Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

#NameOurStorms: is it a good idea?

Thunderbolt_

Should we keep the #NameOurStorms scheme?  

214 members have voted

1. 1. Should we keep the #NameOurStorms scheme?

• Yes, I like it!
    • No, it's a waste of time.
    • Not bothered.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Overdosing with cringe reading that.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

We've only reached E so far this year, this whole alphabet thing seems surplus to requirement.  Use an ongoing list. Just use F in September (Fleur), nobody cares. 

OR create some hype with a twitter poll https://twitter.com/metoffice/status/1428675165609775105

0820Dstorm.png

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

New storm list, got up to E last year. F the year before

storms21.png

storms21mo.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.

The issue with the storm list IMO is that it's focused primarily on winds, and insufficiently on rain/snow. We've had some big rain (and occasionally snow, see March 2018) events down here which were arguably much more severe in this area than many of the named storms, but few were named.

Indeed, it's so much so that in a typical year the named storms are often not the most severe weather events. Take last August (2020) - we had four lows towards the end of the month, the first and last were the most notable for thunderstorms and heavy rain, but the middle two were named because they produced the highest winds. And it's the first and last I remember best.

Also it seems to be equally applied to anything that produces severe winds (e.g. a trough) rather than discrete lows. This just doesn't 'seem right', even if the impacts are significant. For instance towards the end of Jan 2014 we had a cold front which produced severe winds for 5 minutes, enough to bring parts of the rail network to a standstill. A severe event, yes - but not really a storm in the Oct 1987, Jan 1990 or St Judes 2013 sense.

I'd say that, to be named, it should impact the vast majority of the UK (for instance the Feb 2020 storms)

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy

If a stormy spell is only affecting the highlands or islands it probably shouldn't be named but if it's affecting the east of NI or the central belt then surely it should be named as there could be 1m + people in the area being affected. If we didn't name wind storms unless they affected the south east then there would only be 1 or 2 or none some years...

Edited by Ross90

Posted
2 hours ago, Summer8906 said:

The issue with the storm list IMO is that it's focused primarily on winds, and insufficiently on rain/snow. We've had some big rain (and occasionally snow, see March 2018) events down here which were arguably much more severe in this area than many of the named storms, but few were named.

Indeed, it's so much so that in a typical year the named storms are often not the most severe weather events. Take last August (2020) - we had four lows towards the end of the month, the first and last were the most notable for thunderstorms and heavy rain, but the middle two were named because they produced the highest winds. And it's the first and last I remember best.

Also it seems to be equally applied to anything that produces severe winds (e.g. a trough) rather than discrete lows. This just doesn't 'seem right', even if the impacts are significant. For instance towards the end of Jan 2014 we had a cold front which produced severe winds for 5 minutes, enough to bring parts of the rail network to a standstill. A severe event, yes - but not really a storm in the Oct 1987, Jan 1990 or St Judes 2013 sense.

I'd say that, to be named, it should impact the vast majority of the UK (for instance the Feb 2020 storms)

The Met Office have said that there needs to be a windstorm, a distinct low at the heart of the event, to get a name. Although all rules for naming a storm are able to be (and have been) broken. Desmond is the one held up as an example of a significant rain event and KMNI did name a snow one last year for the Netherlands. 

I'm happy for one affecting just the far north of Britain or the far south to be named but that it is done in good time. If this is a communication tool, don't announce it at 11pm or 10am, when its missed the main news broadcasts. 

It does seem that the whole #NameourStorms circus is becoming the main focus and celebration for social media announcements rather than the actual job of warning about severe weather in a clear, consistent way.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.
2 hours ago, Ross90 said:

If a stormy spell is only affecting the highlands or islands it probably shouldn't be named but if it's affecting the east of NI or the central belt then surely it should be named as there could be 1m + people in the area being affected. If we didn't name wind storms unless they affected the south east then there would only be 1 or 2 or none some years...

Any severe event definitely merits warnings, which should be well publicised - but, and this is perhaps my own idiosyncrasies coming across here - I think a named one needs to be a country-wide event, the sort of thing which will live on in most people's memories. Granted there would perhaps only be 1 or 2 of these per year - but if so I'd just keep the same name list in consecutive years.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy

That's a fair point actually... I really can't remember the majority of named storms. Only 3 really stand out and one of them was in 1998 with the other couple being almost 10 years ago. Unless it results in a red warning it tends to feel like just another windy day.

• Like 1

Posted
42 minutes ago, Summer8906 said:

Any severe event definitely merits warnings, which should be well publicised - but, and this is perhaps my own idiosyncrasies coming across here - I think a named one needs to be a country-wide event, the sort of thing which will live on in most people's memories. Granted there would perhaps only be 1 or 2 of these per year - but if so I'd just keep the same name list in consecutive years.

I think keeping going with the same list is fine, Central Pacific do that , have a circular list which just continues for hurricane names

• Like 1

Posted

SW Europe group names out today as well

Spain Portugal and France. So if a low has already been named by this grouping, then it keeps that name. Like Alex and Barbara last season which nicked in before Western Grouping "Aiden"

stormswestfrance.png

stormswestaemet.png

Edited by Jo Farrow
names

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I look forward to another Autumn/Winter of bizarre inconsistencies with storm naming. It's always good entertainment!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

Storm Corrie?

