Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - 1st December onwards

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather Patterns

Is that HP in the Med the fly in the ointment.

gfs-0-174.thumb.png.cafa8bc0b0c754aa2387

Posted

The op 18z looks more akin to the parallel 12z.  certainly a stronger possibility than the 06z and 12z gfs ops though even this seems beyond feasible judging by the de bilt extended ens

Posted
31 minutes ago, knocker said:

Today's temp anomaly chart shows the extent of the remarkable heat in eastern N. America.

Anom.thumb.png.bd85b57d859a54d5db6ae425f

Above average that's for sure.

"Remarkable heat" Now your just being silly!:cold-emoji:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
1 minute ago, bluearmy said:

The op 18z looks more akin to the parallel 12z.  certainly a stronger possibility than the 06z and 12z gfs ops though even this seems beyond feasible judging by the de bilt extended ens

You have to be somewhat dubious of the ECM ext and the EC32 though.....don't you? If you showed me in isolation and out of context, a synoptic of that period of WAA and the height rises to our E and NE (as is shown by the NWP), I'd bet a good sum of money on a cold spell soon after. I cannot feasibly see a way in which one can be avoided should the predicted set up materialise. This is the UK though I suppose!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms

Quick question please. How do I stop the notifications from popping up on my screen every minute? I went to notification settings and unticked everything and it hasn't worked. It is driving me crazy.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.
7 minutes ago, DAVID SNOW said:

Above average that's for sure.

"Remarkable heat" Now your just being silly!:cold-emoji:

I don't know, some of the temperatures in the Eastern parts of the US would make for a decent summers day here. 

As for the pub run

gfsnh-0-192.png?18

It wouldn't take much to see conditions go cold, likewise it wouldn't take much for us to end up with more south westerlies and insane mild weather. How far west can the cold air get is the question. In this run it only reaches Poland with parts of Germany and Denmark around 15-20C milder in terms of 850s on this run compared to the 12z. There is however a second pulse of cold air on this run which will potentially bring even colder conditions to Russia and Eastern Europe in week 2.

gfsnh-1-216.png?18

The Siberian express is on its way westwards on this run.

Edited by Captain Shortwave
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather...heavy snow and heat waves
1 minute ago, Snowman31 said:

Quick question please. How do I stop the notifications from popping up on my screen every minute? I went to notification settings and unticked everything and it hasn't worked. It is driving me crazy.

I quite like this new feature, not so much when I realise it's a reply from knocker though, sorry Knocks merry Christmas 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

Looking so much better for Europe, we just need to be patient but I would definitely bank this at 222hrs

gfsnh-0-222.png?18

Posted
1 minute ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Look at the 18z BA and CC, this could be a stonker!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes I think we may be poised at 228 hrs. Sub -20 850s casually marching westwards...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: mediterranean summer
2 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Yes I think we may be poised at 228 hrs. Sub -20 850s casually marching westwards...

big race on west vs east with the west winning out on this run i think moscow could well see -20c for the first time in 3 years 

gfs-1-240.png?18?18

Posted

Extremely cold uppers tantalisingly close at 240.  All for fun but dare I say a firming trend starting to appear?

gfsnh-1-240.png?18

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

If we could get a good cold spell in first half of January it would be quite a turn around when you consider the MetO have been so bullish about no cold they have felt it worthy of a mention in their 30 day forecast.

Posted
1 minute ago, Ice Day said:

Extremely cold uppers tantalisingly close at 240.  All for fun but dare I say a firming trend starting to appear?

gfsnh-1-240.png?18

That is what you get when you repeatedly pump WAA for days on end into the Arctic and is why I can't understand the EC32 logic. OK, the UK might not go cold but I think Europe (especially E Europe) has the potential to be put into the freezer. The entire Arctic profile looks to be disrupted over the next week.

• Like 6

Posted

264 is the chart of the winter, make no mistake

gfsnh-0-276.png?18

288 uppers.  OMG

gfsnh-1-288.png?18

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
Just now, CreweCold said:

That is what you get when you repeatedly pump WAA for days on end into the Arctic and is why I can't understand the EC32 logic. OK, the UK might not go cold but I think Europe (especially E Europe) has the potential to be put into the freezer. The entire Arctic profile looks to be disrupted over the next week.

Yes - thin sharp upper ridging through the pole = brutality days later - 1987 a classic eg.

Posted
5 minutes ago, Mucka said:

If we could get a good cold spell in first half of January it would be quite a turn around when you consider the MetO have been so bullish about no cold they have felt it worthy of a mention in their 30 day forecast.

That's the thing with easterly outbreaks and Scandi highs though, they're pretty much unforecastable at 10 day range, let alone 2+ weeks. Even with the most rampant of vortex you can squeeze in a bitter easterly episode.

WOW

h850t850eu.png

Does that classify as 'slam dunk'?

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 3