Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - 1st December onwards

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

gfs a lot closer to the ecm now by 7th re: cold. As Steve has alluded to above the block is putting up more of a fight as things move closer (but hasn't this happened many times in the past?). This isn't over by a long stretch...

ECH0-168.GIF.thumb.png.c0379f6e8451d31d1gfsnh-1-162.thumb.png.50d50d518c4cd72a44

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but boringly hot
2 minutes ago, Polar Climate said:

gfs a lot closer to the ecm now by 7th re: cold. As Steve has alluded to above the block is putting up more of a fight as things move closer (but hasn't this happened many times in the past?). This isn't over by a long stretch...

ECH0-168.GIF.thumb.png.c0379f6e8451d31d1gfsnh-1-162.thumb.png.50d50d518c4cd72a44

As long as the Azores high remains on it's holidays and replaced by decent low heights, the potential to flip always remains imo from previous winter experiences.

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Polar Climate said:

Yes a bit of a nightmare forecast for the UKMO. Its noticeable that theres a trend in the models which are are now moving towards a bit more upstream amplitude which could pull things further west. The response if that continues will be to pull the Azores high further west amplify this a bit more and with it shortwave energy and the snow/rain boundary. I wonder whether we're seeing a last gasp response to the MJO.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

As said yesterday evening, this next 72-96 hours will be very interesting. Note what I said about that low approaching from the SW. Some models are already showing this now as a channel low heading ESE. Note how much closer the cold is too. Watch this space.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

h850t850eu.png

What Big Steve is on about......and as Darren Bett has just mentioned upcoming rain amounts are going nowhere as wet as recently it might be that this not a pointless period to highlight? :oops:

NAVGEM

navgem-0-156.png?30-18

nice

gfs-0-276.png?18

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
5 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Yes a bit of a nightmare forecast for the UKMO. Its noticeable that theres a trend in the models which are are now moving towards a bit more upstream amplitude which could pull things further west. The response if that continues will be to pull the Azores high further west amplify this a bit more and with it shortwave energy and the snow/rain boundary. I wonder whether we're seeing a last gasp response to the MJO.

Last one from me tonight, but it will be interesting to see if this trend continues into the mornings runs, fingers crossed!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather Patterns

Its like sitting on the runway at the the end of a great holiday, willing the plane to take off even though it's packed to the rafters full of people, booze fags and duty free. If we all wish hard enough it will happen.

Navgem 12z

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/navgeme_cartes.php

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold with frost & snow in winter; hot and dry in summer

As Nick alluded to earlier signs of Azores high dragged west and trying to link north up towards Greenland. Not sure that it will make it but signs at last of the atlantic becoming less active. I remain optimistic that we will eventually see a much colder pattern develop as we move into the second full week of January. Those of us that love cold and snow certainly deserve a break having endured the last two winters and the first month of this one !

GFS - 09.01. 18Z h500slp.png

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms

So on the GFS 18z run, into the disance at 372hrs we see much of Europe under high pressure, highest just a little north of the UK, we see an advection of warmer air, west of the UK, allowing easterly winds through from Northern Europe/Russia. I could see this setup being quite persistent, anyone have an ideas, I am no expert.

h500slp.png

h850t850eu.png

• Like 2

Posted
25 minutes ago, PerfectStorm said:

He also said the rain wasn't going to be as wet, to which me and mum both looked at each other went, "huh?" :rofl:

Dry rain is very hard to predict, it does, at times have the tendency to drift:oops::cold-emoji:

Edited by DAVID SNOW
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France
  • Weather Preferences: Continental type climate with lots of sunshine with occasional storm
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France
2 minutes ago, abbie123456 said:

Long way out on gfs nice easterly with  heavy snow pushing in to south east of England could be a trend 

image.png

Thames streamer?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
11 minutes ago, abbie123456 said:

Long way out on gfs nice easterly with  heavy snow pushing in to south east of England could be a trend 

image.png

Think the 12z EPS have a rogue member from the 9th bringing something that cold too ... but joking aside, good to see there are plenty of colder options than the 12z deterministic for London, so it is by no means without support.

image.thumb.gif.26fab7ee6bbfb5cfa29784e2

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

GFS 18z ensembles correct things somewhat West out to 144 so the best set for some time though still a way to go to get the snow line further S and W.

If GFS 00z improves again there could be some quite snowy runs Midlands Northward, at least until the Atlantic breaks through.

18z ensembles for NE England from last night compared to tonight (short) shows the sort of corrections in graph form Steve alluded upon earlier (potential for day 5+ cold)

Diagramme GEFSDiagramme GEFS

check the mean for between 5th and 7th has dropped betweeen 1C and 3c which is quite a lot for a mean over 24h

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

From being away for a few days,nowt ever changes in here,pick your toys back up and deal with it,we are all a friendly TEAM on here and after all,most of us are in the uk,yes,we are a small blip on the globe but look at the broader picture( n.hemisphere) to look for trends,and i for one see a trend(not garenteed)to colder weather heading this way:)

good to be back:yahoo:

now,seems nick is talking about the navgem,i like to post this

18z navgem

navgem-0-138.thumb.png.42322b62a2a3d196b

that is pretty good from what the 12z was showing

navgem-0-144.thumb.png.38ce3202d009f2a46

by heck,that break did some good.

• Like 4

Posted

barely had a mention but i suppose we've stopped believing in santa now. last frames of the GFS-

Scandi high

Easterly

Snow!

gfs-0-384.png

gfs-1-384.png

uksnowrisk.png

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
3 minutes ago, bobbydog said:

barely had a mention but i suppose we've stopped believing in santa now. last frames of the GFS-

Scandi high

Easterly

Snow!

gfs-0-384.png

gfs-1-384.png

uksnowrisk.png

Here we go again,phantom of the opera easterly,oh!,mid Jan,that's got to be right:clapping:

good to see though bobbydog,will this be the one,the countdown starts here and i am going to save that chart.:D

• Like 3

Posted
7 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

From being away for a few days,nowt ever changes in here,pick your toys back up and deal with it,we are all a friendly TEAM on here and after all,most of us are in the uk,yes,we are a small blip on the globe but look at the broader picture( n.hemisphere) to look for trends,and i for one see a trend(not garenteed)to colder weather heading this way:)

good to be back:yahoo:

now,seems nick is talking about the navgem,i like to post this

18z navgem

navgem-0-138.thumb.png.42322b62a2a3d196b

that is pretty good from what the 12z was showing

navgem-0-144.thumb.png.38ce3202d009f2a46

by heck,that break did some good.

I'm shocked I would have thought the NAVGEM would have backtracked by now. Normally it picks out a lone solution gets its moment in the sun then goes back into the shadows quickly! The NAVGEM got quite an airing earlier today as I wheeled it out after some rather underwhelming outputs. I still think its an outlier solution and its reputation isn't the best but its nice to look at while it lasts.

I think we might get a bit more amplification upstream to edge things a bit further west but not sure we'll quite get to the NAVGEM solution.

Probably best to moderate expectations and if things upgrade then great.

• Like 1