Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - 1st December onwards

Paul

Posted
6 minutes ago, Newberryone said:

Tidings of joy perhaps for coldies post Christmas. Could very well be for we're all very well aware of the fact that the professionals have access to considerable more data output than us mere mortals. Met Eireann forecast on RTE at teatime stating that there are now signs of the weather possibly turning "much colder" from the 25th onwards. 

Perhaps not relevant quoting the professionals I know mods as this is a model discussion thread, but as we're all championing the same cause, i.e. cold weather prospects, you might on this occasion take heart. 

34zhnac.png

Gefs say no. 

• Like 5

Posted
4 hours ago, Newberryone said:

Tidings of joy perhaps for coldies post Christmas. Could very well be for we're all very well aware of the fact that the professionals have access to considerable more data output than us mere mortals. Met Eireann forecast on RTE at teatime stating that there are now signs of the weather possibly turning "much colder" from the 25th onwards. 

Perhaps not relevant quoting the professionals I know mods as this is a model discussion thread, but as we're all championing the same cause, i.e. cold weather prospects, you might on this occasion take heart. 

Unfortunately much colder simply means a return to average or slightly below as polar North Westerlies occasionally impact the North and West. 

They most certainly do not mean Northerly blocking with snow and ice.

• Like 5

Posted
4 hours ago, Greenland1080 said:

However...that could be the first step on the road to Northerly blocking with snow an ice...lots of models showing signs of waa pushing north to put pressure on the vortex....could be a very interesting start to Jan 16

We are weeks away from any severe impact on the PV,  mid January at the earliest.

I haven't seen one model that says otherwise. 

• Like 3

Posted

That shortwave to the sw is too developed, we want a weaker feature to bring this into the UK not too far west. And we don't want this shortwave anywhere near the upstream low.

Game over shortwave phases with troughing which tugs this eastwards. Its like pulling teeth sometimes!

If this shortwave runs ene into the UK someone gets a nice surprise over Christmas/Boxing Day with a chance of some snow, if it develops and runs more like the GFS 18hrs it all goes pearshaped.

Edited by nick sussex

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

It is encouraging to see models are showing tentative signs that changes maybe afoot but I think it will be a good few weeks before we get a nationwide cold spell.

In the meantime it looks like another t-shirt and short day down here in the SE lol

P.S. Good to the see SM back-a sure sign cold weather is on the horizon.:)  

• Like 2

Posted

If you haven't noticed, Sylvain is running the new GFS in parallel: it looks to be a bit sporadic in downloading but always something else to look at.

The mid day charts for Christmas below - current and then new model.

gfs-0-168.png?12       gfs-0-168.png?12

Link here   .....    http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?ech=6&code=0&mode=0&runpara=1

• Like 4

Posted

i think looking at the two main models tonight ( GFS & ECM), that the focus is on rainfall between now and Christmas day.

Whilst i do want to see some seasonal weather, my thoughts are with those that have had such a dire start to the festive season. The models hint of those same areas getting large rainfall totals again.  The areas namely - southern Ireland, Wales ( Esp North and West) then later to include possibly Cumbria and Western Scotland.

A lot of shannon entropy on how much and where but whilst we model watch here looking for winter, i think this deserves some discussion on each run as it could have some major disruption in some peoples lives.

Does anyone see anything different as my analysis is this is a large risk with over 100mm of rain for some soaked areas over the next week, mainly due to orographic rainfall.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gottolovethisweather said:

:nea: And it is as if tonight's ECM has read the script, my script that is. :clap:

5674598622554_ECM12Z181215t240H500NHVIEW

Hi..Maybe the question mark will go to middle east / Israel maybe ! 

Edited by MJO
  • Like 1

Posted
19 minutes ago, Paul_1978 said:

I've seen the term "Sceuro High" bandied about on here a lot recently - where exactly is 'Sceuro'?

Probably something like this:

gfsnh-0-300.png?12

Signs on the previous overnight 0Z ECM 240 especially of this pressure, pumped up by WAA, digging into East Greenland

ECH1-240.GIF?18-12

It's all like NS says about the downstream activity of that deep low and where and how potently it starts pumping up the High in our area via WAA.

Either way, a worrying lack of cold in Europe doesn't bode well for us. Most models that do show a dig down of cold bring it into our old friends in Greece / Turkey.

Still a chance we could experience the same just before New Years' Eve.

More, I believe under-modelled activity over in the Alaska / Bering will undergo rapid enhancement and snag the proposed Sceuro West. Models might well latch onto this late.

No snowmageddon yet, but much colder at surface 10 days out than currently progged and some thinking to do in terms of where we go next.

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, pyrotech said:

i think looking at the two main models tonight ( GFS & ECM), that the focus is on rainfall between now and Christmas day.

