Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - 1st December onwards

Paul

Posted

Oh no more shortwave drama!

UW144-21.thumb.gif.c64abdfa4ba3e5fb4835b

This is now akin to Princess Leia uttering those immortal words.

Help me obi wan kenobi you're my only hope!

The models look like they will definitely phase the UK low with the upstream troughing but both the UKMO and GFS just about manage to cut a shortwave east into the UK. This is now the last hope to get some energy under high pressure near Scandi. Even then theres still a lot of energy running over the high, and this shortwave must separate cleanly from the upstream troughing.

• Like 7

Posted
3 hours ago, Thunderbolt_ said:

I do wish people in this model thread would be much less biased than they are (yes I did just say that, despite the fact that people constantly accuse me of being biased). It's kind of annoys me how people on both sides of the coin will search in deep FI for charts that show either extremely mild or cold charts. Those sorts of posts belong more in the winter ramps and moans thread. This thread should be for a more uniform and objective look at the models, not ramping the hell out of anything that takes your preferences.

So can we try to that, thanks. SR

I would just like to add that I posted that GEFS temp anomaly chart, not because I was ramping warm as you so eloquently put it, but because it epitomised the gfs run which was rather on the warm side. The 12z run is not that much different. As much as I would like to post a cold plunge it's not really ethical to make one up.

Edited by knocker
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Not much of interest in the models at the moment, all going as expected, pretty flat and zonal, with rain and temps above average as a whole. The D16 GFS doesn't promise any change before January, though a nice NH Polar profile.

The GFS strat at the far reaches of FI is cheeky and may be worth watching assuming it is not a flash in the pan:

NH_HGT_30mb_384.thumb.gif.450fa27ccd4528    gfsnh-0-384.thumb.png.4a76d89c05943af511   MT2_London_ens.thumb.png.b84c8aeca07182c

Lots of uncertainty up to D10 re detail on the GEFS but pretty bog standard Atlantic driven for all but a couple of members. Then through to D16 more spread but the main cluster is more of the same: http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_panel.php?modele=0&mode=1&ech=384

Edited by IDO

Posted
2 hours ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

Who'd want Christmas dinner in those sort of temperatures anyway?:rolleyes:  Seriously, for someone in my position whose interpretation skills aren't up to much, I presume that's showing +4-5C to the average temperature, therefore around 12-13C?

I wouldn't mind. As a family we celebrate what we call Australian Christmas. Started with us being given a turkey, when we already had one. Decided to have the turkey in July. Australian Christmas.  Includes presents that could only be given if they had come from a charity shop and cost no more than £3.00. 

Been briliant  when the day is hot and sunny. 

Funny  how the children, little mercenary so and so's were quite happy with something that cost 50p. 

Ok nothing  to with models but probably those who are desparate for snow up to their necks and get uptight about this sort of comment are having their usual therapy session at the moment. 

Snipper 

• Like 6

Posted
5 minutes ago, knocker said:

Of course not. Although I'm not keen on cold weather, which isn't exactly a crime,  I'm pretty impartial when it comes to reporting on what the models are saying. One can't just ignore the fact that we've had a few weeks of above average temps and quite possible two or three more. I realise that's galling many. (not everyone) but one just has to take the rough with the smooth. It aint the end of the world. So taking that into account

gefs_t2ma_5d_eur_37.png

Thats really incredible virtually the whole of Europe is mild/very mild. I would imagine Spain is still in the high teens early 20's looking at that.All down to that slug dragging up southerly winds from Africa.

Posted

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms
28 minutes ago, Cheese Rice said:

Hate to 'rain' on your parade but worth noting Ian F had mentioned the Euro4 has problems in over doing the snow signal generally.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Costa Del Fal said:

Hate to 'rain' on your parade but worth noting Ian F had mentioned the Euro4 has problems in over doing the snow signal generally.

Met Office warning looks in line with the EURO 4 

........rain to turn to snow and accumulate - mostly likely, but not exclusively, on high ground..... with 5 to 10 cm potentially accumulating above around 200 m.

