_ @I remember Atlantic 252 @William Grimsley @conor123 

image.thumb.jpg.d077fed6a2a0deea3f268631

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

archives-1996-11-19-12-0.png

Has to be my memorable chart/ weather day! loved this cold spell, and the only day ever, when I was sent home from school! teachers were stuck, didn't make it in, some of the kids picking on me, as they could see me enjoying the snow!

setup was just perfect for N Midlands, was a snow dumping, and I remember Emma Jesson saying, 'we getting a dumping of snow on Tuesday' low tracked on perfect angle, after a very cold arctic air day on 18th, won't be forgotten for right reasons

@johnholmes @Milhouse @Mokidugway  @lassie23 @Greenland1080 @Summer of 95

Edited by I remember Atlantic 252
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Certainly a difficult choice to pick one.There have been so many since the late 1950's when as a youngster i first noticed weather charts on the BBC after wondering what brought the snow.

I can think of many notable weather events,both hot and cold,through the years.

The cold spells of Winters like 1956,quite a few in the 1960's,1978/9 and 79/80,early 80's, 87,91 and of course 2009/10 and Dec.2010.Add to the that the heat and dry spells in the Summers of 1959,1975,1976 and quite a few in more recent years, although the years don't come to mind as easily as the cold periods.

I have to go with this chart from Boxing day 1962 though

archivesnh-1962-12-26-12-0.thumb.png.762

which really kicked off the long cold Winter of 62/3 nationwide.

We see the cold and a band of snow coming south between a developing Greenland/Iceland block and a Denmark low linked to a trough across the UK.

That day saw max temp stay below freezing for many as the cold dug in.

There had been some cold weather around earlier in the month with some days of freezing fog and frosts but that development around Christmas was the switch to establishing prolonged cold,which as you can see from my signature saw lying snow around here until early March 1963.

For  members who havent yet seen this,a full account of that winter along with fax charts can be found here

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/mtullett/1962-63/index.htm

a very good peice of work from Mike Tullett.

A Winter remarkable for the longevity of the cold and lying lowland snow cover.

@Nick S,@feb1991blizzard,@bobbydog,@gottalovethisweather,@Ali1977,@Weather Boy.

Edited by phil nw.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
3 minutes ago, Thunderbolt_ said:

I'm going to choose a pretty recent event. This is the chart for the Spanish plume in July 2014 which brought one of the best thunderstorms that I have ever seen in this country. The storm went on for over an hour and proudced a lot of lightning. It was definately worth staying up all night for! :)

Rcfsr_1_2014071900.thumb.png.a445b8e7253

This thunderstorm was ultimately bettered by the supercell that battered this region on 1 July 2015, however.

@Mokidugway @Scorcher @IanR @Polar Maritime @Costa Del Fal @Nick F @Essex Easterly

I had the thunder directly overhead, the Thunder and lightning were almost spontaneous, the whole building shook to its foundations, ive only heard louder thunder once in my life, a September in the early 90s in the West Midlands, I think it was 1992 but I may be wrong.

• Like 1

Posted
20 minutes ago, Thunderbolt_ said:

I'm going to choose a pretty recent event. This is the chart for the Spanish plume in July 2014 which brought one of the best thunderstorms that I have ever seen in this country. The storm went on for over an hour and proudced a lot of lightning. It was definately worth staying up all night for! :)

Rcfsr_1_2014071900.thumb.png.a445b8e7253

This thunderstorm was ultimately bettered by the supercell that battered this region on 1 July 2015, however.

@Mokidugway @Scorcher @IanR @Polar Maritime @Costa Del Fal @Nick F @Essex Easterly

I think I may have been out of the country when that event happened, but what a glorious chart that is. I was around for the July event this year though, which was spectacular after a fantastic hot and humid feeling day.

Posted

This one for me, first proper snow for 3 years, we are fast approaching that length again...

@conor123 @Snowyowl9 @Carl46Wrexham @Snowsie @xSnow @Anthony147 @Barbmac

Rrea00119940214.gif

Edited by Thunderbolt_
Added tags.
  • Like 1

Posted
5 hours ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

archives-1996-11-19-12-0.png

Has to be my memorable chart/ weather day! loved this cold spell, and the only day ever, when I was sent home from school! teachers were stuck, didn't make it in, some of the kids picking on me, as they could see me enjoying the snow!

setup was just perfect for N Midlands, was a snow dumping, and I remember Emma Jesson saying, 'we getting a dumping of snow on Tuesday' low tracked on perfect angle, after a very cold arctic air day on 18th, won't be forgotten for right reasons

@johnholmes @Milhouse @Mokidugway  @lassie23 @Greenland1080 @Summer of 95

Will have to be something from 1947 or 1963 when I get a chance to scan things, pc playing up still but will get back

Posted
3 hours ago, Summer of 95 said:

This one for me, first proper snow for 3 years, we are fast approaching that length again...

Rrea00120130320.gif

This one for me an omega block.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

This has got to be my favourite weather day: 20/12/2010. I remember waking up in the early hours and looking out of my bedroom window and gawping at the amount of snow that had accumulated. But, the best part was spending nearly a week always outside in the snow and sledging down our lane! :D

@Evening thunder @ajpoolshark @gottolovethisweather @Mokidugway

Rrea00120101220.gif

Edited by William Grimsley

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

So very recent, this year in fact.

archives-2015-7-1-12-0.pngarchives-2015-7-1-12-1.png

The most potent pulse of heat we have seen since August 2003, 34C recorded where I work in the Fens with RAF Wittering recording its hottest ever day at 35.2C. The most surprising thing is that this occurred under a negative NAO with well above normal heights over Greenland, this was actually a common theme of the summer with high heights over Greenland causing very warm or hot conditions down here with the slow moving jetstream curving north eastwards over or north of the UK.

