Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Forum upgrade - info, bugs, support

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.
Just now, Ed Stone said:

It remembered the test one that paul gave me...

...but none of the others?-if so- strange.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
42 minutes ago, The PIT said:

I'll just make long posts them.

In word you can turn that option off. Also this is a forum and not a word document or a letter now wheres those smilies.

Too lazy to use shift + enter then? :acute:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

On the other software it had the highest posters, today's top posters and the most liked content will any of these be returning when everything settles down?

Posted

is there an option to switch to desktop view on a phone? 

i could on the old one

Edited by bobbydog

Posted
3 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

On the other software it had the highest posters, today's top posters and the most liked content will any of these be returning when everything settles down?

Probably, or at least something similar. 

3 minutes ago, bobbydog said:

is there an option to switch to desktop view on a phone? 

i could on the old one

Not at the moment, most users on mobiles/tablets are saying it's a lot better than the old one, what features are you missing?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but boringly hot
1 hour ago, Paul said:

I think it's been like that for years hasn't it - relative timestamps on day 1, then real timestamps after that?

Sorry Paul, I'm not sure if I am referring to the same change as I am referring to the 'time of post', which used to show the exact time of the post. Whereas now it says '1 hour ago' instead of at 19:34hrs.

Its not a biggie and I quite like most of the upgrades, its just confusing having to work out if a post was written yesterday or today when it says 23 hours ago. Posts written over 24 hours ago do state 'written yesterday' but posts written 23 hours ago do not state yesterday when in reality they were.

Edited by geordiekev

Posted
7 minutes ago, Paul said:

Ah, in the thread you mean - in which case if you mouse over relative time it'll show the exact one.

Thanks Paul and true, but having to hover your mouse over for a few seconds just takes away from the easiness of scrolling down and not sure how this would work on a mobile device.

Edited by geordiekev

Posted
6 minutes ago, Paul said:

It may be something we can change, will take a look. 

Thanks Paul, its just its nice to know if posts were written following the rolling out of the 0z, 6z, etc which could easily be spotted if the time reference exists.

Edited by geordiekev

Posted
1 minute ago, Paul said:

Probably, or at least something similar. 

Not at the moment, most users on mobiles/tablets are saying it's a lot better than the old one, what features are you missing?

i just preferred it. you can view the whole forum homepage on desktop

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

New forum will take getting use to, but is quite sleek.

I notice that some of the usernames formatting is a bit off now in the comment threads. Such as above, ThunderSnowdays is

ThundersnowDay
s

Similarly, mine is now

BornFromTheVoi
D

Can anything be done about that?

Also, is there any "preview post" option now?

Posted

The only suggestion I can make re names being broken on the layout (for the time being at least) is to put some spaces in, then it'll go to two lines a bit more nicely. 

The post preview has been removed on this version of the software, on the basis that the editor is a lot more wysiwyg so in theory should preview your post a lot better any way. That said, I know there is a plugin to re-add the preview option, so if there's demand for it we can look at that.

Posted
35 minutes ago, bobbydog said:

i just preferred it. you can view the whole forum homepage on desktop

I'll look into it, but in terms of the way modern web design is going these days, the option to view the desktop version on a mobile is a rarer beast as most sites (like this one) are responsive rather than having a desktop and mobile version which are essentially 2 different sites.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Is the time of post going to be put back ? apologies if its been mentioned before, I'm aware you can hover over it  but much better 12.23pm rather then 8 hrs ago.

Posted

All the rebuilds have completed now, and all seems to be running smoothly in the main - but please let us know if you spot any problems. 

We do have a couple larger bugs outstanding. The first being that the blogs are currently offline, and the second that using the activity stream to show posts from members you follow is currently showing an error.  Both these should hopefully be fixed soon. 

Thanks for all the feedback so far. We've already made some tweaks to the system based on it (added some colour on the index page, new pagination colours, better thumbnailing of linked images, added user location back into posts on mobile, making the reply editor stand out a bit more, and various other small fixes and tweaks). We'll continue to tweak things as we go and other planned updates include:

• Looking at the timing display on posts in threads 
  • Adding additional skins (inc Xmas skin)
  • Increasing the length of status updates displayed on the forum home page

I've started making guides to help with various aspects of the new software with a guide to posting images, and will continue to add further guides over the next couple of days. I'll tag all the guides and topics around the updated forum together, so they're easy to find:

https://forum.netweather.tv/search/?tags=forum+guide

If you have any further feedback, queries or ideas please shout!

Paul

Posted

You will have definitely had that email though. Anyway. I've reset your password on your proper account to the same as you have on your temp account, so you should be able to get in with that.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Surprises

Just logged in after a break - Wow  what a difference - Refreshing after all these years - gradually getting used to navigating the new design.

Tried a search to choose a different skin (forum layout) then read you're working on them. I look forward to those as everything seems a little too spaced out (lots of blank space) on my screen compared to other websites like BBC for example. this is especially noticeable with one liner posts (-:

Perhaps if the members location/post numbers font size were a smaller then the blank space in the post field would shrink down a bit?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Apart from my own (I suspect age-related) tribulations, I find the site layout a vast improvement...

• Like 1

Posted
25 minutes ago, Pixel said:

Just logged in after a break - Wow  what a difference - Refreshing after all these years - gradually getting used to navigating the new design.

Tried a search to choose a different skin (forum layout) then read you're working on them. I look forward to those as everything seems a little too spaced out (lots of blank space) on my screen compared to other websites like BBC for example. this is especially noticeable with one liner posts (-:

Perhaps if the members location/post numbers font size were a smaller then the blank space in the post field would shrink down a bit?

Good idea, have made it a touch smaller :)