Sign in to follow this  
claret047

Non-League Football- December 2015 onwards

Good Evening Folks,

Since the website has been upgraded we appear to have lost the previous thread on NL football and so i have started a new one with immediate effect.

As fellow posters will know I am a Chelmsford City supporter for my sins and we will be away to Cheltenham Town in the FA Trophy  this Saturday.  We always appear to at almost every opportunity to play the highest positioned team in cup games. Cheltenham are currently top of the league above us, whilst in the FA cup this year we met Ebbsfleet who are top of our league. We beat them in a reply at their ground only to lose away in the following round to lowly Basingstoke. Last year in the FA Cup we played Barnet, drawing at home with them, only to be well beaten by them in a replay. They were top of the Conference National top division at the time.

This year the only consistent thing with us is our inconsistency. Having lost against Basingstoke in the FA cup we visited them again the following week and beat them easily. Three week ago we beat Hayes and Yeading 5-0 away, only to lose at home the following week to Eastbourne who had previously not won in  9 games.

According to the Non League Paper Sutton United have been reinstated into the FA Trophy following our Essex neighbours Concorde Rangers fielding an illegible player in the previous round. Clive what is the latest news on this. Are you now definitely entertaining Lowestoft Town in the next round on Saturday or is it still subject to appeal by Concorde?

Kind Regards

Dave

Thanks Summer Sun,

I should have gone to SpecSavers!:D

In view of the fact I have started a new thread and as the previous one comprised of 23 pages I trust it is in order to retain this new one.

Kind Regards

Dave

Trip to Weston Super Mare tomorrow for Oxford City pending a 9am pitch inspection at the 'Woodspring Stadium'. We desperately need a win sitting 4th now, 4 points seperate 2nd to 8th. Race for play offs in Vanarama National League South are hotting up. 

Hello Mark. 

Good luck tomorrow. Please do us a favour and beat them as my team (Chelmsford City)  are plummeting towards the relegation zone and as per the Tesco advert "Every Little Helps".

Kind Regards

Dave

Our game was called off this morning, just before we were about to leave to head down to W-S-M. 

Just realised there's a couple of Conference South fans in here!

Not the best season so far for the Mighty St Albans City... 

Hello Saint and welcome to the thread.

Make that 4 of us, as High Pressure is a Sutton United fan.

Kind regards

Dave

• Like 1

The Thames Valley derby tomorrow a trip into Berkshire for Maidenhead United vs Oxford City. 

On ‎28‎/‎12‎/‎2015 at 8:30 PM, saint said:

Just realised there's a couple of Conference South fans in here!

Not the best season so far for the Mighty St Albans City... 

Blimmey you are not kidding, I was at Sutton today to see us bag 5 against you, and in truth it could have been a few more. Funny you certainly didn't look the worst side we had played and for a while at the start of the match you were well in it. In front of goal we are getting better whether we can catch Ebbsfleet is another matter but you never know.

Edited by HighPressure

5 minutes ago, HighPressure said:

Blimmey you are not kidding, I was at Sutton today to see us bag 5 against you, and in truth it could have been a few more. Funny you certainly didn't look the worst side we had played and for a while at the start of the match you were well in it. In front of goal we are getting better whether we can catch Ebbsfleet is another matter but you never know.

Have heard the same from another Sutton fan! Despite living up in Yorkshire, this season has been a bit of a shock to be honest! 

Not sure why, but we played our slowest centre-half pairing against one of the best sides in the league today. Think the caretaker management experiment might be chucked away rather quickly. 

Apparently our fans brought a Christmas tree into the ground haha! We did the same at Bromley last season. We're an entertaining lot off the pitch, at least.. ..

Edited by saint

Was hoping for St Albans to get something today. Sutton are in red hot form and with us gone of the boil, i will happily take a Play Off place on current form, 3 weeks without a game now. (Oxford City). 

44 minutes ago, saint said:

Have heard the same from another Sutton fan! Despite living up in Yorkshire, this season has been a bit of a shock to be honest! 

Not sure why, but we played our slowest centre-half pairing against one of the best sides in the league today. Think the caretaker management experiment might be chucked away rather quickly. 

Apparently our fans brought a Christmas tree into the ground haha! We did the same at Bromley last season. We're an entertaining lot off the pitch, at least.. ..

Oh yes that Tree! It will feature in the highlights, I think it will be a first. My understanding is was half inched from the pub across the road and used to conceal alcohol in, still very ingenious . 

Well our terrible form continues. In our last fifteen matches we have won 2 and drawn 3, with the remaining games being defeats. Today was no exception losing 4-1 at Margate. 

Relegation is looming closer as each game passes. 

The fans are not at all happy and as we are in a parlous financial situation it is difficult to see what options are available to us other than to weather the storm.

It is, however, looking increasingly that Ryman Premier is beckoning, such a shame for a club that in the past was one of the top flight non league teams.

Kind Regards

Dave

Today it has been announced that our manager Mark Hawkes has left Chelmsford City by mutual consent. His assistant Steve Smith remains in post to assist our trainer, Kevin Mayer, who has been appointed temporary manager until a permanent appointment is made. Kevin is a former SOUTHEND UNITED playing legend and currently runs their youth set up.

High Pressure- We have a couple of difficult games ahead, Whitehawk at home this Saturday- which I shall miss as it is my grandson's 5th birthday party up in Huntingdon, followed by our next home fixture against Sutton. It will be interesting to see if the players can be motivated, something that has been sorely missed since well before Christmas culminating in last night's quarter final of the Essex Senior cup away at Concord which as a performance left much to be desired.

Will you be visiting Melbourne Park?

Kind Regards

Dave

Hi Dave

News travels fast in the NL world knew about this earlier, in truth no great surprise you have been sinking faster than the Titanic recently. You looked a better side last season on your smaller budget so I do expect an improvement from you.

