Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Forum upgrade - info, bugs, support

Paul

Posted

on the old forum layout as I browsed each thread there was a button at the top of the page called go to the first unread post.     is this button available on the new forum layout and if so where?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

ouch.......don't like the change but till need time to get used to it I guess.  Strikes me as an initial thought that it's more designed for folks using tablets and mobiles perhaps than the likes of me on a bog-standard laptop.

One thing I did find strange looking at the November CET thread earlier......on posts which incorporated quotes from previous quotes ..it was not all that easy to distinguish between the two and the time of the quote used was gone?  It that a temporary blip or a gone for good thing?

Posted
8 hours ago, Paul said:

As you may have spotted, we've upgraded the forum this morning, hopefully you like the changes - there are a whole lot of new features which I'll go through in more detail shortly. 

In the meantime we will have a couple of days where some things won't work as well as they should, while the system is rebuilding things behind the scenes. The problems you may see will include:

• Search not working.
  • View new content (now known as Unread content) not working properly - especially with regard to posts made before the update.
  • Post formatting may be strange on posts made prior to the upgrade.
  • Images may open strangely (in a new tab or window) in posts made prior to the upgrade. 
  • Images posted before the upgrade will be full size.
  • Quotes posted before the upgrade won't be marked as quotes.
  • The blogging system is currently offline.
  • Activity streams will be incomplete. 
  • Searching for posts from members you follow may throw an error.
  • The forum may not be as quick to load as usual at times.

All of these issues should sort themselves in around 48 hours once all of the rebuilds have been completed. In the meantime, if you spot anything not right which isn't in this list please let us know. 

Once the rebuild is complete, many people will notice that their post counts have changed - some up, some down. This is down to the new system recounting everything and removing old pruned posts (we used to regularly prune posts to keep the database small) from counts, as well as now including posts in the off topic areas and other pieces of content within the count. 

Thanks

Paul

Figured I'd quote this here, as I'm guessing not everyone is reading from the start.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow
1 minute ago, Paul said:

Figured I'd quote this hear, as I'm guessing not everyone is reading from the start.

good idea  :-)    cheers Paul 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

I like it - thank you guys. Overall it seems much easier to make a post with attachments (no need to go into "More Reply Options"), although the 'dragging and dropping' of a chart into the right place within text seems a little hit and miss (I preferred the "Add to Post" option where you placed your cursor where you wanted the chart to go. But maybe it's me not used to the new system yet?

A question please - has this upgrade now fixed the problem that meant you couldn't change your avatar pic?

Posted

Might be a bit of an ask, but would it be possible to provide an additional theme (namely, the one that was there earlier today)?  Most of the border outlines and thread titles were the usual royal blue, and things generally looked more 'structured'.

Is it possible?

Posted
4 minutes ago, Blessed Weather said:

I like it - thank you guys. Overall it seems much easier to make a post with attachments (no need to go into "More Reply Options"), although the 'dragging and dropping' of a chart into the right place within text seems a little hit and miss (I preferred the "Add to Post" option where you placed your cursor where you wanted the chart to go. But maybe it's me not used to the new system yet?

A question please - has this upgrade now fixed the problem that meant you couldn't change your avatar pic?

Yep, that's fixed :)

And just testing - looks like you don't have to place the image into your post, just uploading it and then posting will put it at the bottom of your post.

nwlogo.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers
7 minutes ago, Paul said:

Yep, that's fixed :)

And just testing - looks like you don't have to place the image into your post, just uploading it and then posting will put it at the bottom of your post.

nwlogo.png

Thanks Paul. Good news about the avatar pic fix. :) With regard image posting, great that you can leave them at the bottom of the post - that will make it very fast to put a post together. But I was referring to occasions when you want to mix text and posts, i.e. you write something, post an image, write a bit more, post another image, etc. It certainly works as I've just done that in the Alps Thread - but it just seemed a little "fingers crossed" as you dragged the image and tried to pop it in the right place. But next time I'll try adding each image as I go along and not wait to the end to upload them all and then try and place each one.

Posted

Ah, you don't have to drag it, you can click the little plus button which shows over the image and it'll place where the cursor is. 

2 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Any way of viewing member name history? was on the old one, OPI Kenobi, who is it?

Not at the moment by the looks of it, will try and get it re-added though. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Hm, don't like how on the status updates area the post is cut short and you have to visit their profile to read it all.

• Like 1

Posted

Well, I don't hate it! Which for a miserable old git like me must be quite good!

Edited by davehsug
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
10 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

If you haven't managed to hide it already its easy next to the 'show for the session' is an arrow click it and select never it will hide it

Depends on your web browser Waterfox doesn't give the option.

Posted

It's a function of the browser though, so really down to the browser maker to ensure they have a system to allow the user to get rid of the request if they want. The main browsers do.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Interesting weather

The layout seems very open and clean but it seems to take more scrolling down to read everything because each post now fills the screen. 

Posted

Thanks for all the feedback so far. It's all being read, even if I can't reply to everyone. 

The rebuild process is still ongoing, should hopefully complete today. Beyond that we'll start to look at improvements and additions, skin options etc. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
12 hours ago, cheese said:

Hm, don't like how on the status updates area the post is cut short and you have to visit their profile to read it all.

Agreed. And you have to click through to see the replies too.

Generally I think this change is positive (I'll get used to it), but things like the above are really "clunky".

Posted

Looking at it, there does seem to be a fairly simple way for us to increase the length of the status replies displayed on the front page. The replying through profiles isn't simple to change though, and it's by design with Invision wanting to focus more on activity feeds both for the forum and for users, so that sort of takes you to those things. In theory it could well be a decent system, particularly as you can then have conversations across several status updates by someone, and follow updates from people without having to see them on the front page. In reality it may not quite work like that, but we can assess as we go, and look to make changes if needed I guess. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms

I seem to have a problem with the new layout.When I try to select a link after clicking on the 'downwards arrow' next to 'Netweather' (top left hand corner) the options disappear before I can select what I want eg extra or the forecasts etc ?