Do you believe in God?

One thing I've always wondered is how come if there is a God that is omnibenevolent, why is there pain, hatred and suffering in the world. That is one of the reasons why I think that God doesn't exist.

Why would a 'god' have to be good ?

• Replies 663
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No. And even if a God does exist, he/she's a nasty, vindictive, spiteful piece of work.

Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic insomniac? He stayed awake all night wondering if there is a dog.

My first foray (forage?) into this thread.   Simple question, simple answer - No I don't believe in a God, Godess, gods or godesses, neither do I believe in the tooth færie, Santa Clause or the Eas

Posted Images

lassie aparently has a beard ...:0..

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Had to shave it off, kept giving away my identity. Oh and you're all going to burn in hell by the way. :diablo:  Amen.........who said I was vindictive. :whistling:

• Like 2

I believe in the forces of physics, the bonds of chemistry, and the cells of biology. Less than two months ago, I buried my best friend of fifteen years (my border collie dog). He died in our garden here in France. My husband asked me (I've spoken about this on here before) when Spike was laid on the lawn where he died, where he was,, and I pointed to his head. He was his brain. Where is he now, he asked, I pointed to our heads, he is in our memories. Where is his body now? Giving life to the land around which we buried him. I haven't said this before now, but my husband could not bring himself to put the earth on Spike's face, so I covered his head with bracken leaves, and we filled in his burial place. I have seen many dead human bodies (working in a hospital), and both of my parents. There is no God, that's my belief, just us, and we need to live for the now...non-human animals are best at this!

• Like 3

No but their is always the chance r universe was created by a alien race.....Where time goes much slower in their universe...

Where r universe is just like a reality tv show   :closedeyes:

And maybe the aliens are watching us all, kinda like big brother but on an epic scale... And the aliens are controlling our world a bit like the hunger games. 

Edited by *Sub*Zero*

I do belive in god but dont think he/she is one person. I belive the universe itself is god and everything in it as being part of god. We have the power to create life and to destroy it. Everything in nature is part of god,the stars,planets,moons etc etc. Perhaps the universe has some kind of consciousness that is totally beyond our understanding. Perhaps we are all connected in more ways then we know along with everything in the universe,god is all around us. Thats my thinking on it.

• Like 3

I'm not a religious person but, I do believe in God or a creator. How was life created.. How/why was the first molecules created.. How/why are we floating in space.. How was this perfect atmosphere created that is able to sustain life?

I'm not a religious person but, I do believe in God or a creator. How was life created.. How/why was the first molecules created.. How/why are we floating in space.. How was this perfect atmosphere created that is able to sustain life?

Well we doing our best to bugger that up.

Edited by knocker

I find 'creation', as an idea, a tad superfluous. Substitute 'evolution' for 'creation' and there's no need, not even any philosophical need, for any magical creator-being?

Is itattachicon.gifimage.jpg ....or ....attachicon.gifimage.jpg it's up to you ...

So God really is an Englishman?

Edited by Ed Stone
  • Like 4

I find 'creation', as an idea, a tad superfluous. Substitute 'evolution' for 'creation' and there's no need, not even any philosophical need, for any magical creator-being?

Quite right Pete. My first thought when I saw the title of the thread, was, "Oh god no not again".

• Like 2

of course Ed ,anything else would not be cricket .....
  • Like 1

The perfect atmosphere question is easy to answer. Though the first molecules being created is interesting. Thermodynamics dictates energy cannot created from nothing. How did we get our first molecule.

• Like 2

God is a construct to give people false hope and meaning in their lives. Its intended to keep people in check and as an excuse to wage war.

Sadly whats now replacing God in more developed countries is less humanity, rampant consumerism. Consumerism and rampant capitalism now the vessel in which to bring meaning to people.

The search for ultimate meaning is of course natural but I'm not sure people are looking for this in the right place. When you have everything and its still not enough where do you go from there.

• Like 4

righty o peeps, we've had a laugh and a joke, and one-liners galore...best we all make some some substantive posts, this is after all, the serious discussion....

I'm a scientific bod....I studied physics and have a keen interest in cosmology, especially theoretical physics beyond the Standard Model, yet I do believe in some higher entity, many magnitudes more advanced and intelligent than us. It's my belief that these two contrasting ideas actually tie up rather well in the grand scheme of things.....god-like beings having reached Level III on the Kardashev Scale (which measures how advanced a civilization is) with the powers to manipulate multiple dimensions and time.....they'd certainly appear god-like to us

Edited by ajpoolshark
  • Like 1

righty o peeps, we've had a laugh and a joke, and one-liners galore...best we all make some some substantive posts, this is after all, the serious discussion....

I'm a scientific bod....I studied physics and have a keen interest in cosmology, especially theoretical physics beyond the Standard Model, yet I do believe in some higher entity, many magnitudes more advanced and intelligent than us. It's my belief that these two contrasting ideas actually tie up rather well in the grand scheme of things.....god-like beings having reached Level III on the Kardashev Scale (which measures how advanced a civilization is) with the powers to manipulate multiple dimensions and time.....they'd certainly appear god-like to us

level ll or l would be gods in our sence of the word ..

Like two people bop into one another and later there is life I guess? bits in space bopped into one another and eventually badda bing! life stuff popped out.

Is itattachicon.gifimage.jpg ....or ....attachicon.gifimage.jpg it's up to you ...

with the soup idea.

Why would a "God" be a horrible creature that inflicts pain and suffering on the living organisms that it "makes"?

"God" doesn't inflict pain and suffering, humans do this.

Every living organism instinct is to survive and to multiply, parasites, bacteria etc. They don't inflict illnesses and diseases maliciously, they are the consequences of the organisms instinct to survive and multiply.

• Like 2