Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Anemometer to brave the western isles

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Loving the vaiety

Good morning folks,

Any recommendations for a very robust anemometer (likely a whole new station therefore) that can survive the wind in the outer hebrides.

I had finally calibrated my tfa nexus anemometer only to arrive home yesterday and find it upside down as the arm on which the direction vane and cups sit was rotated 180 degrees loose.  In total it survived 4 weeks in what was rather ordinary if not intense winds for this part of the world, so Im looking to see if folk have any recommendations of equipment that can cope with sustained winds of 50mph+ gusting over 100mph.

Cheerie.

Craig.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Yes Davis is the way forward with excellent ridgid built quality. My location is pretty isolated and very open to wind & rain and copes no problem 

• Like 1

Posted

Yes I have heard of the odd (perhaps anomalous) failure but the design has changed since then and I think Davis anemometers are generally pretty good. They are supposedly able to withstand winds up to/over 200mph!

If a Davis station is too expensive I have heard the Inspeed Vortex anemometer is good, with very frequent updates. Though this comes by itself and doesn't record direction (they may have other products that do though).

Edited by Evening thunder
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.
4 hours ago, Evening thunder said:

Yes I have heard of the odd (perhaps anomalous) failure but the design has changed since then and I think Davis anemometers are generally pretty good. They are supposedly able to withstand winds up to/over 200mph!

If a Davis station is too expensive I have heard the Inspeed Vortex anemometer is good, with very frequent updates. Though this comes by itself and doesn't record direction (they may have other products that do though).

I have to agree with you there, why didn't I think of getting the Inspeed Vortex!?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Loving the vaiety

cheers for the replies folks, i think, as most people do at some point, tend to err towards the davis kit but have always been put off by the price but maybe it can go on the new year pressie list :)

• 10 months later...
Posted

Late to this, but you could try an inspeed vortex with an electrical sensor from Yoctopuce - depends if you are technically minded with computers and stuff, there's a lot of info and software / scripting help on the Yoctopuce website.

i had high hopes for the Peet Bros Pro annemoter, but while in theory that each bit of it is replaceable the spindle on which the vane sits is a weak point and >80mph if it's getting harsh gusts or rapid direction changes it will break, vane hits the deck and cups take off and vanish!