As for us who knows we got Dartford at home on Saturday, so 2 in form sides go head to head, I would not like to predict the outcome either, it will be tight. Given your present plight we will be looking to get 3pts from you, either as a bounce back or full on confidence. Whitehawk or Brighton City will provide you with a stern test, will Danny Mills score against you?

Hoping to be at Melbourne park, are you guys filming yet?

Hi Dave

I see you won against Whitehawk Saturday, maybe a turn in fortunes for you? I am looking forward to Melbourne park this week. We beat Dartford 2-0 so confidence is high and even talk of catching Ebbsfleet, but thats a long way off. We have just signed Nicky Bailey so he could partner ex Arsenal Craig Eastmond on Saturday in our midfield.

Hello Clive,

Apologies for not responding to your earlier posting, a combination of visiting our grandson for a very noisy 5th birthday party and a couple of hospital visits. At the time I was not certain if I would be able to make our game against Sutton, but a further operation I will be having is now unlikely until after next weekend.

I understand that we will be filming the match as we have earlier games at home this season.

According to reports it was a much improved performance on Saturday boosted by the loan of 2 Southend players who have previously been with us on previous occasions. Courtesy of the Kevin Mayer connection. It was only Whitehawke's second away defeat of the season. At one point we were leading 4-1 and also had missed a penalty, but in the end it was a case of squeaky bum time with us hanging on to secure a 4-3 victory.

How have you got on against Ebbsfleet this campaign? They are on a bot of a wobble at the moment, whilst your team is top of the form table. City over recent seasons has been Ebbsfleet bogey team. We drew at home against them in the FA cup and beat them away to proceed to the next round only to be humiliated at Basingstoke. In the league we have an equally impressive record.

I look forward to meeting up with you on Saturday.

Kind regards

Dave

Hi Dave

Its about time I popped in here, its been a few weeks since we played Chelmo, I must say the less said about the towns road layout the better, its like it was scribbled with a crayon by a 3 year old :)

As for our match, well we went into the game as I said high on confidence and the early goal set us on our way. You had that chance through BB that he blasted over but we then got the 2nd and in truth although you never looked like caving in or a particularly bad side you couldn't really hurt us. Since then we have played on 2 heavy grass pitches and lost 7 players to injury. We went out of the FA Trophy in a replay at Bognor but that's not a bad thing, what was is our players dropping like flies and ending with just 10 players on the pitch through injury.

All perils of the season, we don't have the biggest squad so a 1-1 yesterday against Bath wasn't the end of the world. I don't think we can stay fit enough to catch Ebbsfleet so any playoff place will suit us, although we have never won a single playoff match, we got win one day :)

On Chelmo, you looked to have enough to avoid the drop, there are worse teams, but Billy has to put his chances away.

Edited by HighPressure

Hello Clive,

Sorry I missed you when you visited MP. I did look out for you and met with your chairman in the stand, a very pleasant gentleman. He promised to pass on my best wishes to you and I trust that he did so. 

I have not been around much over the past fortnight, having had surgery at Colchester Hospital which was not successful, followed by bleeding which meant I had a visit to my local A & E (a total waste of nearly 7 hours- I will not bore you with the details) followed by another visit back to Colchester. Now waiting for an MRI and in-patient surgery in the next fortnight or so.

Tomorrow we entertain Margate, following an inactive fortnight as our away games on a Saturday at Hemel and H & W on successive weekends.

Just our luck that when we played you, Sutton were top of the form league and now we play Margate at home with them top of the form league.

Good luck on Saturday.

Kind Regards

Dave

Hello Dave.

I hope you are well on the mend? I think I need treatment after last Saturday at Hemel, a match which has gone viral, the best thing to say is watch this. I have never witnessed this before and I have been watching foot for 40yrs+

The last goal shown here will go out on Sky SoccerAM on Saturday :(

Hello Clive,

Things are fine at the moment thanks. I am now just awaiting an appointment for an operation at Colchester General, which will involve a stay in for a day or two.

City's position looks a lot rosier this morning that it did a week ago with 2 wins back to back (the first since August). We was far the better side against Bishops Stortford last night.

An interesting statistic I was told last night by the match commentator when I visited him in his commentary position. It was only the second time in the Club's history that we have played on the 29th February, the only previous occasion was in the 1970's when we entertained Moor Green in our Southern League days at our fine old New Writtle Street ground. On that occasion we  also won. Last night Solihull Moors were also playing and they are now Moor Green reincarnate. I believe they also won yesterday evening.

I see on the Connie South Message Board that Slabs has joined you on loan from HH until the end of the season. According to one of their fans he was less than impressive in his last appearance form them and gave the appearance of not being "ar*sed" . I think that is a bit unfair as he has never been known to cover every blade of grass during the course of a game, but what he is is a quality striker who will always score a good number of goals each season, Were you currently short of fire power up front hence your new loanee?

Kind Regards

Dave

Hi Dave

Glad you are OK, and the Chelmo position looks right to me, I didn't think you looked relegation candidates when we played you. You don't defend too badly and with BB upfront you will score, I reckon midtable is quite achievable.

Slabs will play a supporting role to our main strikers so they can be rested, we learnt that you have to go into playoffs with a full strength squad. We will probably know if the title is still within our reach next week, Ebbs play twice us just the once in the next 7 days.

Very quiet in here, so whats happening at Chelmo, just a few weeks ago you looked safe in mid table, now just 2pts above the drop zone? Whats more is I need you turn that around on Monday against Maidstone. I am not even going to talk about my team in case I break something.

Nearly 5 months since we lost a match, no goals conceded in March at all, and just off the back of 3 straight away wins in a week including ending Truro's unbeaten home record.