Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Should we keep the #NameOurStorms scheme?  

197 members have voted

1. 1. Should we keep the #NameOurStorms scheme?

• Yes, I like it!
    • No, it's a waste of time.
    • Not bothered.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

See  I don't get this. Last year many of the named storms  such as Desmond and Eva  had  significant rain  hazards but  barely any wind  problems at all. So what's changed because it seems to me that it wasn't just for wind last year either. 

Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 298
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I didn't like the idea initially but I'm warming to it now. Makes it easier to refer to past storms when they're named, rather than the [insert date here] storm.

Is there a chance of dust being whipped up like what Ophelia did? That was quite a sight t o behold here, especially observing my solar radiation sensor. These images weren't doctored, I just adj

and this year it's been extended from just WIND, to wind, rain/flooding and snow!

Posted Images

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
    6 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

See  I don't get this. Last year many of the named storms  such as Desmond and Eva  had  significant rain  hazards but  barely any wind  problems at all. So what's changed because it seems to me that it wasn't just for wind last year either. 

It was meant to be for just wind, and Desmond was meant to be a wind storm, it's just that flooding over shadowed it. May be why the changes. Also you have to remember that the Irish met are involved too, if I remember right it was the Irish met that named that one for wind, and it brought rain here. 

Edited by alexisj9
    • Like 3
    Posted
    5 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

Several reasons maybe ... the models were wrong .... narrow wind field impacting a small region .... the Irish Met office named it for impacts over there: can remember one in that category .....  and the metric risk box - lower winds but high density population/peak travel times.

Edited by Gael_Force
    • Like 3
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days
    3 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

It was meant to be for just wind, and Desmond was meant to be a wind storm, it's just that flooding over shadowed it. May be why the changes. Also you have to remember that the Irish met are involved too, if I remember right it was the Irish met that named that one for wind, and it brought rain here. 

Yeah, makes sense to have a clear policy on this now.

Posted
    1 hour ago, Jo Farrow said:

are they going to run all year, is it not just a autumn/winter (early spring) thing. We won't get new names again til 1st Oct 2017 if the scheme continues but  it should be seen as a half year season. Or are you envisaging some weather upsets, like HUrricane Alex perhaps

If the main aim of the scheme is to raise public awareness of weather warnings via a Twitter hashtag, there can be severe weather impacts at any time of the year. I think it's a great idea .... looking forward to the manic response when first named snow event appears on the MO website.

• Like 1
    • 2 months later...
    • 3 months later...
    Posted

Bill Giles has made his views known on the naming of storms and warnings in general

"“On frosty and snowy nights does the forecaster really need to tell people to watch out on untreated roads and pavements?”

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2017-03-06/bill-giles-weather-forecasters-need-to-stop-behaving-like-nannies

The storm naming system for me went tits up this season with the media deciding what to name. Then there were storms that IMO I question such as 11th January that for some reason weren't named.

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Gales, T-storms, Heavy Rain, Heat, Cold - Love it all.
    6 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Bill Giles has made his views known on the naming of storms and warnings in general

"“On frosty and snowy nights does the forecaster really need to tell people to watch out on untreated roads and pavements?”

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2017-03-06/bill-giles-weather-forecasters-need-to-stop-behaving-like-nannies

The storm naming system for me went tits up this season with the media deciding what to name. Then there were storms that IMO I question such as 11th January that for some reason weren't named.

I agree with ol' Bill.

I do like the naming of storms, but Bill's comments point exactly towards the thoughts of others, that our forecasts have become really dumbed-down. I very rarely watch a forecast on TV these days, unless thunderstorm activity is likely in the vicinity. It's not down to the fact  that I have access to weather models or online information either, its because I don't enjoy the presentation of them anymore.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

I like having named storms. When it's done properly the engagement on social media about the storm can be good to see. As already mentioned it's the media naming storms without them officially being named that confuses everyone. 

That and the criteria for naming storms seems to be unclear and inconsistent. 

