Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The PIT

Windows 10 Bitlocker

Oh dear Microsoft seem to have broken bitlocker with the latest build in Windows 10. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/12/04/windows_10_bitlocker/

Although the symptoms I've seen don't match. Clean install of Windows 10 fully patched bitlocker runs okay but when you reboot the pin you've created doesn't work. First time I thought I typed the pin in wrong so decrypted the volume and did it again same result. I then tried the old method of encryption. Same result. I new update came down yesterday so I tried again today and the same result.

On a surface pro tablet upgrade from windows 8.1 and fully patched the issue was different. It wouldn't let me save the recovery key. Choose another location but you didn't get an option to choose another location. Therefore I couldn't encrypt it well wouldn't not without the key.

That last update seemed to make a surprising number of changes I wasn't keen on.
When I first installed it I selected continue to use existing programs to open files - e.g. VLC for video - but without asking all the choices were switched to the new Microsoft 'apps' and needed manually changing back.