Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring moans, ramps, chat and banter

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
1 hour ago, March said:

The problem is that you can't take the temps at face value. We've already had quite a number of lovely days that may only say 14-16 in the data but in the glorious sunshine feels wonderful. Today is such a day. There really hasn't been much "cold" to speak of. 

Yes, looks like you have a lovely Spring Day across much of the Kingdom with temps around 13c.or so and light winds, must feel very nice. There is no doubt that a late cold spell is imminent with single all day digit temps by Monday.  Lets hope it warms up sooner than later after next week.

C

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

It's laughable how all of a sudden the cold seems to make its way to the uk so easily and pretty much only at the UK. A pattern likely to be hard to shift I feel. :(

But today is the best day of the year so far. Wall to wall sun and very pleasant. Sunbathing time. :D

Edited by Costa Del Fal
  • Like 1

Posted

What a fantastic day :)

MY favourite type of weather, fine, cool, clear and with low humidity (currently 52% in London, would prefer to be at Las Vegas levels) today and if only it would continue for the next month or two.

Plenty of time for that irritating heat and humidity later.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Yes Costa, Even I've set the garden furniture up, Tis a lovely afternoon in the sun. The sky is about as blue as it can get here.

20160420_130225.jpg

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 1

Posted
21 hours ago, March said:

The problem is that you can't take the temps at face value. We've already had quite a number of lovely days that may only say 14-16 in the data but in the glorious sunshine feels wonderful. Today is such a day. There really hasn't been much "cold" to speak of. 

21 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

Exactly, the strengthening sun means it feels very pleasant out. Plus quite a large chunk of Europe will be chilly, not just us. Benelux look like being battered by gales. Could be worse for Blighty. Only downside is the forecast frosts, could do without those now.

So true. I made the mistake on my commute home around the M25 last night of wearing my jacket in the car. Oops - gorgeous sunshine the whole way, and while I was stuck in queues it was streaming in the driver side window and cooking me in my little Aygo with no A/C. It was window down and hope for some traffic movement to help cool down.

20 hours ago, carinthian said:

Yes, looks like you have a lovely Spring Day across much of the Kingdom with temps around 13c.or so and light winds, must feel very nice. There is no doubt that a late cold spell is imminent with single all day digit temps by Monday.  Lets hope it warms up sooner than later after next week.

C

Indeed it was a gorgeous day yesterday. Being topped today, and looks look a repeat for tomorrow before the cold sinks in from Friday onwards. Hopefully just a short blip, and then back into the steadily warming weather.

Me personally, even this late in the season I don't mind some snow. Having grown up in Australia, I didn't see much of it as a youngster. So now I take it wherever, and whenever, I can get it. Current Netweather forecast for my area is suggesting we might get some very early Sunday morning ... thankfully right at the time my little boy is waking us up wanting a feed, so I may even be awake to see it. Assuming it shows up, having had an entire winter of Netweather teasing me with high probability snow forecasts from a few days out that subsequently disappear a day later!

Posted
3 hours ago, stodge said:

What a fantastic day :)

MY favourite type of weather, fine, cool, clear and with low humidity (currently 52% in London, would prefer to be at Las Vegas levels) today and if only it would continue for the next month or two.

Plenty of time for that irritating heat and humidity later.

Funny you should say that, I've just come back from Vegas. The last day I was there (Friday) it was very windy (sun loungers were getting blown into the pool, it was carnage) cloudy and actually not all that warm; by Northern England or Southern Nevada standards.

Posted
8 minutes ago, March Blizzard said:

Funny you should say that, I've just come back from Vegas. The last day I was there (Friday) it was very windy (sun loungers were getting blown into the pool, it was carnage) cloudy and actually not all that warm; by Northern England or Southern Nevada standards.

Can be very windy there - no question. I was there at Christmas - sunny by day, freezing cold at night. Snow on the nearby mountains - more than most in England saw I imagine and then Boxing Day on the High Roller and incredible views.

Hope you were staying somewhere nice on The Strip.

Posted
20 hours ago, Audaxian said:

Assuming it shows up, having had an entire winter of Netweather teasing me with high probability snow forecasts from a few days out that subsequently disappear a day later!

Ha ha ... called it. What was originally a "70%" chance of snow at some point between midnight and 4am on Sunday, is now showing as jolly cold but clear with no chance of precipitation of any sort.

Really looking forward to the lovely Arctic air next week, good weather to be out and about in, even though this week has been fresh and not warm, colder weather is always welcome. :D

A real lack of any warmth this Spring, sorry but 13C/14C max's 4C mins widely isn't warm when the days are as long as August, this would be a cold spell then.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms
49 minutes ago, Eugene said:

Really looking forward to the lovely Arctic air next week, good weather to be out and about in, even though this week has been fresh and not warm, colder weather is always welcome. :D

A real lack of any warmth this Spring, sorry but 13C/14C max's 4C mins widely isn't warm when the days are as long as August, this would be a cold spell then.