• 2 weeks later...
    Posted

Netweather front page says Storm Stella is not UK bound. 

a) confusion already as this storm was named for US folk to be warned and yet the UK media have picked up on it and people will assume it is a universal naming system. It isn't.

b) what if it was UK bound and reinvigorated what happens then we are only up to F on this side of the Atlantic,

Edited by Weather-history
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I remember the National Weather Service wanting nothing to do with the winter storm naming in the US when it started a few years ago, it was very much an invention of The Weather Channel, not sure if that's still the case?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie
    23 hours ago, Nick L said:

I remember the National Weather Service wanting nothing to do with the winter storm naming in the US when it started a few years ago, it was very much an invention of The Weather Channel, not sure if that's still the case?

NWS don't use names for Winter Storms.

If the winter storm - (unofficial US Stella) did deepen enough to get an Amber warning here in the UK (or Eire) then it would become our #StormFleur

ex-Hurricanes keep their name, as they are  officially named . This Storm naming only relates to autumn/winter/spring low pressures and their associated rain/wind/snow 

so not summer thunderstorm torrential rain

• 5 months later...
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

The 17/18 storm names are out Aileen will be the 1st named storm in the days or weeks ahead

59b00107b5130_DJCkPuMW0AA4aM7.jpglarge.thumb.jpeg.835d91688e47c57505f48d061c102631.jpeg

Posted
    8 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

The 17/18 storm names are out Aileen will be the 1st named storm in the days or weeks ahead

59b00107b5130_DJCkPuMW0AA4aM7.jpglarge.thumb.jpeg.835d91688e47c57505f48d061c102631.jpeg

Inspiration for Brian and Dylan?

magic-roundabout-dylan-brian-fridge-magn

Problem with releasing the names in advance is that the papers gets itchy feet trying to be ahead of the other papers in naming a storm and then everything gets into a muddle when either it's not as bad as forecast and the media seems to be crying wolf or when a depression doesn't meet the windspeed threshold to be a named storm but still causes a lot of disruption like that rainstorm over Greater Manchester last year which wasn't named as Barbara. And then we end up with a situation where people are saying 'wait, didn't we already have storm Barbara/Doris two months ago?' etc.

They should only announce the storm names one by one when the MET actually decides it's going to be a named storm (and then release the whole list of storm names after the season is over for the weather anoraks).

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

No Zeberdie (sp?) though!:D

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

So is tomorrow's deep low going to be named? With trees still in full leaf it could be disruptive across a large swathe of the country!

Edited by Nick L
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.
    15 minutes ago, Nick L said:

So is tomorrow's deep low going to be named? With trees still in full leaf it could be disruptive across a large swathe of the country!

Don't know!

Models are all over the place with the track, the met office has warnings for the north of the country yet other forecasts take the worst of the winds across the south.

Posted

So we are off with #StormAileen for the 2017/18 season. Named this morning Tues 12th Sept about 0930, missing all breakfast bulletins

thread for Aileen 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

I personally think it's great. Storms are taken more seriously when they're named as you know it could cause problems. Yes, sometimes they get overhyped because they're named but in the whole I think it's great.

• Like 2
    Posted

I honestly don't see the problem with it.

now we've started naming storms, a lot of my friends and peers have taken an active interest in severe weather which can only be a good thing. 

Ive seen people say it trivialises how dangerous these things can be but I don't think that's the case. People are more likely to take a STORM BRUTUS seriously for example than the met office underplaying things by referring to it as just 'gales' or 'squally winds' 

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
    4 minutes ago, Azazel said:

I honestly don't see the problem with it.

now we've started naming storms, a lot of my friends and peers have taken an active interest in severe weather which can only be a good thing. 

Ive seen people say it trivialises how dangerous these things can be but I don't think that's the case. People are more likely to take a STORM BRUTUS seriously for example than the met office underplaying things by referring to it as just 'gales' or 'squally winds' 

I have changed my mind, Azazel: before it all started, I thought it was a plain silly idea (I've never had much truck with anthropomorphism.); now, however, it just seems like the normal way of doing things...I guess I was wrong!:D

• Like 1
    • 2 weeks later...
    Posted

Going to be interesting if an amber is issued for Sunday nights winds. Ex-Mari, Ex-Lee = #Maree ? 

Or just plain Brian https://www.netweather.tv/weather-forecasts/news/8458-stormy-end-to-the-weekend-hurricanes-hype-brian-mar-ee