That's going to led to issues with tabloids surely? 

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Jo Farrow said:

SW Europe group names out today as well

Spain Portugal and France. So if a low has already been named by this grouping, then it keeps that name. Like Alex and Barbara last season which nicked in before Western Grouping "Aiden"

stormswestfrance.png

stormswestaemet.png

Alex from last season is definitely one which stands out due to its rain (if I remember right, its associated fronts moved west to east one day, then east to west again, then finally west to east once more, giving three consecutive days of significant rain) and one which I think would qualify unambiguously as a named storm. Also affected a huge area of western Europe, so definitely one of the stand-out systems of the entire season.

Can't recall Barbara significantly as there were a lot of lows and fronts during that week. The most memorable was the one which gave a lot of rain on the Saturday, probably due to being a weekend!

Surprised the France-Spain-Portugal group omits a 'Q' storm, as Q is a common letter in languages from that part of Europe.

Edited by Summer8906

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Posted

Having a forename that begins with a "Q", I do kinda feel hacked off that we get omitted, even if it wont reach that point in a bad winter, unless of course the parameters change...

• 2 months later...
Posted

Currently there is Storm #Blas in the western Med, which has been around for a few days, soaking Mallorca with an orange warning for Cote d'Azur on Monday, also affecting  Corsica and Sardinia. The Italian Met Service - National Center for Aeronautical Meteorology and Climatology (CNMCA) named Apollo in late October and issued an article about Storm naming. This lists all the countries with in the central Med group. http://www.meteoam.it/news/storm-naming-laeronautica-militare-nomina-le-perturbazioni-cicloniche-piu-intense

(VIA google translate) For the "Storm naming" project, Europe was divided into different groups of nations. Italy belongs to the "Central Mediterranean group", which includes Slovenia, Croatia, North Macedonia, Montenegro and Malta. The choice of names and the "baptism" of the disturbance takes place in coordination with the national meteorological services belonging to the group, formed by ARSO METEO (Slovenia), DHMZ (Croatia), YXMP (North Macedonia), the Airport Weather Office Malta International and IHMS (Montenegro). The names are, in alphabetical order, alternating genres: Apollo, Bianca, Ciril, Diana, Enea, Phaedra, Goran, Hera, Ivan, Lina, Marco, Nada, Ole, Pandora, Remo, Sandra, Teodor, Ursula, Vito and Zora, and can be used until August 31, 2022, when a new list valid for 2022/2023 will be published.

The CNMCA grants a proper name to an intense cyclonic disturbance if all of the following criteria are met: 1. No other European national meteorological service has already given a name; 2. Italy must be the first European nation to be interested in it; 3. According to what can be inferred from the conceptual models and numerical forecasting models used operationally, an area with a diameter of not less than 70-100 kilometers, a defined baric configuration and the intensity of one or more phenomena are associated with associated with it, corresponds to the threshold values used to issue warnings for intense meteorological phenomena corresponding at least to the color "orange". 

1116claswind.png

1116blassurface.png

• 2 months later...
Posted

I know recent weather has been coma inducing, so I have probably missed out what has been going on but how is it that a named storm is already up to M in the alphabet by the end of January? Wasn't the recent storm that hit Greece/Turkey,  named Elpis? 

Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
1 hour ago, Weather-history said:

I know recent weather has been coma inducing, so I have probably missed out what has been going on but how is it that a named storm is already up to M in the alphabet by the end of January? Wasn't the recent storm that hit Greece/Turkey,  named Elpis? 

I think Danish Met office named it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Surprises
3 hours ago, The PIT said:

I think Danish Met office named it.

yup.. I face-palmed earlier thinking they'd missed a few of the letters in a-n al-pha-bet - doh - <embarrassed emoticon> it's neve simple is it?

_123041167_tv043631751.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

The Met Office issues weather warnings for Scotland, Northern Ireland and northern England.

• 7 months later...
Posted

The new season list is out, announced from Met Office, Met Eireann & Netherlands KNMI.  Antoni Betty Cillian Daisy Elliot Fleur Glen Hendrika Íde Johanna Khalid Loes Mark Nelly Owain Priya Ruadhán Sam Tobias Val Wouter. How far will we get this time?

stormnamesEIRE2223crop.png
WWW.NETWEATHER.TV

A new list of storm names has been announced from the UK Met Office, Irish Met Eireann and the Netherlands KNMI. The list includes Daisy, Johanna, Khalid and Owain for impactful low pressures

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
On 01/09/2022 at 00:35, Summer Sun said:

2022/23 storm names 

20220901_003118.thumb.jpg.ee36dc9d6ec827d0b6b16c130aa12372.jpg

We never get through even half of them, why not just continue on from the previous list and use the whole list up? Would make more sense to me.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
Posted

Tempete Claudio named by MeteoFrance for a wild Halloween night through the English Channel. So a different group, the SW one rather than our western group.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Although a quiet year there has been some instances lately that I thought would have triggered a named storm and I would have thought warnings of up to 100mm rain in wales and north west england today would have qualified as well.

So has this been abondoned ?

Edited by The PIT