Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

#NameOurStorms: is it a good idea?

Thunderbolt_

Should we keep the #NameOurStorms scheme?  

214 members have voted

1. 1. Should we keep the #NameOurStorms scheme?

• Yes, I like it!
    • No, it's a waste of time.
    • Not bothered.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Personally, I think the same way of the storm-naming malarkey as I did when it was announced: it's yet another piece of pointless social-media fluff; IMO, as the old system wasn't broke, it never needed fixing...:oldrolleyes:

Edited by Ed Stone
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
1 hour ago, Paul said:

Ok, hands up - who would consider tomorrow's weather to be a proper winter storm? Rain, snow, gales, blizzard, ice - it definitely looks wintry and stormy to me with amber warnings now issued, but no name...

Definitely worthy of a name based on their own criteria for naming storms somseeks strange why they haven’t. I wonder if Met Éireann would’ve named it if it was affecting them more as they seem less hesitant to name storms. 

Edited by matt111

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I think even the Met Office have given up on this farce now.

Posted

Hahahaha. I can just see the scenes in Exeter..."Oh crap, we forgot to name it! Quick! Put out a press release at half 10!"

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

What's the point in naming it now? Surely if naming was to raise awareness now is hardly going to make any difference. 

• Like 1

Posted

In all seriousness. The whole point of naming these things is to raise awareness, so people can prepare. What on Earth are they thinking? What can people possibly do at half 10 on a Friday night, hours before the event? Most people will be in bed and/or inebriated. I try to defend the Met Office when I can as fellow professionals, but what an utter joke.

Edit: I suppose it's the Irish Met to blame here, but it should have been named long before this.

Edited by Nick L
  • Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Nick L said:

In all seriousness. The whole point of naming these things is to raise awareness, so people can prepare. What on Earth are they thinking? What can people possibly do at half 10 on a Friday night, hours before the event? Most people will be in bed and/or inebriated. I try to defend the Met Office when I can as fellow professionals, but what an utter joke.

Edit: I suppose it's the Irish Met to blame here, but it should have been named long before this.

It's not as if it's suddenly come out of nowhere since even TV forecasts have been mentioning it for a few days with the warnings being issued well in advance. 

Posted

Saying that it appears Met Éireann have only just upgraded their warning so presumably that's why they've just named it. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms

Wasn’t it last winter our Met Office seemed to always wait for the Irish met to name it? Maybe just seemed like it. Does seem odd to name it now. Has there been an unexpected change in the observations in the last hour I wonder? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Absolute farce. Proper winter storm yesterday- severe gales, rain, snow, freezing rain, ice  = dangerous conditions in some of the worst and treacherous weather types. It got named at 10:30pm on a Friday night ahead of a busy weekend in the run up to Christmas, what use was that?! They need to bury this storm naming system. 

Edited by DisruptiveGust
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
On 14/12/2018 at 22:48, Nick L said:

It wouldn't surprise me if the person who came-up with the idea was inebriated at the time...:drunk:

Edited by Ed Stone

Posted

@Jo Farrow wrote a blog about this earlier. 

A wretched Saturday in the run up to Christmas. The late named #StormDeirdre

Personally, having been a fan of the idea initially, I'm now of the opinion that unless the Met Office can apply some common sense to it, then it needs binning. 

• Like 2

Posted
4 hours ago, Paul said:

@Jo Farrow wrote a blog about this earlier. 

A wretched Saturday in the run up to Christmas. The late named #StormDeirdre

Personally, having been a fan of the idea initially, I'm now of the opinion that unless the Met Office can apply some common sense to it, then it needs binning. 

Good read. 

I thought it was a good idea at the time as storms were being given names on social media or by certain media outlets anyway but the way they’ve gone about doing it hasn’t really done them any favours. Too inconsistent and then you end up with situations like the other night with Deirdre being named when it’s far too late for it to have the desired effect. 

Edited by matt111

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

It is just a mystery. i have STV next week so I can inquire what the thinking was about no name from UK Met Office. 

The UK Met Office Storm Centre isn't even being updated, "out of hours"   No storms here

1612stormnames.png

• Like 1

Posted

As far as I'm aware these are the systems that have been named by various Met agencies that have hit some part of the U.K. regardless the strength of the system when it hit the UK since the start of Autumn. 

Helene, Ali, Bronagh, Callum, Diana, Etienne, Deirdre

Posted
4 hours ago, Jo Farrow said:

It is just a mystery. i have STV next week so I can inquire what the thinking was about no name from UK Met Office. 

The UK Met Office Storm Centre isn't even being updated, "out of hours"   No storms here

1612stormnames.png

I think this just adds to the suggestion that the Met Office are basically done with the system.

It's a good idea in principle I suppose, but the execution of it has been shambolic and pointless.

Posted

A few days on and still didn’t happen according to this. 

B423A026-10CA-4EF6-A08E-EBE7FE41DAD7.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Just shows they’ve given up. The UKMET could’ve named Deirdre given the amount of yellow + amber warnings issued and the impacts over wide areas of the country. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

I think if storms are going to be named they have to be very severe  other wise we’re just naming every single gust of wind or raindrop...

• 2 months later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

What happens if Met Eireann start to issue wind warnings for Saturday's winds, linked to the low pressure away to the NW. Could that be #StormGareth arriving before #StormFreya on Sunday?

0103satgust.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
5 hours ago, Jo Farrow said:

What happens if Met Eireann start to issue wind warnings for Saturday's winds, linked to the low pressure away to the NW. Could that be #StormGareth arriving before #StormFreya on Sunday?

0103satgust.png

What confusion and a mess that would be, would that mean we skip a letter in the naming or have 2 different names for the same storm?

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

You won't get two different names for the same storm. However we may get stormy weather which isn't named and this has already happened named storms for just a normal event.