Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring moans, ramps, chat and banter

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

That table confirms what my general impression has been i.e. not a huge amount of sun but not awful, except for last week when Tue-Sun saw a grand total of 5hrs of sunshine over those 6 days. I'd also contend that not all 0h sun days are equal. Some can be cloudy but bright, then there's what we had last week, constant very low cloud, often misty and rarely even a hint of brightness. But hey, at least it stayed dry and fairly calm so nobody was flooded or had their roof ripped off.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Cheer up coldies, winter is coming! Just another 8 and a bit months to wait:yahoo::D

winteriscoming.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
7 hours ago, MP-R said:

Oh good. Looks like we're entering the time of year when rainbands are timing themselves during the day now.

never changes, all year round it happens

Posted
8 hours ago, Nouska said:

Richard is essential reading in this household - for the times hubby is homesick for the NE. :whistling:

I would question the validity of the sunshine hours on the link John posted: yes, more sunshine than Richard mentions but I regularly check the satellite images and there looked to have been little in the way of clear conditions at Dyce.

Edit after typing before looking properly - the graph is correct, I didn't read the scale correctly.

Tabular format from Meteociel.  65e64d7f4722e66786bf65acdb8ab383.png

http://www.meteociel.fr/climatologie/villes.php?code=3091&mois=3&annee=2016

The conditions have been exactly as I described. Here are the sun totals since the 9th which are taken from own sunshine recorder mounted on my roof:

9th: 0.5hrs

10th: 0.8hrs

11th:0.5hrs

12th: 0.1hrs

13th: 4.5hrs

14th: 11.1hrs

15th: 0.2hrs

16th: 0.0hrs

17th: 0.7hrs

18th: 0.7hrs

19th: 0.1hrs

20th: 3.5hrs

Total = 22.7hrs = 46% of average for that period.

As I said yesterday, the first week was sunny with 37.0hrs plus 4.3hrs on the 8th makes a grand total of 64.0hrs for the first 20 days = 81% of average. 

Total for 2013 was 74.0hrs so without the first week the month would undoubtedly be worse than that which was the dullest so far this century.

Edited by Paul
  • Like 2

Posted
38 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

Cheer up coldies, winter is coming! Just another 8 and a bit months to wait:yahoo::D

winteriscoming.jpg

dreading it, gone off winter, 3 months of rain and Gales not really my thing

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
26 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

dreading it, gone off winter, 3 months of rain and Gales not really my thing

No I hear its going to be colder, La Nina and with lower solar activity, anyway...just over 33 weeks to go!:cold:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

The Dyce sunshine stats on the Weatheronline graph do match up well with Richard2901's observations when you look closely, suggesting less than 25 hours of sunshine in  the past 12 days.  

In general, for much of eastern Scotland and north-east England, it has been much duller than average from early-November onwards, with the notable exception of mid to late February, when it was exceptionally sunny.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Confused of Chesham......the newspapers are full of talk of a white Easter...hardly unusual for a March holiday... but my Netweather seven day forecast only has horrid rain and a south westerly....  

Posted
9 hours ago, Ravendane said:

Confused of Chesham......the newspapers are full of talk of a white Easter...hardly unusual for a March holiday... but my Netweather seven day forecast only has horrid rain and a south westerly....  

no way is it going to snow at Easter in the south, papers full of bollixECM1-120.GIF?22-12

as you say SW'ly, temps around 9°C I'd think

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
9 hours ago, Ravendane said:

Bit like how the newspapers said it would be the coldest winter since god knows when ect top tip ignore the newspapers they are wrong more times than they are right

I would like to congratulate the UK Met Office on an accurate forecast since the weekend of March 12th/13th, another dullfest here today and feeling chilly, they were spot on with this cloudy chilly anticyclonic theme for many areas, max temps have only been 10C/11C here on the few sunnier days and lower on the many overcast days.

Posted

yes, W midlands really struggled with cloud, nearly always the same, as we are in the middle, mist cloud reaches us from all seas

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Well the above is not the case here. If the MO symbol forecasts had been right it would have been cloudy virtually every day since about last Sunday 13th!!! Far from it and about half of the days since have been brilliant. A rather mixed spell. All days have pretty much been either very sunny or very cloudy. But a good 4 or so days where the symbol forecasts way overestimated the cloud amounts here. Some very pleasant early spring days. I am fairly pleased with this high pressure spell. Can't complain for March here. :) 

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

It's certainly not been comparable to 2012 which was even sunnier than 2003 in Leeds and it's also lacked the real warmth of 2012 or 2011 but it's been okay. A few too many cloudy days for my liking but it has come sunny quite a lot and to go 14 full days without precipitation even in March is very impressive. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms
1 hour ago, Eugene said:

LOL, As soon as that miserable two week high pressure cell has moved away and we have low pressure in charge we have managed to record our warmest and sunniest day here. :)

Are we not actually under a ridge of high pressure today?

Still it's Been a gorgeous day and very nice at 14c. Had a long pleasant walk around our local woodlands. Still the high pressure just gone was good enough here with about half the days being sunny. Very rare a high pressure at this time of year will be completely sunny.

Posted
2 hours ago, Eugene said:

LOL, As soon as that miserable two week high pressure cell has moved away and we have low pressure in charge we have managed to record our warmest and sunniest day here. :)

not surprised, low pressure always warmer than high, from Nov to early Apr, soon though time of year will change to cooler and wetter/ warmer/drier

where as winter, low pressure warm, high pressure cold

Posted

There is still a fair bit of uncertainty regarding Monday. Chief Forecaster:

An area of low pressure is expected to rapidly deepen to the southwest of the UK later on Sunday and then run northeastwards across England and Wales on Monday accompanied by some very strong winds, large coastal waves and heavy rain. There remains a fair amount of uncertainty over the track and timing of this system and so where and when the peaks of strongest winds will occur. However, there is a continuing signal for a period of disruptive winds, perhaps now more focussed towards southeastern parts of England. This alert will be updated on Sunday in light of further information.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

British Summer Time begins soon :D

• Like 2

Posted
5 hours ago, Milhouse said:

British Summer Time begins soon :D

Always an important psychological step to summer. The sudden extra light in the evening is a real boost. :D Of course it is darker in the mornings again for a bit but after 2-3 weeks it's back where it was till now anyway. :)

• Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, Conor Edwards said:

Here's hoping its not gonna be another year of the 'weekend curse', be nice to actually get some garden days after that winter and only about 2 nice day's on  weekends out of the whole of last year.

U conor123 from telford? but would be yeah, already Sun 3rd looks wet

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Lovely drive over the woodhead pass this morning,driving snow,pretty tricky,nice way to finish easter!