Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Atlantic Storm #3 - Clodagh

Liam J

Posted

I hear of gusts over 100mph in parts of Denmark according to the BBC weather forecasts. Is it me or do they often seem to deepen for the low countries or Denmark area even though it's supposed to be the one weather type we're 'better' at.

I'm thinking of St Jude's day, and other occasions they've been hit harder recently. I seem to remember Jan 2007 being really bad for Germany too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

I hear of gusts over 100mph in parts of Denmark according to the BBC weather forecasts. Is it me or do they often seem to deepen for the low countries or Denmark area even though it's supposed to be the one weather type we're 'better' at.

I'm thinking of St Jude's day, and other occasions they've been hit harder recently. I seem to remember Jan 2007 being really bad for Germany too.

If they are still deepening after leaving here like those two were, it happens, most start filling as they come over us though. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Yep, like I said above in the wee hours, Clodagh (named #Gorm in Scandinavia) was still deepening as it headed east over the N Sea, 10mb drop in 6 hrs, 165 km/h (103mph) gust recorded in Denmark, top ten gusts yesterday in Denmark, all low-lying:

• Like 1

Posted

Yes it seems in recent years that at least for southern areas (if my memory is correct, without trawling through archive charts) most storms tend to peak out in the Atlantic and start to fill before drifting across the UK like you'd expect, but with a secondary less frequent pattern/path where lows deepen as they cross the UK to hit the near continent more strongly (maybe the effects of an increased temp gradient across Europe than the eastern Atlantic?), with, I think, none being at peak strength for southern England recently.

However I expect it's probably more just the random nature of storms over recent years than my hypothetical suggestion!

• Like 1