• Like 6

Posted

Those more knowledgable, a picture of the strat on day 8, then day 16 which had moved to the East and shrunk the blues....is this likely to change anything going forward - I understand there is no particular warming showing in these images!!

image.png

image.png

Posted

ECM day 10 looks like it could be very interesting a day on from that....large scale Arctic flow heading in!!

Posted
4 hours ago, Ali1977 said:

ECM day 10 looks like it could be very interesting a day on from that....large scale Arctic flow heading in!!

Indeed Ali. ECM looking to move the whole tropospheric PV to our North.

It would be a  Christmas miracle if we could squeeze a white Christmas out of this awful pattern

Very December 2004 looking. 

• Like 4

Posted

High latitude block across the pole looks loaded with potential to me the initiation to a stressed PV?  

I really fail to see why some are so downbeat..

image.thumb.png.62bdbde7172548bb447b67ac

• Like 7

Posted
20 minutes ago, Greenland1080 said:

Well I certainly do not disappear if cold signals disappear...I wait for more...painful as it maybe December could be dreadfully mild for coldies....Xmas day under 15 degrees:nonono:....it does look like it will be post Xmas before we could see some better sustained cold opportunities...id love things to change for Xmas day but not looking great tonight...However things can change quickly with uk weather.....Scandinavia high for new year:cold:

image.png

I don't know whether it was meant to but that chart isn't indicating a Scandinavian high.

Edited by knocker

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

Model output discussion

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/cfse_cartes.php?ech=714&mode=0&carte=1&run=10

That's a Scandi in New Year and the PV is dissected with x polar flow.Merry ........

Edited by winterof79
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

As stressed by the warnings in place there are again some very high rainfall amounts to come over the weekend. Not good news at all.

a.png

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

npsh500.240.png

Well, that's another one of those runs that take the vortex toward Siberia/Scandinavia - and which have a habit of not verifying well due to complications in the Atlantic.

Really though, it's the stratospheric developments showing up for between around 8 and 16 days that are raising my eyebrows more. There's some genuine potential to take down the raging vortex by not long into 2016 - but the usual issues with the GFS model in particular tending to be too simplistic and (as a result) too fast with developments have to be taken into account. That leaves me with any time between the end of Dec and mid-Jan as a realistic window for the vortex to really lose its grip.

Come that time it'll be a lottery as to where the cold goes, until then 'often wet and wild' appears to the be favoured theme, temperatures less certain though - probably very mild for a time during the middle part of the coming week (though maybe as late as Friday) across the southern half of the UK at least, but then what? Anything from balmy to a notable chill. looks possible due to uncertainties with respect to where the main trough sets up.

To be honest I can't help but wonder what ever happened to strong areas of high pressure spending lengthy periods of time over the UK? :search:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW
7 minutes ago, Singularity said:

npsh500.240.png

Well, that's another one of those runs that take the vortex toward Siberia/Scandinavia - and which have a habit of not verifying well due to complications in the Atlantic.

Really though, it's the stratospheric developments showing up for between around 8 and 16 days that are raising my eyebrows more. There's some genuine potential to take down the raging vortex by not long into 2016 - but the usual issues with the GFS model in particular tending to be too simplistic and (as a result) too fast with developments have to be taken into account. That leaves me with any time between the end of Dec and mid-Jan as a realistic window for the vortex to really lose its grip.

Come that time it'll be a lottery as to where the cold goes, until then 'often wet and wild' appears to the be favoured theme, temperatures less certain though - probably very mild for a time during the middle part of the coming week (though maybe as late as Friday) across the southern half of the UK at least, but then what? Anything from balmy to a notable chill. looks possible due to uncertainties with respect to where the main trough sets up.

To be honest I can't help but wonder what ever happened to strong areas of high pressure spending lengthy periods of time over the UK? :search:

Last one i remember was after Boxing day last year... it lasted 6 or 7 days not lengthy but thats the last one i can remember in a long time...

Posted

I will be keeping an eye on the METO long range over the next few days, although the signals for cold late December disappeared from their models , I feel early Jan things may change - and as  starting to show up now and again , this may stem from an initial shift in PV to Siberia. Not sure this will happen as early as the ECM has modelled it this evening though!!! 

• Like 1