Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring moans, ramps, chat and banter

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Never experienced desert heat but have experienced dry heat in Spain - no, I didn't find it 'more bearable' than in the UK. I don't think I've ever felt truly uncomfortable in the UK due to heat. Even the 33C last year didn't feel too bad to me - except when I was on the bus with loads of other people. Then again, I've never been sunburnt here either while I see people walking around with lobster red skin. Only ever been burnt once in my life and that was in Spain.

Sorry, but there are very few circumstances where I would find 25C unbearable, let alone worse than 35C+ temps. Only exception would be in low latitude climates where the sun is very strong but that is certainly not the case here.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

1 hour ago, cheese said:

Never experienced desert heat but have experienced dry heat in Spain - no, I didn't find it 'more bearable' than in the UK. I don't think I've ever felt truly uncomfortable in the UK due to heat. Even the 33C last year didn't feel too bad to me - except when I was on the bus with loads of other people. Then again, I've never been sunburnt here either while I see people walking around with lobster red skin. Only ever been burnt once in my life and that was in Spain.

Sorry, but there are very few circumstances where I would find 25C unbearable, let alone worse than 35C+ temps. Only exception would be in low latitude climates where the sun is very strong but that is certainly not the case here.

Well that maybe the case for you but not most people I speak to over the years or it would seem folk on here either. And you have never been sunburnt in the UK? I find that hard to believe unless you have very olive skin to begin with or are an infant. Yes we are a long way north but this is not Northern Scandinavia or Siberia, the sun still has a good kick to it. A UV of 6 at this time of year is enough to burn for most white people if you go out in the sun between 11am and 3pm. I am of Italian origin with roots in Sicily but can still burn a bit and tan.

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
1 hour ago, cheese said:

Everybody to their own opinion,you must be very lucky in you tolerance to heat and the effects of the sun,the vast majority are not so lucky. Uv can burn at any temperature,purely a skin type issue,some people find 25ish plus the max to be comfortable. And how you can state 33c in this country is not to bad especially for sleeping is very strange to me!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Latest GFS a bit of a horror show, troughing sat over the UK 'til the end of the run. Yawn. Although on a positive note, the vile gales have disappeared for the weekend thankfully. Can't be doing with that crap now the trees are in leaf.

Edited by stainesbloke

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot

I'm fair skinned and freckled all over however I use my sunlamp over the winter and start sunbathing outdoors in March (weather permitting) so I can withstand the mid-day sun during the summer months without burning.

On a different tack, I hope that persistent  cold NW breeze we've endured over previous springs and summers doesn't materialise.  Looking at the next few days it already appears to be the start of an incursion of PM air. So far May here has up to now seen very cold sub-10C nights, cold winds with maximum temps below 16C.  There have been very few notable exceptions.

Posted

With the onset of summer due just hoping for a varied and proper summer for once,though chances are this is just a pipe dream. Just a bit for everybody would be a change and not this awful run of stagnant weather setups which have been the norm for to long. We all love the weather,everybodies ideal will vary but that's the interesting point surely?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

Today felt more like Autumn here then late spring ,dull and cloudy with a max temp of only 12.5c.

Posted

Sunless today, taster of what will be a gloomy bank holiday of North Sea grot here, charts getting greyer with each update!! bored of it now, always same old.

Edited by conor123

Posted

We had a max of only 10.2C today, which is extremely low for this late in the season. If the models are anything to go by, the upcoming 7-10 day period looks pretty dire here near to the east coast.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
8 hours ago, conor123 said:

Sunless today, taster of what will be a gloomy bank holiday of North Sea grot here, charts getting greyer with each update!! bored of it now, always same old.

somehow think more than north sea misty low cloud! heavy rain 7am to 6pm

Posted

So, its looking like one trough is going to throw the settled start to june outa the window, you have to laugh really, its normally a trough coming from the west with our name on it, the troughs coming out of europe also have blighty written all over them too...

And where the heck has all this massive northern blocking come from???

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
5 hours ago, northwestsnow said:

So, its looking like one trough is going to throw the settled start to june outa the window, you have to laugh really, its normally a trough coming from the west with our name on it, the troughs coming out of europe also have blighty written all over them too...

And where the heck has all this massive northern blocking come from???

just think if it was Dec to Jan, the blocking would be over Spain eastwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

A depressing spring ,very little in the way of warm sunny days ,those we have had were spoilt by a cold wind,supposed to be dry today and it has rained most of it !

Posted

Personally not a bad spring for me,just about coping with the old hayfever thanks to the lower pollen levels due to mixed weather. I'm sure many are frustrated,don't be downcast it will get better and my discomfort will increase! 

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

It looks like the first third of June will end up being quite dry and warm (sunny too in the west especially) however i must say that the models are only reinforcing my fears from a few days ago in that this pattern can't be sustainable. Getting summer weather from the lucky placement of a stretch of northern blocking is not something that comforts me. Either retrogression will occur or the Atlantic will strengthen and bring about a more classic N/S pattern. 

gefs_z500a_5d_nh_49.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair Weather, Snow, Thunderstorms

GFS can't seem to make it's mind up about next weekend, down to a max temp of 12c from 20c in the latest run :cc_confused:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Will this godforsaken easterly ever disappear? Getting tired of grey-laden skies. Bring back the Atlantic!

Edited by cheese