Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

#NameOurStorms: is it a good idea?

Thunderbolt_

Should we keep the #NameOurStorms scheme?  

214 members have voted

1. 1. Should we keep the #NameOurStorms scheme?

• Yes, I like it!
    • No, it's a waste of time.
    • Not bothered.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

and to add to the ongoing fun, the Dutch are in it now. "This year the Met Office and Met Eireann will be joined by KNMI, the Dutch national weather forecasting service and together they will announce the new list of storm names for the 2019/2020 season in early September.  An equivalent naming scheme for southwest Europe has been operating since 2017, which includes France, Spain and Portugal.  The two schemes are designed to work closely together, with each group adopting the other group’s storm name. "

3007nameourstorm.png

• 1 month later...
Posted
6 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

2019/20 storm names revealed

So now a combination of Met Eireann (Ireland) UK Met Office and the Dutch national weather forecasting service, Royal Netherlands Meteorological Institute (KNMI). !  Spain Portugal and FRance name together already.

Posted
47 minutes ago, Jo Farrow said:

So now a combination of Met Eireann (Ireland) UK Met Office and the Dutch national weather forecasting service, Royal Netherlands Meteorological Institute (KNMI). !  Spain Portugal and FRance name together already.

So the French and the Iberians have their own names for next season storms?

Posted
33 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

So the French and the Iberians have their own names for next season storms?

Not sure when their season list is announced but yes, for example they named Emma, a low that came our way in the Beast from the East 2018

• Like 1

Posted

All about this season's names and the Southwest groups's list is out today. We are in West with UK Ireland and Netherlands. https://www.netweather.tv/weather-forecasts/news/9809-name-our-storms-for-201920-the-met-office-met-eireann-and-now-netherlands-knmi-list

0609stormnamesIR.png

1309stormnamesSW.png

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

And so we have #StormLorenzo. Just when you thought there couldn't be any more fun with Name OUR STORMS!

So if the remnants of a hurricane, say Hurricane Lorenzo move near enough to UK or Ireland that they are on the surface pressure charts , we might see ex-Lorenzo as a label

If however the remnants, extratropical low, are going to impact Ireland or the UK (or I suppose the Netherlands) then it becomes a named storm, not Atiyah but as always it keeps it's tropical name.

We are used to the consistent naming from a tropical name, but now the ex- can be dropped and we use Storm, that is now a thing. 

So Orange warning from Met Eireann for winds Thursday, = #StormLorenzo 

"Met Éireann named Storm Lorenzo on Wednesday morning, (the first named storm of the 2019/2020 season named after the hurricane it started as)"

0210stormlorenzo.png

Posted

So thinking back to 2017, Ophelia was a similar situation but with red warnings for Ireland, as it transitioned further north. Under this current naming it would have been known as Storm Ophelia

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/warnings-and-advice/uk-storm-centre/index

0210stormOphelia.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Is there a chance of dust being whipped up like what Ophelia did? That was quite a sight t o behold here, especially observing my solar radiation sensor.

These images weren't doctored, I just adjusted the camera setting at the time to match exactly what my eyes were seeing in terms of colour and light.

20171016_115031.thumb.jpg.e66e89663dcff501430c453865ffc5b2.jpg 20171017_103213.thumb.jpg.3eb3cdfab292e765f2121f56eac6636d.jpg

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰
59 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Is there a chance of dust being whipped up like what Ophelia did?

looks like a chance of some across parts of Ireland and possibly into the south west of England but doesn't look like anything major 054.thumb.gif.5d7cddf7f9cd9622405347082bfcd42c.gif 060.thumb.gif.16c46c087e983f9efa83eca3a0d83552.gif 048.thumb.gif.419ac39a9cb3d34995758e0eea2e0b2f.gif 861830068_054(1).thumb.gif.d477990813c4c1f1b28533b2330cf0e3.gif

• 4 weeks later...
Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Looks like we've scrapped the idea as today's system should have warranted a name.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

It certainly should've been. Last time I recorded these wind speeds was during the 2014 valentine's day storm. An amber warning should be out.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

If this storm isn’t named they must have scrapped it. These winds are far worse than anything I’ve experienced during actual named storms, been a long time since I’ve seen winds like this, standing on the seafront must be at least 70mph gusts maybe more, so inconsistent it’s unbelievable 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Hopefully, all the naming nonsense has finally come to an end. Perhaps now, we can get on with discussing the weather?:oldgood:

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

Beyond farcical.The whole warning system is a joke.Winds gusting beyond 80mph in places on a busy saturday with folk moving around.

We had an amber warning for thundery rain in the SE a few weeks back that dropped a maximum of 17mm locally and left a few large puddles.

It would appear the storm naming system is up and running looking at the M.O website, I'm sure we will be told somehow this system hasn't reached the criteria to name it!

Goalposts moving with this more frequently than the new VAR in football.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

This is reminding me VAR in the premier league where they have the pitch side monitors and point-blank refuse to use them here the met office have a naming system and also refuse to use it

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Looks like the met office have failed miserably again. And people wonder why the met take so much flack...

A quote from within the wind warning

"There is a slight chance of some damage to trees and buildings, such as tiles blown from roofs"

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted

I think with a system like this one, it's fairly tricky for the met office as it is almost a blink and you miss it type of affair. Plus the area of such strong winds is fairly small so does it really need to be named?

I think the naming of the storms is a good idea but not always well executed unfortunately. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow
8 minutes ago, Geordiesnow said:

I think with a system like this one, it's fairly tricky for the met office as it is almost a blink and you miss it type of affair. Plus the area of such strong winds is fairly small so does it really need to be named?

I think the naming of the storms is a good idea but not always well executed unfortunately. 

Exactly. Maybe the naming isn't a bad idea but the criteria for doing so is?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow
3 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

Looks like the met office have failed miserably again. And people wonder why the met take so much flack...

A quote from within the wind warning

"There is a slight chance of some damage to trees and buildings, such as tiles blown from roofs"

So is it a question that the forecast was just way off with the intensity? If they deem only to be a low risk wind speeds above a certain level, but then that low risk is realised, doesn't it say something more about the forecasting abilities than anything about whether naming storms is good idea? 

I can understand you wouldn't want to name every storm that is deemed to be a lower risk. You'd end up with the cry wolf effect. 

Edited by John90

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰
WWW.WEATHERONLINE.CO.UK

Peak gusts, Table: UK/Europe (2.11.2019) Current Observations
img.jpg
WWW.ITV.COM

Trees and scaffolding have been blown over leaving cars damaged and transport disrupted after high winds of more than 80mph hit...

• Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, Geordiesnow said:

The whole thing should be about the impact to life.. Consider a tornado warning, if it doesn't come off then fine, but NOT to issue a warning is ignoring the potential for loss of human life. In this instance the potential, however time restricted for impact to life existed, and yet no warnings were issued. Consider weeks before yellow warnings were issued and there was no immediate impact. These guys have millions of £'s worth of gear, but still they play with people's lives. Personally naming storms is ridiculous anyway, but not warning people to me is a crime, even local road signs down here yesterday had warnings posted for potential damage today, but the folks in Exeter figured "Nah, it's moving  so fast nobody will notice it". These guys should be held to account.