Not sure April and August can be compared like for like when in April the continent and land masses are re warming after the winter. Thermal lag of the oceans etc too. The seas around us have just passed their coldest point. Besides was 15/16c yesterday and that was lovely in the strong sunshine. Perfectly average if not slightly above average conditions. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
3 hours ago, Eugene said:

Totally agree,colder weather is so much more useable and refreshing,hate those vile summer months waking up to 18plus degress c at 4am with the light streaming in your window,very very unpleasant. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms
9 minutes ago, markyo said:

Totally agree,colder weather is so much more useable and refreshing,hate those vile summer months waking up to 18plus degress c at 4am with the light streaming in your window,very very unpleasant.

Maybe its more usable for you but im sure a trip to the beach of the local park next week will confirm that the majority of the population would prefer warm and sunny for getting out and about. Cool northerlies and showers hardly get me jumping in the car and heading off for a day out.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
14 minutes ago, markyo said:

I agree. Whilst I like warmth in the Summer I cannot do with the sun streaming in at ridiculous o'clock. I'm guessing you have an east facing bedroom. Where I used to live many years ago I had the same problem and that was before blackout curtains were widely available. When there was a sunny morning it was just awful from late April into August . I'm sure it effected my sleep too as I felt tired more than usual at that time of year I think because of the early sun rise shining in.

Edited by Frost HoIIow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
7 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

I agree. Whilst I like warmth in the Summer I cannot do with the sun streaming in at ridiculous o'clock. I'm guessing you have an east facing bedroom. Where I used to live many years ago I had the same problem and that was before blackout curtains were widely available. When there was a sunny morning it was just awful from late April into August . I'm sure it effected my sleep too as I felt tired more than usual at that time of year I think because of the early sun rise shining in.

I have a N facing bedroom and that can be bad enough in high summer. On hot, humid days you can be waking up in a pool of your own sweat. Hate spells like that in summer but each to their own I suppose!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
1 hour ago, Frost HoIIow said:

We really should be on CET, would delay the early sunrise by a vital hour. Bring on the warmth though, temperatures 6 degrees colder than normal in May (as indicated by some models) is tedious.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms
1 hour ago, CreweCold said:

I have a N facing bedroom and that can be bad enough in high summer. On hot, humid days you can be waking up in a pool of your own sweat. Hate spells like that in summer but each to their own I suppose!

I'm soon to be moving from a downstairs westerly facing bedroom which cools off nicely at night to a SE facing upstairs bedroom. Sultry nights when trying to sleep aren't my cup of tea either but I love being outside on such nights.

• Like 1

Posted

Just hoping for a normal uk summer,several 25c spells,nothing touching that dreaded 30c mark,no humidity and the odd thunder storm....me thinks just a lala wish list but one can live in hope!

Posted

What a surprise yet another Bank Holiday weekend of 9c dross on the cards, I can't with this climate lately, is it not bad enough we had to suffer bland 8-12c temps allllllll winter, all Spring and now into MAY.

Posted

Would be very surprised if this summer really produced any real long settled spells to be honest,think it could be record breaker for all the wrong reasons.

Posted

does seem to be a reccuriing theme over the 3 years or so, mild winters, coolish summer overall,  with the odd fleeting heatwave, the last prologed summer heatwave was july 2013, its seemed to go on a couple of weeks, slighty relented then reloaded the heat and sunshine  , until august which was meh, since then heatwaves are short sweet and rare, just like severe deep cold in winter,   yes our climate is now perpetual autumn :nonono:

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
11 minutes ago, snowblizzard said:

If only we could have seen this set-up in early January!! (speaking as a cold & snow lover!)

Sodding El Nino!

Having said that, clear skies and already 10C here so it's not all bad.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot

I hope the current synoptics aren't a reloading of those of the past few years:  low anchors itself over the North Sea and fills, only to be replaced with a new one. Rinse and repeat until September.  Does anyone know the reason for this stalling?  Cold winds all through the "warm" months with the heat just across the North Sea and the Channel?  Steep temperature gradients across just 20-30 miles.  The jet diverts downwards to south of the UK, then to return northwards to resume its original course.  

To be a little crude, looking at the thickness charts, a sea of red surrounding us far to the north, while here in the UK a blob of green snot dangling from the Arctic sticks hard to us.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
16 minutes ago, Wildswimmer Pete said:

I hope the current synoptics aren't a reloading of those of the past few years:  low anchors itself over the North Sea and fills, only to be replaced with a new one. Rinse and repeat until September.  Does anyone know the reason for this stalling?  Cold winds all through the "warm" months with the heat just across the North Sea and the Channel?  Steep temperature gradients across just 20-30 miles.  The jet diverts downwards to south of the UK, then to return northwards to resume its original course.  

To be a little crude, looking at the thickness charts, a sea of red surrounding us far to the north, while here in the UK a blob of green snot dangling from the Arctic sticks hard to us.

High pressure over Scandinavia doesn't help as it can't move east

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
2 hours ago, Wildswimmer Pete said:

Let's hope the pattern is completely different this year. The one you accurately described is beyond dreary and we've had more than our fair share of cool, cloudy crap in summer. Opposite situation in E Europe where relentless heat and drought has become equally dreary and much more uncomfortable. 

• Like 1