Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - 1st December onwards

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)
Just now, gottolovethisweather said:

And furthermore I think will won't largely verify as shown. :bomb:

Just posted for fun, it's looking very unsettled at times but I'm assuming something quite as bonkers as that chart won't verify! Or we'll be exhausting the storm alphabet and the poor folk already flooded will be facing even more desperate times. Just seen the Met Office warning for the weekend and they are now mentioning a risk of 150mm of rainfall!! Very worrying times. :nonono:

• Like 2

Posted
12 minutes ago, mulzy said:

We can say with some confidence that the broad westerly / south-westerly flow is expected to continue in the medium term - the NAEFS 16 day anomaly chart illustrates this perfectly.

naefsnh-0-0-384.png?0

Ridge over the Eastern Canada/USA, ridge over Europe, low heights over Greenland.  This pattern is not conducive for cold over the UK.  What happens after this is purely speculative.  With the warmest December on record already in the bag, I wonder what odds the bookies would give me on the warmest winter ever recorded?

I'd be a bit wary of looking at that day 16 anomaly given the movement of the MJO. If the MJO continues into phase 7 it could produce a positive PNA pattern and that would be ridging in the west USA with troughing towards the eastern USA. With an amplified signal that normally pulls the Azores high further west with the Euro high pushed east as the jet cuts se near the UK.

NWP is often slow to react to the MJO at far timeframes so for the timebeing its best to be cautious in terms of the pattern that far ahead.

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

I'd be a bit wary of looking at that day 16 anomaly given the movement of the MJO. If the MJO continues into phase 7 it could produce a positive PNA pattern and that would be ridging in the west USA with troughing towards the eastern USA. With an amplified signal that normally pulls the Azores high further west with the Euro high pushed east as the jet cuts se near the UK.

NWP is often slow to react to the MJO at far timeframes so for the timebeing its best to be cautious in terms of the pattern that far ahead.

Thanks Nick viz. comments on the MJO.

Guess I'm getting a little bit ratty with some of the NWP output - even FI eye candy output has been in short supply!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
6 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

definitely more wintry with more Pm incursions over the next two to three weeks.

850s of -5 will be more of a visitor giving increased snow chances over high ground in the North.

I must have read a different MO outlook to you then! I could swear there was nothing remotely wintry about it aside from a few isolated slight ground/air frosts during quieter interludes in the south.

• Like 1

Posted
20 minutes ago, mulzy said:

Thanks Nick viz. comments on the MJO.

Guess I'm getting a little bit ratty with some of the NWP output - even FI eye candy output has been in short supply!!

You're not the only one! lol

If you take December so far its been like a stuck record in terms of the NH pattern. At the moment we have a variable that being the MJO which is now moving so this is the first time we've seen something that could shuffle things up. Of course there are no guarantees so I don't want to put high expectations on this. I'm keeping an open mind and will just see how things play out. Having said this one of the leading MJO experts over at NCEP has suggested that the MJO movement could change the pattern in the USA. At this point If I had to make a call I think the pattern is likely to be edged eastwards with the jet angling in more towards the UK.

Preferably we'd like to see high pressure to the ne and not a Scandi high which is too far east to do any good slowly sinking, the former would put more forcing on low pressure near the UK and help pull the jet se.

We'll see over the next week whether the models respond kindly to the MJO.

Talking of the MJO, the GEFS and GEFS BC have both updated, both continue to increase the strength of the MJO, the former into phase 7, the latter high amplitude 6, the GEFS BC has been least bullish about phase 7 but if we had believed its forecast of last week it would still be marooned in a low amplitude phase 4! Still waiting for the Euros to update.

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, *Sub*Zero* said:

Just posted for fun, it's looking very unsettled at times but I'm assuming something quite as bonkers as that chart won't verify! Or we'll be exhausting the storm alphabet and the poor folk already flooded will be facing even more desperate times. Just seen the Met Office warning for the weekend and they are now mentioning a risk of 150mm of rainfall!! Very worrying times. :nonono:

Why won't it verify?

Don't fall for the old 'too-many-isobars-because-they're-at-1mb-intervals' trick!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

The minor differences between the 06z and the 12z at just 120h out. Not that it would make much difference but the main lobe of low pressure looks more negatively tilted. 

