Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Your Favourite Time of Day For Snowfall

84 members have voted

1. 1. What's Your Preferred Time of Day For Snow To Fall?

• Morning
    • Afternoon
    • Evening
    • Night
    • Anytime during the daylight hours
    • Anytime during the night
    • Don't mind whether it snows during the day or at night
    • Seriously dude, don't even like the darn white stuff

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Greetings all! :hi:

Just pretty much as the title says really, what is your favourite period in the day for snow to fall? Does it have to be at night time, or sometime during the day? Or even both?

Although I'm not too bothered about which time of day it snows, generally prefer when snow falls during daylight hours - specifically, I love it when snow starts falling in the afternoon. I love the feeling of anticipation when I have to get up early and know there's some great white surprises to look forward to later on in the day.

Now there might be some disadvantages when it snows during the day - the snow might not settle as well and could be more marginal, unless the setup is suitable for snow to accumulate easily when it's not dark outside. For example, an unstable Easterly sourced all the way from Scandinavia which swamps the UK in -10*C 850 hPa temperatures along with heavy snow showers that then provide good dumpings of the white stuff in the day. However, the reason for preferring it to snow in the daytime is you don't have to keep starring at the lampposts or outdoor lights to see the snow falling, plus, for me, it's just much clearer to see. Something pretty about the way the snowflakes fall to the ground against the trees, the fields and the buildings in the background with the blurry, grey, clouds up above giving the setting a majestical sort of feel to it. I suspect the other reason for this is down to the fact that regardless of whether the snow settles or not, I just like watching it fall. Additionally don't have to worry about being tired doing some secret missions the next day (unless it's a day off from work), if I've spent all night doing some snowflake spotting. :p

Wouldn't say, though, that I don't enjoy it when it snows overnight, but just that it personally doesn't compare to when snow falls during the day, even though it can cause inconvenience for those travelling to places. But there are some aspects about night-time snow that still make it great: other than cases where marginality gets in the way or if the snow is far too light, it can accumulate well overnight and it makes things feel festive. It's a nice surprise when you pull back the curtains and see deep snow outside. And then just thinking to yourself "oh my goodness me!".

Anyway, without trying to ramble on too much, what would be your preferred period for snow in the day? :)

post-10703-0-36959700-1448197424_thumb.j

Edited by DiagonalRedLine
Trying to add a poll

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

I can't say. Hard call.

It's magical to wake up to a covering of snow in the morning, but I like how snow muffles the sound during the day.

If it's during the Christmas period, snowfall at night with the decorations and lights feels magical.

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

I suppose the evening time or during the night simply because of a better chance of the snow settling compared to say the late morning or early afternoon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Deffo overnight, something magical about snow falling silently through the night and waking up to a covering. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

In the morning. Nothing like waking up to a world of white. :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

At night, nothing better than lamp post watching :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I don't really mind when it comes down; away from major conurbations, any snow worth its name will settle, anyway?? :D

Posted

...away from major conurbations, any snow worth its name will settle, anyway?? :D

I guess that's true.

The overnight snowfall that occurred here during Saturday morning, for example, was almost worth it's name - almost, in that the settling snow soon melted afterwards and it could have done being a bit deeper. But then again, with it being November, suppose you can't expect too much. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

My favourite is evening into the night, so you can enjoy it falling in daylight, then through dusk and finally at night. It seems more magical that way to me, but seeing as I only had one choice, I put evening.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

I like it start snowing around 5pm then throughout the evening and over night. I like feeling warm and cosy indoors knowing it's snowing outside and i've got a warming stew or casserole bubbling in the oven.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I don't know why, but the latest post I can bring up here is 17:22???

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

I don't know why, but the latest post I can bring up here is 17:22???

my times are 1 hour out, not sure how to change times on here, it says on mine you posted that at 20.07 Ed, but surely it was 21.07

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow

One thing I don't like about it snowing during the day time is that there are more people about ruining the precious snow lol. At least at night time you can get more of a pristine covering.

• Like 1

Posted

As in February 1991, 3pm onwards oops that was temps diving rapidly wrong subject.

Depends how cold it is,if it thaws as soon as it lands its not much use in the daytime,nice to see it fall though,not that wet stuff though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

I went for daytime probably because of how it turns everything very quiet (when the snow is heavy) as people are either at home or stuck in traffic. That not a positive aspect I know but if your at home the peace and quiet is great for someone like me who lives on a busier road.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Interesting weather

Evening or overnight, best thing apart from getting to see it fall is waking up with your bedroom too bright for the time on the clock, and the hush outside. Lovely memories :-)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Generally mid-afternoon onwards. I love seeing snow fall during the daylight hours but don't want so much that it causes problems getting home, then snowing all night and waking up to 25cm+ the following morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Im not too fussy as its that rare here but waking up to snow is just fantastic, the only time i jump out of bed within seconds of waking up is when i can see its snowed.

• Like 2

Posted

Im not too fussy as its that rare here but waking up to snow is just fantastic, the only time i jump out of bed within seconds of waking up is when i can see its snowed.

Pretty much the same. Morning snow is usually one of the reasons that would prevent me having a lie-in in the mornings (lol). (Unless it's not a day off).

• Like 1

Posted

Early evening a nice Yorkshire brew the Yorkshire regional thread discussion and a browse of the model discussion thread hoping the snow won't melt anytime soon!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

doesn't matter nor do I care..snow falling does not even register these days..just like rain I take no notice...the novelty of snow has gone never to return.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Daytime heavy snow showers are always fun to experience. For proper settling snow, late evening and through the night is good as in the morning there will be a nice pristine layer. As soon as the vast hordes of brats trample over every available square inch making everything look just hideous then I want it all gone. I hate 'messy' snow and slush. Think I should move to somewhere rural....!

• Like 1