Just to clarify a couple of things, I chose this for one I suspect that cold charts will be more prevalent but also that for me hot weather isn't something I have been too used to given a lot of my life has been spent near the coast of East Anglia. This is the hottest weather I have experienced in the UK.

@Summer Sun @alexisj9 @Ed Stone @Surrey @nick sussex @Mucka @mulzy

Edited by Captain Shortwave
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 minute ago, Thunderbolt_ said:

That was a truly fantastic day and one that I will never ever forget. I recorded 34°C that day. The heat and sunshine during daylight hours was one thing, but the overhead supercell thunderstorm with pretty much constant lightning was breathtaking!

I also remember watching the full moon rise that evening, just before the thunderstorm arrived and it had a brilliant orangey-pink hue to it. Never seen a moon like that either!

bit disappointing here, missed all action, just 1 lousy flash, hottest Wimbledon day on record though

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.

Well - in a winter where we may get only very marginal conditions for snow - here is a chart to give all snow hopers a bit of hope. The week beginning 5th February 1996 will stick in my memory forever. Went to bed with a forecast speaking of an occluded front passing over bringing milder air across a chilly south of England, and woke up to a foot of snow, power lines down and no work for a week. Cause? A sudden rise in pressure to the east caused that front to stall, and we had snow in Dorset on and off for the next 3-4 days. The snow ploughs got the roads open eventually - and the snow was packed so high along the sides of the roads of the high ground north of Dorchester that the roads at times were lined with 6ft of snow either side... like a drive up to an alpine resort. It was the most startling moment I can remember, all the more vivid because of the shock that any snow fell at all, let alone in the amounts that came down. The bizarre thing was that it was so localised - 20 miles to the east there was nothing because the front didnt get there.

So at the darkest moments of this tough winter, never lose hope! Here is the rather ordinary looking chart. Note that 850s were scarcely at -5... so all things are possible! :

GFS Archive Image

I nominate anyone else who fancies posting a chart!

Edited by Catacol
  • Like 1

Posted

Hmm, tough choice for me that hasn't been posted, but maybe this one for interest's sake, with the temp change and the associated severe storms.
GFS Archive Image  

20C isotherm from Dorset to Norfolk with a very tight thermal gradient (http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/1968/Rrea00219680702.gif), while the next day had 0C 850's into the SW..

Large hail was reported from places including South Devon (presumably strong elevated storms?) 

My winter version would probably be a certain 31st December 1978 chart though.

@Mapantz @Weather-history @*Sub*Zero* @MP-R @Terminal Moraine @Andy Bown @Ed Stone

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Chosen a chart showing the infamous Boxing Day 1998 storm, probably one of the most severe weather spells I can remember happening over a Christmas period. Some locations recorded gusts towards 110mph but more generally 80-90mph and the odd 100mph. An unforgettable 30 mile drive back home from Carlisle that evening when the storm struck, mum was driving and there was debris all over and trees down and I remember seeing a garden shed blowing across the road... How we got home in one piece I do not know! 

boxing.thumb.png.6e7f3be4ed406a983b34128

@Mapantz @Paul @radiohead @Polar Maritime

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Thanks for the nomination!

I pick these charts from June 5th 1983.
They're significant because of the severe thunderstorms (super cells) that occurred here and many other places along the South coast.

Rrea00219830605.thumb.gif.0b75a09d03d8ebRrea00119830605.thumb.gif.5a335e45cacac8

It is the only time I've seen golf ball sized hail, it caused a lot of damage. All the trees and plants got beaten to pieces, and I remember my pond lilies having huge holes in them. The greenhouse ended up being smashed to smithereens, and my poor brother took a beating too- covered in bruises all over his body.
Funnel clouds and confirmed tornado touch downs also occurred.

Here's a little extract.. 

j.1477-8696.1983.tb04829.x_p1.thumb.png.

@jtay           @fromey           @karlos1983           @Froze were the Days           @IDO           @Spikecollie           @AWD

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

I can't decide between my two main weather passions so I'll use both.

Firstly the epic snowfall of Feb 2009.

archives-2009-2-6-0-0.thumb.png.24d8c6df

The "Bristol Low".  A channel low just sat and spun around the NW Peninsula of France with Bristol remaining on the colder NNW side of it.  850hpa temps showing that marginality can sometimes be the best;

archives-2009-2-6-0-2.thumb.png.1dbcdc71

One of the best snowfalls IMBY during my lifetime.  Roads and businesses gridlocked and impassable in an urban city.  No work, no school, no driving.  I built a snowman in the middle of the A420.  Incredible and memorable.

Thunderstorms are a rarity in Bristol due to the ergonomic surroundings of the city.  23rd of July 2013 produced the best overhead night time storm of recent years;

archives-2013-7-23-0-0.thumb.png.f297555

A plume of heat to the east of the country and a cold front coming down from the WNW saw some epic fork lightning displays across the city with frequent thunderbolts.

Oh what I would give for a storm like that during daylight hours.

I nominate @Karl83 @weather09

@Purga @Dartmoor_Matt @Dorsetbred @BristolBlizzard @bristolstormchaser

• Like 1

Posted

I guess it doesn't have to be "actual chart" but could be a chart from NWP.

If that's case, I nominate any one of the days 7-10 charts from "That ECM" - has anyone got that saved?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Take your pick:

Recm1681.thumb.gif.499d237b38ceed8f33a12Recm1921.thumb.gif.ee35e7e3d546b698ba121Recm2161.thumb.gif.e46c73d0845fe1c29d180Recm2401.thumb.gif.1aacc8166e503c805a693

Edited by Thundery wintry showers