Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

#NameOurStorms: is it a good idea?

Thunderbolt_

Should we keep the #NameOurStorms scheme?  

214 members have voted

1. 1. Should we keep the #NameOurStorms scheme?

• Yes, I like it!
    • No, it's a waste of time.
    • Not bothered.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
10 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

TBH I think this whole storm-naming malarkey is a load of nonsense; 'a vigorous depression with possibly storm-force winds' always sufficed, the past. So I don't know what purpose naming things has...And, the way the Daily Excreta's going, it'll be naming Storm Zachariah this side of Christmas!

According to them, how many ‘hurricanes’ have we had this year? 

Edited by matt111

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

So what happens to the name Deirdre?

Diana comes after Deirdre in alphabetical order, so the next storm assuming there is another one this season and if the Met Office does actually get the chance to name it, it has to be Erik? Assuming theyeven bother to name it at that 

If you are confused then welcome to the cockeyed world of storm naming.

Edited by Weather-history

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Diana will still be used by the MetO as far as i'm aware, just not Tuesday's one as the Portuguese got there first.

I agree though, the whole thing is a mess!

Edit: I meant Deidre will still be used. 

Edited by Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

I saw a comment earlier saying there should be a centralised naming system across Europe but they still wouldn't use it as they would want names local to each country.

So we have confusion with what name to use added to the inconsistencies on when they name a storm. 

Posted
17 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Diana will still be used by the MetO as far as i'm aware, just not Tuesday's one as the Portuguese got there first.

I agree though, the whole thing is a mess!

Edit: I meant Deidre will still be used. 

I think that all storms should be called Cockeye Bob, that's what the Aussies call them. Sounds like the person who came up with this system as well!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

So 2 of the 5 named storms this season haven't come from the UKMO naming list

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Storms are generally getting named far too easily naming should only be given to the most intense ones that cross the UK take storm *david* in January this year for an example that was an actual storm that should of been named but it wasn't then was adopted the name that France gave it but it was a difficult one to forecast.. it was more severe than most if not all of the storms from last winter such as the damp squib Aileen this is ofcourse my view so please respect that.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Well Friday into Saturday looks interesting will this get named.

Posted
7 minutes ago, The PIT said:

Well Friday into Saturday looks interesting will this get named.

The Chilean Weather Service are naming it.

• Like 1

Posted

Wednesday's system has been named Etienne by the Portuguese. This is getting pretty funny now.

Posted
18 hours ago, Nick L said:

Wednesday's system has been named Etienne by the Portuguese. This is getting pretty funny now.

Erm there's nothing of note on Wednesday. I guess Fridays is therefore going to be called Armageddon and the world is going to end.  Tis getting rather stupid  this naming of systems when most of the time they are nondescript events. Perhaps there should be a system where they can only be named if one or more are likely to be met. Say the winds gust over 50 mph or more lasting for 8hrs plus, or rainfall is going to be above 40mm or Snow fall six inches or more.

• Like 2

Posted

When did the Portuguese start naming storms? I don't remember them doing it before Emma affected us last winter.

Posted

Unless they have a uniform system across Europe for this kind of thing, with the same criteria then it's just a joke. I mean, even the same system between the UK and Irish Met have different criteria, there's no hope! It's an unnecessary confusion.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

The local media up here have decided to confuse folk by falsely naming Deidre on the headline only when you read through it states "A spokesman for The Weather Channel said: “Based on the current forecast, it is possible that this storm will be named by the UK Met Office and Irish Met Éireann as Storm Deirdre, with high winds and surface flooding possible"

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/storm-deidre-hits-uk-bringing-15507674?ref=BNTMedia&utm_medium=twitter

Just now, Summer Sun said:

The local media up here have decided to confuse folk by falsely naming Deidre on the headline only when you read through it states "A spokesman for The Weather Channel said: “Based on the current forecast, it is possible that this storm will be named by the UK Met Office and Irish Met Éireann as Storm Deirdre, with high winds and surface flooding possible"

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/storm-deidre-hits-uk-bringing-15507674?ref=BNTMedia&utm_medium=twitter

I think you should  name them SS

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
2 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

I think you should  name them SS

Better still... we should just scrap this naming system and go back to the old days

• Like 1

Posted

The invention of social media meant the old system of not naming storms at all still ended up with some storms being unofficially named. Of course there was no criteria and no list of names to use so there wasn’t any confusion there. 

Edited by matt111

Posted

So todays system remains unnamed keeping the confused system going.

Posted

Ok, hands up - who would consider tomorrow's weather to be a proper winter storm? Rain, snow, gales, blizzard, ice - it definitely looks wintry and stormy to me with amber warnings now issued, but no name...

• Like 3

Posted
20 minutes ago, Paul said:

Ok, hands up - who would consider tomorrow's weather to be a proper winter storm? Rain, snow, gales, blizzard, ice - it definitely looks wintry and stormy to me with amber warnings now issued, but no name...

Yes. It's such a shame that there's no consistency as the naming system isn't a bad idea at the fundamental level. 

I didn't even know there was a yellow warning out for my area tomorrow as no notifications came through on any of my devices.