Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Atlantic Storm #4 Desmond

Summer Sun

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
4 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

@bbcweather

RED rain warning will soon be issued by Met Office for #Cumbria. #flooding #StormDesmond Darren

Yes Liam has just pointed it out above that Phil Avery had mentioned it on the BBC..

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Yep, it was mentioned on the BBC forecast before 11, he also said amber wind warnings for some.... Serious situation unfolding. 

• Like 1

Posted

As much as I think the Meto do a fantastic job, I do wish they'd improve the graphics on their warning maps. When's there's many warnings out such as for today, they sometimes overlap and at first glance it can be hard to work out what warning is for where. 

Posted

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Red warning out

Issued at: 1111 on Sat 5 Dec 2015

Valid from: 1115 on Sat 5 Dec 2015

Valid to: 0600 on Sun 6 Dec 2015

Heavy and persistent rain currently affecting the warning area is expected to become heavier during Saturday afternoon before clearing southwards during the early hours of Sunday. In view of flooding and further disruption to transport being expected take action to remain safe and protect property.

Chief Forecaster's assessment

A slow-moving frontal system is bringing a prolonged spell of heavy rain and strong winds. Further rainfall totals in excess of 150 to 200 mm are expected locally over some prone mountainous areas. Given saturated conditions and high river levels from recent rainfall, further flooding is expected.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings®ionName=nw&fcTime=1449273600

Posted

Warning now at red. Stay safe people and don't venture out if you don't need to. Down here, dry. overcast, blowy (though a bit of a lull at the moment). Mean wind speed 24mph, gusts in low 40s

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Just thought I'd post the images regarding above ^

Screenshot_2015-12-05-11-20-55.thumb.jpgScreenshot_2015-12-05-11-24-38.thumb.jpg

Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, Slysi100 said:

As much as I think the Meto do a fantastic job, I do wish they'd improve the graphics on their warning maps. When's there's many warnings out such as for today, they sometimes overlap and at first glance it can be hard to work out what warning is for where. 

Yes, I agree. There are several yellow warning inplace for rain, but it's difficult to see which one is which

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I've asked this in one of the statuses, but can anyone remember a red warning being issued for rain before? I can't recall one. Some pretty extreme totals up there, severe flooding likely.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Winds now picking up peak gust less than last Sunday but the real windy spell last weekend was confined to a 20 30 minute spell. This is more more prolonged with a higher average wind speed. I expect the 60 mph to be hit sometime this afternoon though.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Nick L said:

I've asked this in one of the statuses, but can anyone remember a red warning being issued for rain before? I can't recall one. Some pretty extreme totals up there, severe flooding likely.

I think so and from my memory it was November 2009 I think? Back then I'm sure it was called an extreme weather warning, might be wrong?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
3 minutes ago, Nick L said:

There's been a few in Scotland and one for Devon/Cornwall. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-18748140

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

Newcastle Christmas Market shut down,  river Eden broken it's banks, Appleby flooded, Windermere and Bowness both suffering flooding...

And the worst is yet to arrive.

Posted
14 minutes ago, Nick L said:

I remember November 2009 had one for Cumbria too.

The 7th July 2012 had one down here (in typical fashion that was the week where I was in Holland..). Edit: See Mapantz beat me to it.

Edited by Evening thunder

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
5 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

There's been a few in Scotland and one for Devon/Cornwall. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-18748140

Thanks for that!

Posted

Close to 60 mph 58 just been recorded.

Posted

The video is between Ambleside and Clappersgate bridge Cumbria 

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 7

Posted

13 severe flood warnings now in force - https://flood-warning-information.service.gov.uk/warnings

Posted

From Swaledale Mountain rescue.

We've had a large delivery of rain overnight with trees down & roads flooded, both in Swaledale & Wensleydale. If you really need to travel take care & don't be afraid to turn back, if it looks deep it probably is! River levels are now starting to reach highest recorded levels in some areas.

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

People in the village of Corbridge have been told to leave their homes because the River Tyne's burst its banks.

Posted

Now up to F7

Posted

Well it's still raining but wind isn't as bad as last night. Think I may have to venture out soon to unblock some drains, seems there's a river flowing down my drive...