Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

#NameOurStorms: is it a good idea?

Thunderbolt_

Should we keep the #NameOurStorms scheme?  

214 members have voted

1. 1. Should we keep the #NameOurStorms scheme?

• Yes, I like it!
    • No, it's a waste of time.
    • Not bothered.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

when you think what is about to hit the U.S, I think if we must name our storms then they need stronger criteria - a little bit of wind and rain shouldn't cut it - and the fact other countries have their own names makes the whole thing a mockery.

Should be used for very severe weather to warn the public, not something that is made a game. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
7 minutes ago, Dami said:

when you think what is about to hit the U.S, I think if we must name our storms then they need stronger criteria - a little bit of wind and rain shouldn't cut it - and the fact other countries have their own names makes the whole thing a mockery.

Should be used for very severe weather to warn the public, not something that is made a game. 

I don't think our storms are severe frequently enough to warrant naming. I mean, how often do we get a storm that causes widespread significant damage and numerous fatalities? It's just become a crying wolf naming system, and a confusing one at that.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Not really needed, Just issue warnings for wind like any other kind of severe weather to raise awareness, the real difficulty with issuing warnings in the UK in my opinion is the actual wording of the criteria, Red means danger to life but technically a yellow warning for wind could still mean significant enough wind to kill 1 person - just needs a loose tile in a regulation severe gale force gust which we get every single autumn and it to land on someone's dumpling from a great height and wallop - game over!, That's the tricky part IMO.

The naming is superfluous.

Edited by feb1991blizzard

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie
3 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Not really needed, Just issue warnings for wind like any other kind of severe weather to raise awareness, the real difficulty with issuing warnings in the UK in my opinion is the actual wording of the criteria, Red means danger to life but technically a yellow warning for wind could still mean significant enough wind to kill 1 person - just needs a loose tile in a regulation severe gale force gust which we get every single autumn and it to land on someone's dumpling from a great height and wallop - game over!, That's the tricky part IMO.

The naming is superfluous.

The Met Office have now removed those text bits, like Danger to life. They want the message that all levels are about Severe weather  and the potential impacts

• Thanks 1

Posted
22 minutes ago, Nick L said:

I don't think our storms are severe frequently enough to warrant naming. I mean, how often do we get a storm that causes widespread significant damage and numerous fatalities? It's just become a crying wolf naming system, and a confusing one at that.

Maybe the warnings are working then? and people are adjusting their behaviour, so lives are being saved? There are difficulties with the project but I like it and I think that it is a useful tool to communicate the weather story. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
1 minute ago, Jo Farrow said:

The Met Office have now removed those text bits, like Danger to life. They want the message that all levels are about Severe weather  and the potential impacts

Right. Thanks, I always thought it needed tweaking, last year there were a lot of changes made, those warnings are gradually getting better, at one time the whole of a region would change colour even if a tiny bit of the region had any chance of being affected - much better these days, the warnings areas are hand drawn and much more detail on hazards and likelihood.

Posted
3 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Right. Thanks, I always thought it needed tweaking, last year there were a lot of changes made, those warnings are gradually getting better, at one time the whole of a region would change colour even if a tiny bit of the region had any chance of being affected - much better these days, the warnings areas are hand drawn and much more detail on hazards and likelihood.

The explanations for each level are now very wordy, I have to catch myself on telly to NOT say Be Aware, Be Prepared etc. Finally got the lingo and then it went. https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/guide/weather/warnings 

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, Jo Farrow said:

Maybe the warnings are working then? and people are adjusting their behaviour, so lives are being saved? There are difficulties with the project but I like it and I think that it is a useful tool to communicate the weather story. 

In principle it is a decent idea. But it has been executed terribly. If anything, last winter it just added confusion instead of making things clearer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.
1 hour ago, Nick L said:

That's my point. Only name if it is really necessary and by that I mean something bad so the public take note that it's going to be bad. Therefore used very rarely.

2 hours ago, Dami said:

That's my point. Only name if it is really necessary and by that I mean something bad so the public take note that it's going to be bad. Therefore used very rarely.

If think winterstorms should be catagorised like hurricanes as it would lead to better preparedness 

• Like 1

Posted

If the Met Office pulled out I presume Met Eireann would just name them anyway. Don't see why they would, naming storms is not unusual around the world now.

Storm Emma this year was named by the Portuguese.

Posted

Article https://www.netweather.tv/weather-forecasts/news/9135-storms-idris-kevin-and-peggy-uk-and-ireland-storm-names-revealed-for-201819

including all lists from previous years.. Bronagh  Bro-na    Niamh   Neev    Saoirse Seersha

stormnames1819.png

Edited by Jo Farrow
pronounciation of a few names

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy

Ooh first time i've seen my name on the list although it would need to be a very stormy winter to get anywhere near it. 

Posted

So there was ex-HUrricane Ophelia  https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/barometer/uk-storm-centre/uk-storm-season-2017-18 

Helene is being labelled #StormHelene or ex-Tropical Storm Helene, why not ex Hurricane Helene, it was a hurricane once

Is it just to fit in with the #StormNames story of this week? 

• Like 1

Posted

No Amber just yet but stormy conditions looking very likely on Wednesday for Scotland, also gales for Northern Ireland, northern England and north Wales. 

Still not ideal timing announcing at 0840am

#StormAli has been named 

Confusion over the #StormHelene, not being stormy (very windy yes but stormy?). Should this have stayed as ex-Helene

and going back to 'A' tomorrow, 

• 1 month later...
Posted

So the media are now banding "Storm Adrian" about as it has been named by the French met service. Does this mean that it won't be named by the Met Office? The farce resumes.

• Like 3

Posted
4 hours ago, Nick L said:

So the media are now banding "Storm Adrian" about as it has been named by the French met service. Does this mean that it won't be named by the Met Office? The farce resumes.

Why cant we just not keep things seperate from each met organisation so just say if todays low was deeper and further westwards then it would be named  storm Deidrie instead of all this malarkey we have at the moment. The UK met and Irish Met should have the same criteria also really as of course whatever hits Ireland will hit mainland UK also.

How something so simple on paper is actually quite complicated seems ridiculas too me.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

50mph+ gusts likely inland late tomorrow and overnight, 60mph over coasts. Surprised it's not being named...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
16 minutes ago, Nick L said:

50mph+ gusts likely inland late tomorrow and overnight, 60mph over coasts. Surprised it's not being named...

I was wondering that earlier, seems the inconsistencies continue.

And yes as usual, the Express has unofficially named it anyway which doesn't help.

Edited by matt111

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

And now several others have joined in unofficially naming it. There’s even an amber warning now.

Posted
1 hour ago, matt111 said:

And now several others have joined in unofficially naming it. There’s even an amber warning now.

Yep an amber warning for rain for south west Wales, thankfully i'm in south east wales and live on a big hill   

Edited by coldie

Posted

The main issues for me are both the inconsistency of it and the number of media outlets, mainly papers of course, that unofficially name the storms beforehand meaning people start using the name prematurely which causes confusion if and when the name is actually used. 

Edited by matt111

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

TBH I think this whole storm-naming malarkey is a load of nonsense; 'a vigorous depression with possibly storm-force winds' always sufficed, the past. So I don't know what purpose naming things has...And, the way the Daily Excreta's going, it'll be naming Storm Zachariah this side of Christmas!:wallbash:

Edited by Ed Stone
Oops!
  • Like 2