Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Atlantic Storm #4 Desmond

Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)
7 hours ago, loopydreamer said:

How's the wind and rain up where you are at the moment Sub Zero?

Been raining all night and the winds have increased this morning with close to 60mph in gusts, meant to increase further this afternoon so we'll see. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Not bad here right now gusts mostly in the 40's some round midnight to 57 mph winds average 21mph

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

A very windy night with gust touching 67mph, Avg wind speed now 24mph W/S/W. Rain 13mm with a temp of 11c.

Posted

Wind is of course an issue but total rainfall may well be the major problem. Already over 100mm has fallen in some parts of the NW so risk of flooding in some areas must be very high. Fingers crossed.

Posted

A conveyor belt of rain with no let up in sight!

rain12.thumb.PNG.9fd65e11f94a29bdd90f59c

Posted

Wild morning here. Gusting over 60mph. The River Swale has burst its banks at Grinton and my rain gauge is broken

Posted

I hope for the people of Cockermouth this doesn't come off.... Potentially very serious situation indeed. 

cocker.thumb.PNG.2fb1f55701018cf45356b88

Posted
40 minutes ago, Thunder Snow said:

BBC say the might up warning to red

Phil Avery on BBC Breakfast just said over the last hour the concern has raised for Cumbria with a possible significant flooding event, 100mm fallen in places already and possibly another 100mm + to fall... My Mums shop in Cockermouth has been warned by the EA about the flood potential, we can only hope! 

Latest rainfall prediction to 00z Sunday.

ac17.thumb.png.ac980464dc1485d327a678e7b

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

My sisters near Windermere for the weekend, lots of roads flooding apparently. One car stuck up to the bonnet in water.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, high winds, thunder, snow
11 hours ago, loopydreamer said:

Yeah... starting to pick up here also. .... ive just noticed it gusty outside the last ten minutes. You think we could reach a 50 mph gust down south Adam?

Morning, well I reckon I've just had a 50mph gust the wind is seriously going some here now and I'm very surprised that the Met Office haven't issued an official warning for the south yet, especially considering it isn't supposed to peak until later on this afternoon when I'm supposed to be heading into London. I'm becoming increasingly apprehensive!

If it's this bad here I dread to think what it's like further north, just imagine what it's like near Iceland where the centre of this storm is. Gives you an idea of how much of a beast Desmond is, I reckon gusts must be well over 100mph around the storm centre.

Posted
11 hours ago, *Sub*Zero* said:

Probably around 40mph maybe a bit higher in places most likely north of London, 60-70mph+ possible further north & west for parts of Ireland, N Wales & N England.

nm136.thumb.png.d9c9ff3ebd1718d7e372734c

Urm.... you might want to rethink that, we've just had a gust nudging 50 I swear by it. Our house shook!  :shok::help:

Posted
2 minutes ago, AdamStorm7891 said:

Urm.... you might want to rethink that, we've just had a gust nudging 50 I swear by it. Our house shook!  :shok::help:

Well I can only go by what the charts show and XC Weather showing gusts in the SE around 30-40mph, so nothing really of note hence no warnings. The general criteria for the Met wind warnings is a risk of winds approaching 70mph although this can be flexed at their discretion to include lower velocity wind speeds around 50mph+ depending on likely impacts over a wider area.  

• Like 1

Posted

Currently dry in Redcar whilst around 30 miles to our west it's wet. The wind is noteworthy though, I can hear it hitting the front of the house and has more deeper sound than last night which suggests it's much stronger. I feel the people in Cumbria at the moment, got a feeling it's going to get much worse there :-( 

Posted
8 minutes ago, *Sub*Zero* said:

Well I can only go by what the charts show and XC Weather showing gusts in the SE around 30-40mph, so nothing really of note hence no warnings. The general criteria for the Met wind warnings is a risk of winds approaching 70mph although this can be flexed at their discretion to include lower velocity wind speeds around 50mph+ depending on likely impacts over a wider area.  

It's definitely well over 30-40mph with the strongest gusts, more like 45-50mph. Usually with strong winds being rarer around the London area then other parts of the country and because they can potentially cause more impacts because of the dense population they issue warnings for lower wind speeds then elsewhere usually 40-50mph upwards from previous experience so considering it's already about that out there and might get a little bit worse later on this is why I'm a tad surprised.

Posted

Met Office about to issue a red warning and more amber warnings according to Phil Avery on BBC weather just now. 

Edited by *Sub*Zero*