Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring moans, ramps, chat and banter

Paul

Posted

I was wondering whether there is a strong case for closing the MOD discussion thread between the Feb, 1st and the the 31st Dec, because of lack of severe cold and snow and thus interest. The interesting weather, of which there would be plenty, within this period could be adequately discussed in the various dedicated threads.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair Weather, Snow, Thunderstorms

Just had a massive downgrade on the GFS, yesterday showing max of 19c, now gone back to single digits and rain :angry:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
56 minutes ago, jpro747 said:

Just had a massive downgrade on the GFS, yesterday showing max of 19c, now gone back to single digits and rain :angry:

Yup, highly irritating. Let's hope it's not yet another summer of models over egging the westward extent of any warmth/plumes in the 7 day period. Saying that, still chances for a few days of decent-ish weather for more SE parts which suits me!

4 hours ago, jpro747 said:

You should've taken notice of the ECM runs, never wanting any of that warmth and being very consistent in keeping it cooler, lots seem to rave over ECM's accuracy in Winter yet magically ignore it in Spring/Summer. :D

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, Eugene said:

You should've taken notice of the ECM runs, never wanting any of that warmth and being very consistent in keeping it cooler, lots seem to rave over ECM's accuracy in Winter yet magically ignore it in Spring/Summer. :D

It's all a bit of a myth really. The models are every bit as bad in summer, except of course in summer, it's summery weather that's always 10 days away!

• Like 1

Posted

Shocking weekend after the initial forecast, washout yesterday morning, sun didn't break through till after 4 and then grey grey grey today.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Interesting weather
37 minutes ago, conor123 said:

Shocking weekend after the initial forecast, washout yesterday morning, sun didn't break through till after 4 and then grey grey grey today.

It was mild though here, grey, but stiflingly warm sometimes, got lots done in the garden and then when the rain came I just felt grateful I didn't have to water anything. I guess the only thing the next couple of weeks might screw up is frosting my young plants if I forget to put them under cover. 

On 3 April 2016 at 11:07 PM, Woollymummy said:

It was mild though here, grey, but stiflingly warm sometimes, got lots done in the garden and then when the rain came I just felt grateful I didn't have to water anything. I guess the only thing the next couple of weeks might screw up is frosting my young plants if I forget to put them under cover. 

Really??   No real surprise to see some cold winter eye candy appearing in the models now the search for warmth has begun in earnest. Said it before and I'll say it again, UK..... undisputed world champion of right synoptics, wrong time of year, whatever the season.:wallbash:

Posted
1 hour ago, coldcomfort said:

Really??   No real surprise to see some cold winter eye candy appearing in the models now the search for warmth has begun in earnest. Said it before and I'll say it again, UK..... undisputed world champion of right synoptics, wrong time of year, whatever the season.:wallbash:

I think people get a bit carried away with blocking in spring. it's common - much more common than in winter. The output at present is very "springlike" in reality (perhaps a bit wetter than you might hope for). The charts aren't showing anything "early summerlike"  or "very late winter like" but they are undeniably "springlike".

It's the 5th of April. Personally i'd be happy to get a couple of below average months out of the way now before summer (I know it doesn't work like that really). We all know May will be a predominantly northwesterly month and be breezy and cool as is now the fashion.

plus it's quite nice out now.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, thunderstorms, cold, snowy winters.

I actually think it's rather horrible outside at the moment!!  Cool, breezy, actually quite cloudy, and quite frankly not at all pleasant...

Posted
16 minutes ago, Lukey said:

I actually think it's rather horrible outside at the moment!!  Cool, breezy, actually quite cloudy, and quite frankly not at all pleasant...

ha! i'll rephrase - it's quite nice out here at the moment! Although it certainly won't be after tomorrow for a while.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, thunderstorms, cold, snowy winters.
1 hour ago, Certain kind of fool said:

ha! i'll rephrase - it's quite nice out here at the moment! Although it certainly won't be after tomorrow for a while.

I just think it's where I live..  It just always seems to be cloudy and benign here..  I've still just got loads of dark, low broken cloud all packed together with no space for that 'pleasant' sun to get through..  

Posted

Our new subtropical climate happily continues. We had two summer days already. 27°C today. And of course dry as hell. Ugh.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

I think the position of that slow moving low is not helping with peoples sanity, it is in a position where you could easily see a spell of very warm weather develop (Moves westwards and allows heights to build over Europe) or we could also see a very late blast of Arctic conditions if the system moves eastwards and develops a deep Euro trough. At the moment we are getting neither and are often seeing charts with cool cyclonic easterlies which would be pretty wet and cloudy.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
3 hours ago, daz_4 said:

Our new subtropical climate happily continues. We had two summer days already. 27°C today. And of course dry as hell. Ugh.

pass it 'ere then! 27 just about okay, hate 30 plus though

On ‎03‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 10:31 PM, conor123 said:

Yeah shocking after all the hype, no warmth at all, charts for foreseeable are shocking too, with a massive greenland high forming and the risk of fronts stalling over the midlands, tired of this cool cloudy spring, the meadow near me is still flooded with more rain to come.

Posted
8 hours ago, Eugene said:

Yeah shocking after all the hype, no warmth at all, charts for foreseeable are shocking too, with a massive greenland high forming and the risk of fronts stalling over the midlands, tired of this cool cloudy spring, the meadow near me is still flooded with more rain to come.

the outlook this morning is fairly grim it has to be said. I'm all for "getting it out of the way before summer" but I remember thinking that in 2012! I wonder how late in spring it will be before 20c is reached (unless that has already happened and I've missed it?)? Still, in 1983 it took until 25th May for 20c to be reached and July and August ended up being very hot. 2006 it took until may for 20c to be reached and again it was a great summer.

Posted

It looks like Scotland will do well for snow next week (and I am not just talking about the ski resorts).

Winter has been diabolical as we all know but I am glad that spring is not a continuation of the above average temperatures we've had for so long.

• Like 3

Posted
2 hours ago, Certain kind of fool said:

the outlook this morning is fairly grim it has to be said. I'm all for "getting it out of the way before summer" but I remember thinking that in 2012! I wonder how late in spring it will be before 20c is reached (unless that has already happened and I've missed it?)? Still, in 1983 it took until 25th May for 20c to be reached and July and August ended up being very hot. 2006 it took until may for 20c to be reached and again it was a great summer.

This is true, and in 2007, 2008, 2012 as examples, 20c was reached and broken quite early into Spring with an abundance of settled weather however come the Summer the weather and temperatures went rapidly downhill. So if more periods of unsettled weather early Spring means that longer periods of settled weather and warmer temperatures follow later into the season into Summer I don't mind :) And the immediate outlook for my location at least isn't that bad, a mixture of sunny spells and showers but nothing continuously unsettled like this past November-January.

Edited by wishingforsnow

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

A blustery fresh day here today with some showers,really what april or at least the first half of the month should be about. Seasonal if a bit cooler then average.

Looks like the first half of this spring will come in below average overall which im sure is a bit of a disappointment to those who looked for warmth but after such a mild winter im not too surprised.

Posted
19 minutes ago, knocker said:

Oh for a nice easterly blast

gfs_t2maf_slp_ceur_45.png

Warm air over a cold sea only leads to cloud and fog at this time of the year though (The North sea is still only about 8C at the moment).

A SSW plume would be more reliable for warm weather.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

The UK looks like returning to the warmer side of the low pressure so least it wont be cold rain. Nice warmth building across the channel too.

Rt850m7.gif

Edited by Milhouse
  • Like 3