06z 
gfs-0-120.png?6

12z

gfs-0-120.png?12

Posted

Yep that is completely of the scale if that hits Ireland will end up in the arctic then we will definitely see some snow.

And if the first storm don,t the second will make sure of it haha crazy.

gfsnh-0-168.png

gfsnh-0-174.png

gfsnh-0-216.png

gfsnh-0-222.png

Edited by booferking

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
8 minutes ago, booferking said:

Yep that is completely of the scale if that hits Ireland will end up in the arctic then we will definitely see some snow.

gfsnh-0-168.png

And if that one doesn't do the job the next one will...

gfsnh-0-222.png?12

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow

Its not looking good for us up here in Cumbria this weekend. That rainfall keeps on showing and seems to be gaining in intensity. If the 12z are correct the recent floods of 5th and those of 2009 will be minor shows in comparison.

• Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

And if that one doesn't do the job the next one will...

gfsnh-0-222.png?12

Seen that scary times ahead if that verifies, last time i seen a storm like that was boxing day storm 1998 and we hit gust of 100mph was fixing powerlines for 3 weeks after that one good job i have changed jobs since then haha.

Edited by booferking

Posted
6 minutes ago, booferking said:

Seen that scary times ahead if that verifies, last time i seen a storm like that was boxing day storm 1998 and we hit gust of 100mph was fixing powerlines for 3 weeks after that one good job i have changed jobs since then haha.

Would it be blizzards as well

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
1 hour ago, hooch5 said:

Back OT, I'm very concerned about both the stalling front on Christmas Day for the north-west and that monstrous Atlantic LP for all of us at the New Year.

Edited by ajpoolshark

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.
4 minutes ago, booferking said:

Yea that looks possible as well..

Unfortunately no snow

gfs-1-168.png?12gfs-0-168.png?12

gfs-1-216.png?12gfs-0-216.png?12

The 850s are far too high, there maybe wintriness over the mountains from any showers that form between the two storms, otherwise heavy rain albeit the rain passes through quickly.

At this point a lot can change, but to be honest I would rather not see a pattern change from our current set up to a 2013/14 re-run.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
1 minute ago, Captain Shortwave said:

Unfortunately no snow

gfs-1-168.png?12gfs-0-168.png?12

gfs-1-216.png?12gfs-0-216.png?12

The 850s are far too high, there maybe wintriness over the mountains from any showers that form between the two storms, otherwise heavy rain albeit the rain passes through quickly.

At this point a lot can change, but to be honest I would rather not see a pattern change from our current set up to a 2013/14 re-run.

Exactly and a deep FI chart so it would be extremely unlikely verify as it is.

Posted
35 minutes ago, Greenland1080 said:

Think they need to pull the GEM upgrade off the shelf!:D

Its a shame they couldn't "upgrade" the other models in a similar fashion.:D

The GFS new year output is already making me feel rather uneasy.:shok:

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Certainly a chance of snow within the systems as it pulls cooler air in at times from the N/W especially with elevation. Some proper Winter storms on the way if the GFS materialises. Quite an eye opener, And not good news for the already flooded areas with yet more heavy rain associated within these deep systems. 

a.thumb.png.1901f5933297407664411d2282d0b.thumb.png.6457797e3463851c39aa8ff6045ec.thumb.png.550dd63bdec76fe28ba4edefb410

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 6

Posted
22 hours ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

Horrendous run for Cumbria and the North West. Heavy rain throughout and if the extreme storms coincide with high tides there will be coastal flooding too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Beginning with S ending with W ;)

Light at end of the tunnel? Although seems to be hints of pattern change lately problems where would be 360hr out and no support! I don't think this tweet really shows classic -NAO although I may be wrong.

• Like 1

Posted

ECM 12z at day 5 looks to be lining up a storm.

ECM0-120.thumb.GIF.6605c612cd73fbbafc947

Thar she blows at day 6.

ECU1-144.GIF.thumb.png.0e87ece079df69099

Next one should track further south.

Edited by Cloud 10
  • Like 2

Posted

evening 

just checked the latest and seen the output for here on Boxing day. Can't quite believe it. What's causing the front to stall? or is it another one of those   horrible lined up with the isobars long fetch rain forever systems from hell again?

Would really like to get a feel for the reliability of this, given the significant change from the prior run as I might be building heavy walls tommorow as a result!

• Like 3