Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Forum upgrade - info, bugs, support

Paul

Posted

As you may have spotted, we've upgraded the forum this morning, hopefully you like the changes - there are a whole lot of new features which I'll go through in more detail shortly. 

In the meantime we will have a couple of days where some things won't work as well as they should, while the system is rebuilding things behind the scenes. The problems you may see will include:

• Search not working.
  • View new content (now known as Unread content) not working properly - especially with regard to posts made before the update.
  • Post formatting may be strange on posts made prior to the upgrade.
  • Images may open strangely (in a new tab or window) in posts made prior to the upgrade. 
  • Images posted before the upgrade will be full size.
  • Quotes posted before the upgrade won't be marked as quotes.
  • The blogging system is currently offline.
  • Activity streams will be incomplete. 
  • Searching for posts from members you follow may throw an error.
  • The forum may not be as quick to load as usual at times.

All of these issues should sort themselves in around 48 hours once all of the rebuilds have been completed. In the meantime, if you spot anything not right which isn't in this list please let us know. 

Once the rebuild is complete, many people will notice that their post counts have changed - some up, some down. This is down to the new system recounting everything and removing old pruned posts (we used to regularly prune posts to keep the database small) from counts, as well as now including posts in the off topic areas and other pieces of content within the count. 

Thanks

Paul

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

What browser are you using? I have the latest version of Firefox and Internet Explorer and its running smoothly

Try CTRL and F5 or clearing the cache

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted

Works fine with google chrome,,, Work browser.. could be work parent control? use a proxy in work? 

Edited by lfcdude

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Very nice. No probs, although I did need to make a new password.

• Like 1

Posted
20 minutes ago, lfcdude said:

sounds busy, Will it be able to use with tapatalk once rebuild complete? 

I don't think so, not so much that it'll not be compatible but having looked into it before it's not something we've ever been too keen to opt in to. That said, a mobile app for the forum is on the agenda. 

• Like 1

Posted

Although I can see why these upgrades are done I think theres an issue with the lack of colour. The overall look when logged in is not engaging enough, too pale. The site doesn't jump out at you, too much black and wishy washy colouring.

• Like 6

Posted
8 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Although I can see why these upgrades are done I think theres an issue with the lack of colour. The overall look when logged in is not engaging enough, too pale. The site doesn't jump out at you, too much black and wishy washy colouring.

Skins? maybe paul can open a graphics forum and have a monthly competition? 

Posted
11 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

The font-weight was a bit light, so have upped that a tad - may help?

3 minutes ago, lfcdude said:

Could be a plan! Will have a think on it. 

• Like 2

Posted
9 minutes ago, lfcdude said:

There are some good additions with the upgrade however the colour is a problem, or the lack of it.  Its just blah, horrible, versions of black, grey mostly, the topic titles don't stand out, it just all blends into one.

Re your reply Paul, yes that has improved things but I still think a bit too pale! lol I think the topic titles need a bit more colour, perhaps darkish blue, is that possible?

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 4

Posted
8 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

There are some good additions with the upgrade however the colour is a problem, or the lack of it.  Its just blah, horrible, versions of black, grey mostly, the topic titles don't stand out, it just all blends into one.

Re your reply Paul, yes that has improved things but I still think a bit too pale! lol I think the topic titles need a bit more colour, perhaps darkish blue, is that possible?

Yeah, defo possible. Was planning to leave it a few days, get feedback then we can look at what adjustments we make :)

• Like 1

Posted

Forum looks smart to me.  Clean.  Re. the lack of colour, noticed there are two default themes - 'Default' and 'Default (Netweather)'.  I've opted for the former as has more colour than the other (which is how forum opened up on login).  Suppose a splash of more colour here and there would be ideal, but other than that, looks good.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

I can't seem to be able to post a status or reply to any.... ..

When I click the 'what's on your mind' box it re-directs to my profile

Edited by Dami

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

Where the status are, the 'what's on your mind box' isn't always there, and if it is and I click on it, it says 'loading' and re-directs to my profile page, and I have nothing there to write anything. If i try to reply to one it just directs me to the person's profile and that's it.

Edit - sorry paul, worked out how to reply, just can't do my own status!

Edited by Dami

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Are we able to set our own theme still? after the upgrade I changed it to default from netweather default I've just logged back on and its changed again and I can't seem to be able to change it back