Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - 1st December onwards

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather Patterns

Frosty, that Scandi ridge does look pretty unmoveable though on the UKMO T144 charts.

UW144-21.gif

Edited by Carlrg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional
11 minutes ago, Snowmut said:

Winters coming !!!

Image result for jon snow

ECM0-216.GIF?27-12  Yipeeeeeeeee !!!!!:santa-emoji:

According to those charts it's still at least nine days away, nice to peer over but... That is not to say, something better isn't on its way, these charts are increasingly showing up in mid-range timeframes which can only be good. At least Eastern Europe has something to savour too, last snow they had was in October I believe, so its not just in the Uk who are snow-starved. Average to colder than normal Temperatures would be a good start, which is precisely what those charts show. 

• Like 1

Posted

Things do look like changing, but having just read the latest METO I would suggest the charts are wrong....I wonder if we'll see the Scandy high being modelled much further East over the next few runs....either that or the wording of the METOs forecast may start changing!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters
1 minute ago, Ali1977 said:

Things do look like changing, but having just read the latest METO I would suggest the charts are wrong....I wonder if we'll see the Scandy high being modelled much further East over the next few runs....either that or the wording of the METOs forecast may start changing!!

It's difficult to predict, if I was going to give a forecast I would also go with the no slider version.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Agreeing with the above..Let's please leave the METO extended text forecast for the relevant threads please, Thanks.

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

EPS control looking very unsettled for the UK & NW Europe post T240 out to T360 (end of the run) which would bring a continued risk of flooding and gales at times. It wouldn't be as mild as recent weeks though with blasts of PM air.

Edited by *Sub*Zero*
  • Like 2

Posted
14 minutes ago, gottolovethisweather said:

According to those charts it's still at least nine days away, nice to peer over but... That is not to say, something better isn't on its way, these charts are increasingly showing up in mid-range timeframes which can only be good. At least Eastern Europe has something to savour too, last snow they had was in October I believe, so its not just in the Uk who are snow-starved. Average to colder than normal Temperatures would be a good start, which is precisely what those charts show. 

Dont bothe reading it frosty, its depressing.

im still believing though, the battle between east and west is just beginning, the undercut is gathering momentum on the 00z runs so lets give the metoffice dudes another day or two before they begin to change their tune...

Posted
1 hour ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

Hi Nick, as mentioned above, IDO on the previous page of this thread mentioned the MJO entering the COD post-D7.  Any sign of that (obviously not in the CFS ouput you posted, but elsewhere)?

Probably best to see the main models on the same chart as it does explain the original comment about returning close to neutral. The four ensemble members from the CFS are in sync with the more amplified signal from the GEFS - it may be correct but it is usually much more generic than what actually takes place.

NBnnXqP.gif

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional
12 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Dont bothe reading it frosty, its depressing.

im still believing though, the battle between east and west is just beginning, the undercut is gathering momentum on the 00z runs so lets give the metoffice dudes another day or two before they begin to change their tune...

I'm not frosty although I'm hoping it'll turn frosty some day soon. :D

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather...heavy snow and heat waves
36 minutes ago, Carlrg said:

Frosty, that Scandi ridge does look pretty unmoveable though on the UKMO T144 charts.

UW144-21.gif

I know, what's wrong with frosty? He'd usually be all over this

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters
1 minute ago, John Badrick said:

The fact that the north of England is experiencing the worst floods in decades and that chart just adds more.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
2 minutes ago, John Badrick said:

I'm fine, just waiting and hoping the experts see growing support for a pattern change in the days ahead...fingers crossed.:santa-emoji:

• Like 8

Posted

Changing times perhaps... lots of change shown in the model outputs compared to what we have endured for the last 2 months.

Key factors - warm advection into scandi in recent days is continuing in the short term enabling heights to build strongly further east over western Russia - stalling frontal activity from the atlantic edging it NW at first and then crucially SE, with the jet forced more NW-SE alignment - (this latter change has been consistent in all models in recent days) - final outcome very good chance of trough disruption with heights locked in place to the NE.

Lets see how things develop over the coming 2 or 3 days. The start of 2016 could see a battleground of sorts develop.

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
7 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

I'm fine, just waiting and hoping the experts see growing support for a pattern change in the days ahead...fingers crossed.:santa-emoji:

Yep Frosty agree...any experienced/veteran of watching models knows that 9/10 days away on modelling continental (easterly) weather to this country in winter is frought with twists and turns. Overall the trend is there and far better model watching than anything we've seen over the pathetic last 2 months! fingers crossed too...

Edited by Froze were the Days
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

The picture is coming into focus now.

The initial long shot Easterly we were chasing via our Scandi high is seemingly off the cards with the high being forced too far NE (not enough trough disruption and energy going under the block) - that is being modeled across all output.

However we are now looking to a second bite of the cherry via a trigger low which I discussed both last night and this morning. The track of this low is absolutely key.

This will be the first opportunity (there could possibly be another chance depending on strength and orientation of the block but really it is this low that we need to help us out. ECM has brought this low further South moving it more toward today's GFS ,while GFS itself had this low diving South West of Europe yesterday but has now corrected that and is currently being programmed to come up against the block just SW of UK which is ideal to get some disruption and undercut.

UN144-21.GIFECH1-144.GIF?27-12gfsnh-0-138.png

This afternoon we can follow the track of this low across the Atlantic from Dec 31st.The other big piece of the jigsaw is obviously all about the positioning and orientation of our block when this low comes to meet it.

Good to see ECM ensembles go a little cooler this morning but whether we get cold sooner or later or not at all I truly hope we can get something drier given the dire situation in parts of Northern England. The signs are that blocking will become more likely as we move through January - fingers crossed.

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 6