Whilst i do want to see some seasonal weather, my thoughts are with those that have had such a dire start to the festive season. The models hint of those same areas getting large rainfall totals again.  The areas namely - southern Ireland, Wales ( Esp North and West) then later to include possibly Cumbria and Western Scotland.

A lot of shannon entropy on how much and where but whilst we model watch here looking for winter, i think this deserves some discussion on each run as it could have some major disruption in some peoples lives.

Does anyone see anything different as my analysis is this is a large risk with over 100mm of rain for some soaked areas over the next week, mainly due to orographic rainfall.

I agree...sometimes tire of all the hunting for cold charts when other significant events are showing on the models. GFS 144 hr rainfall totals for NW England and Wales getting very worrying yet again, increasing as they do with every run.

Edited by Ian Francis

Posted
1 hour ago, Paul_1978 said:

I've seen the term "Sceuro High" bandied about on here a lot recently - where exactly is 'Sceuro'?

Paul, it means highish heights over Scandi which have their roots in Eastern Europe.  So no undercut possible and no cold advection towards w Europe. (Scandi/euro = sceuro)

hopefully you you will be asking about the gricelandic ridge next month!

• Like 3

Posted

The ecm for Christmas day is a hare's breath away from delivering a white Christmas to the North and West.

I said a few days ago that Christmas day would take a while to be sorted. The likelihood is of course that it won't happen BUT a brave man would bet against it right now!! ( for Northwestern regions)

Posted

Rather nice ECM continuing the trend from Yesterday, if we managed the much fabled cut off low in the Atlantic we would probably have one of the most dramatic model turnarounds in modern history!

Recm1921.gif

Recm2161.gif

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
2 minutes ago, KTtom said:

Rather nice ECM continuing the trend from Yesterday, if we managed the much fabled cut off low in the Atlantic we would probably have one of the most dramatic model turnarounds in modern history!

Recm1921.gif

Recm2161.gif

Or the ecm is overdoing the amplification and it would go a similar way to the gfs! Still, it is at least a bit of interest I guess. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

Just popped in before mad saturday shopping ,and certainly some nice looking  interesting and eye candy charts this morning .

Ecm could lead us into something more seasonal but we need high pressure a bit further north but at least its being modelled and also some interesting low pressure around ,our forum will certainly not be boring but later further outlook still not sorted , looking better now from a coldies view so thats good :yahoo::cold:

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Well ECM does love to produce awesome D10 charts, shame each run they are different. Anyway this morning its heights and WAA towards Greenland: 

ECM100-240.thumb.gif.6a0b59c850d074074f5  GEM At D10gem-0-240.thumb.png.ed664947f7f2b68dfc65  

GEM looking good for a height rise as does the GFS op. However again the GEFS are trending the other way and that now includes the control run, which is now very flat with little amplification. Always the case when a wave is introduced to a stable pattern and I suppose we just have to wait till the models sort it out. What is unfortunate is that both the GFS and ECM op are notorious for over doing the longevity and latitude of these amplifications, however the experts on here are very sure we will get a Sceuro block so its a case of waiting till the ensembles catch up.

The GFS still no sign of any MJO signal for Phase 6 or 7: 

combphase_noCFSsmall.thumb.gif.ab3d995fcnao.sprd2.thumb.gif.ce134841de11ea6d4817ao.sprd2.thumb.gif.86773f869022bdeed0a75

Both the AO and NAO were showing signs of going negative but now they look like they were moving into a lower positive range, but now reestablishing into a higher positive stage over time. CFS weeklies for 2 and 3 now showing the sceuro heights, as you would expect as the CFS has been leading the MJO signal:

wk1.wk2_20151217.z500.thumb.gif.d515fee9   wk3.wk4_20151217.z500.thumb.gif.7b68af26

As for whether this will bring anything other than mild to the UK in the short term (up till D10) is unlikely as the ECM op is showing some very mild uppers from D7-10 inclusive. If the GFS is wrong with the MJO signal then expect flips from its ensembles soon as its D10 and D12 means don't offer much hope of some propagation to the strat:

gens-21-1-240.thumb.png.9540d9e7d6447107  gens-21-1-288.thumb.png.1bcc1bf042e063a2  Strat at D16: NH_HGT_30mb_384.thumb.gif.7854a447f4a690

Hopefully the weekend's model output will resolve these issues and we will know whether the strat can get a prolonged attack as currently the strat, although stretched is proving resilient. Its the long way to an SSW via a stretched PV I think. As stated before the experts believe the MJO is very quiet at the moment and that MJO models will flip back into the COD with more runs: https://twitter.com/xerophobe_ww/status/677975990656630785 , so what will actually happen is still debatable till this MJO signal is resolved, as if it is a fast Kelvin wave then it may be a brief meridional flow?

• Like 3