Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Atlantic Storm #4 Desmond

Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

The RNLI flood rescue team have been deployed to Cumbria to help with emergency response...  Rain continues to fall. 

• Like 1

Posted

Wind starting to ramp up again in a flooded Swaledale @58mph. Main road through the dale still underwater in a few places. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

Thoughts out to people in cumbria this evening and any flooded places currently experiencing this. We have a flooded garden but nothing like the pictures ive seen of cumbria.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

current1_zpsk3yzbu0u.jpg

looking at this, the left (west) end of the Kent bridge in Kendal is going too.

• Like 1

Posted

Wordsworth House surrounded by water.

flood29.thumb.PNG.9b76abcf6d4074594ab390

And still the rain falls and more to come looking at radar, another pulse of rain heading NE over Ireland atm. 

radar6.thumb.PNG.e2e708d3ae03f6d845c3789

• Like 1

Posted

Few pics from Carlisle.

flood30.thumb.PNG.40fb1abd4a716ec8892cf2flood31.thumb.PNG.fed19316b6163e4684bdf7

Edited by *Sub*Zero*
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

I rarely post on Netweather as I'm much more of a lurker/reader, but my thoughts are with everyone in the northwest experiencing horrendous weather today. I hope everyone stays inside and stays safe. The winds we have down here simply don't compare to the reports from the north. I keep trying to think of ways to help but perhaps a post-storm thread for people needing assistance/help with clear-up would be an idea? Or maybe there is one already. I'm all for exciting weather but I hope everyone comes out of this unscathed, particularly the elderly and the farming communities.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

The River Tyne 10 miles west of the city has broken it's previous record for river height.  Storm damage to some buildings in Newcastle due to the winds and some reports that the River Wear has burst it's banks in Durham city centre according to Chronicle. 

Also reports of a house end collapse in North Tyneside - some serious weather about this evening albeit not as bad as Cumbria.  Some shocking pictures coming out of there tonight - thoughts are with all affected, I can't imagine what it must be like to have a river flowing through your house.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/ 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Yikes, just let my dog out for a quick wee. I heard him crying so I went outside quickly and there was an almighty gust of wind that had blown my bicycle down the path and trapped him.. poor little thing. He's okay though, just shaken up. Probably the strongest wind gust so far today though.

• Like 3

Posted

Just heard Cumbria's chief superintendent on the radio advising that nobody should travel on any roads in Cumbria at the moment, the M6 is OK but badly affected by cross winds with speed restrictions. 

1 minute ago, Vorticity0123 said:

Word of the flooding and severe wind damage in Cumbria has also reached the Netherlands, some serious flooding indeed. My thoughts go out to the ones affected there.

From a meteorological perspective, it is really a situation of bad luck, as the upper-level flow is directly aligned with the position of the frontal system. This means that the frontal system does not move at all, and just stays trapped over the UK. As a result, the rain stays on the same place for a very long period of time, as envisaged by the chart below:

PL0600_large.thumb.gif.da09aa3ef89608c92

KNMI forecast of frontal systems and significant pressure areas as of 00 UTC 06-12-2015. Source: KNMI

As shown by the map by Nick F above, the frontal zone is directly associated with a band of high moisture values, coming all the way from Florida and the Caribbean. Such atmospheric rivers, as they are named, are often notorious for being real rainmakers.

Another reason for the high amount of rain in Cumbria is the orography of that part of England. Over and to the immediate east of Cumbria, there is a mountain range. This mountain range lifts the air flowing in from the west, greatly enhancing precipitation amounts. On the other side of the mountain, i(to the east) it is relatively dry as a result of descending motions behind the mountains.

A5663558da72bc_Heightmap_EDIT.thumb.png.e

Topography map of the UK. Source: Wikipedia.

Finally, this rain pattern is also well visible on radar imagery, with the west being wet and the east being dry.

Regen.thumb.png.cc4fe2f4f976ea4e67489a26

Radar image of the UK as of 21:00 UTC. Source: Buienradar.

This rainy pattern has been persistent over the past 24 hours or so, which can be nicely seen on the following radar loop: http://europa.buienradar.nl/24-uur.

It seems that this pattern will persist for the night, whereafter the rain will move southeastward out of Cumbria. So there could still be quite some rainfall for the next few hours. Let's hope damage will be limited as much as possible.

Lol we have a name for it trailing front ,or aquatic hell which ever you prefer :D